Motor took a dump

Scott Stone

Okay John,
I have a 20 horse Honda motor that died last night.
It was running fine then all of the sudden I heard a wir like a puley was touching the backing plate of the washer, and about a minute later I heard a plink sound and then it died. It turns over, it is getting fuel and there is no clunking sound like a thrown rod. The motor is about 2 months old.
You got any ideas?

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
One way to check to see if for sure its not a rod is to take both sparkplugs out insert a small rod or screwdriver in the holes and turn the engine over,if it pushes them out your ok on the rod not being throwed.This will help wiz better to answer your q'tion.

------------------
When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.
When In Doubt,,,Think It Out.....triplel@bscn.com

HI-Pressure

The larger twin Honda's have been known to break camshafts. You can sometime tell by the way the engine cranks. Does it sound funny while starting? They have also sheared flywheel keys for no apparent reasons. I thought Honda had all these problems corrected but who knows. Please post the actual problem if you have a chance.

Hi-Pressure
Daren Marshall

------------------

H

Hotwaterwizard

Honda has a 1 year warrantee. If you take it to any Honda dealer in your area by it's self they will warrantee it. If it is on a pressure washer they might not.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com If You have a problem with your machine, just ask me for help. Check out the Machine Problem Board

oguard

It appears Honda has had a problem with some of their new 20 hp twins at around 200 hours of operation. Inside the crankcase is a plastic paddle that splash lubricates the motor. These have failed on some motors causing the oil alert to prevent the engine form running. It should be covered under warranty regardless of whether or not it is mounted on a pressure washer. The other problem could be related to the initial fill of oil. Honda says in their manual to put X amount into the crankcase, they do not say to subtract the amount in the oil filter from this volume. Overfilling the crankcase causes oil to blow-by and foul the carburetor causing an increasing reluctance to start and run until it will not work at all. Simply cleaning the upper cylinders and the air box/cleaner and carb will fix this. This is not viewed as a warranty claim unfortunately.

Hope this helps? Cheers.[font=Trebuchet <FONT COLOR="Black">Text</FONT c>

Craig Knight

Always seems a motor runs it's best right before it takes a dump on you. Go figure.

------------------
Craig Knight
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
take it to a-z and let the warranty guys fix it.

where did you buy it?

------------------
Ron Marshal Phoenix AZ
1-888-fleetwash

Scott Stone

I bought it at APD. I ended up paying less for a 20 horse HOnda from them than A to Z wanted for a 16 hp Briggs with the smaller charging system.
I talked to the service men at APD and they said that the little plastic paddle melted inside the engine and gummed up the works and made it break the crank. Now they have to wait for the Honda Rep to give them the blessing to R and R the motor.
They were happy to work on the motor on the pressure washer. I know that A to Z has made me take off the motor in their parking lot before to have it repaired.
Hopefully they will have Honda's blessing this morning so that I can use it tomorrow.
Otherwise it could be a really long one, and 16 hours is the norm for a saturday.

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Craig Knight

I can't comprehend the fact that it's widely known that the plastic peice breaks causing the crank shaft to fail, yet they have to get approval from Honda to fix it. My dealer would fix the thing then talk to honda. Especially if it is a known problem. Plus, it has to be fixed or replaced anyway.

I know things happen, like a motor crashing at 2 months, but i surely wouldnt allow them to make me wait to repair a 2 month old engine. Or, i would definetly try not to. Good Luck

------------------
Craig Knight
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Scott Stone

I have been waiting on them, and they have been dragging their feet. First they had to call HOnda, and wait a day or so for them to get back. Then the Rep had to come out and look at it. He hasn't got there yet. He got tied up at another customers. Now it looks like we are going to be down a machine for the weekend. This sucks.
I guess we will start at 3:30 and get done at 10:00. Another night of little sleep. What a life!!

------------------
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Our Sponsors