My relief valve blew. Now low pressure!

zing

Was washing with the burner on and let go of the trigger which lets the unloader recirculate back into my 65 gallon tank. Within minutes the relief valve blew letting out lots of steam. I shut the machine off and held the trigger to let out all the steam (and lots of it). I assumed my burner was not kicking off when I let off the trigger, so I used cold water to work. Started up and black water came out for awhile, then clear. I checked the pressure and it was getting up to 3000.

Today (two days later) my machine was only getting up to 2000 PSI.

What has happened?

------------------

H

Hotwaterwizard

There are two types of pop-off.
1) High pressure
The first is a saftey device incase your unloader fails the pressure has somewhere to go. When the machine is shut off they usually reset. If your pressure is set too high on your unloader it will pop-off. Turn your unloader down or adjust the pop-off to a higher pressure. A temperary fix is a plug. Remove it and put a plug in it's place just to get your job done. Then replace it the next day or so.
2) High temperature
It pops-off when the water temp is too high.
There are two types of this kind.
The first is usually set for 140 deg. It is usually near or on the pump. It's function is to protect your pump from over heating when it is left in the bypass mode too long. The water heats up from friction and when it gets to the set temp of the pop-off it will open up and let cold water in the pump head. It will reset when the temp gets to an acceptable level.
The second type is usually on the coil output. It will open when the water gets about 325 deg. It usually has led in it and the led melts when the temp is too high. It will not reset. Itr must be replaced. A temporary fix is the same as the first type. A plug to get the job done then replace it asap.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com If You have a problem with your machine, just ask me for help. Check out the Machine Problem Board

rvagnoni

Wix,

What exactly are you referring to when you say to plug? Can you explain further for me please.

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus
Find a purpose in life so big it will challenge every capacity to be at your best.
--David O. McKay

H

Hotwaterwizard

thinkerg.gif
Plug
Used to stop water from flowing out of a hole.
Pressure washers have them on unloaders for unused ports and on the pump head for unused ports. The standard sizes used on pressure washers are 1/4 npt, 3/8npt, and 1/2npt.
npt=National Pipe Thread.
You can buy a plug at any hardware store.
Some are Brass some are Steel some are Galvinized.
The head is sometimes square, sometimes hex, and sometimes have an Allen.
They are used to plug a hole so water won't go out.
You have a large plug on your sewer cleanout at home.
The size is alot bigger but never the less it is a plug.
fart.gif
No your finger won't work to do this job the pressure is too high.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com If You have a problem with your machine, just ask me for help. Check out the Machine Problem Board

Our Sponsors