Soda Basting

D

David l Saulque

Has anyone used soda bicarb. as a cleaning agent? I have been testing a system out of Canada with mixed results. I am using a 125 cfm compressor along with the soda pot and so on. The original idea was to service hood systems-proved to be a poor idea-I can return the system but I do see the benefit of the system-any ideas? My service is 100% food service.

Dave Olson

Hi David,

What are the mixed results? We have a Wado system(water rather than air). Have never tried it in a kithen exhaust system.

Dave Olson

------------------
Tidy Powerwash Service, Inc. P.O. Box 781, Catlin, Illinois 61817 Phone 217-427-5557, Fax 217-427-2632 We are a commercial cleaning contractor serving East-Central Illinois and West Central Indiana since 1984. http://www.tps-inc.com

D

David l Saulque

Originally posted by Dave Olson:
Hi David,

What are the mixed results? We have a Wado system(water rather than air). Have never tried it in a kithen exhaust system.

Dave Olson

The main problems with the air system are 1. must be at point of sight 2. With the hose system you are unable to get into tight places, like found in most kitchen hood systems. 3. Dust is overpowering. 4. Units use 4 plus bags per hour. To use the system indoors in open air has its limits. However in carbon locations, the system works very well. However setup and cleanup, takes away the gain. We have put days into this system trying to make it work for what we intened and we can only come up with a negitive.
I would like to market this cleaning system but I am not sure how. My company focus is only hoods, hoever I could go into other limited areas.

Jon

I am about to purchase a soda system, my intended use would be stucco cleaning, (algae etc.) possible graffiti and ??

Have heard good and bad about soda, from what I hear it can be just as harmful to plants as degreaser if not used properly. That being the case is it safer for our ******nment or is it just a marketing ploy?

That hardest part is finding companies that sell soda at a reasonable price. Also perhaps you two know where I can buy it and another product called Calcium Carbonate (Carbo Jet) in or around Southern Calif.

Feel free to Email me information, good and bad about your use of soda. The system I plan to buy is a hopper system using, not a probe type.

Jon

------------------
Beep beep, the OPC Roadrunner's cleaning up concrete etcetera.

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Jon on March 19, 2000 ]</font>

Dave Olson

Hi Jon,

Just bought a pallet of soda (49 50# bags). Our cost $23.50/bag plus freight.

I think I would stay with detergent/acid type products for stucco. We like the soda for graffiti removal.

The pallet of soda that we just got was used at an industrial account. We cleaned the inside of two 12,000 gallon stainless kettles. Three days, three men, $7000.

The atvantage of using water rather than air is, there is no dust and very little clean-up(we rinse it down the drain).

Dave Olson

------------------
Tidy Powerwash Service, Inc. P.O. Box 781, Catlin, Illinois 61817 Phone 217-427-5557, Fax 217-427-2632 We are a commercial cleaning contractor serving East-Central Illinois and West Central Indiana since 1984. http://www.tps-inc.com

D

David l Saulque

Originally posted by Dave Olson:
Hi Jon,

Just bought a pallet of soda (49 50# bags). Our cost $23.50/bag plus freight.

I think I would stay with detergent/acid type products for stucco. We like the soda for graffiti removal.

Give Van Waters & Rogers a try on the Arm & Hamer # 5 Grade cost is around .38 cents. My system is dry hoever I do have a water device that holds the dust down. How are you getting the jobs for your soda system? Like the example that you gave with the kettle and so on. Being a hood cleaner only , I could move into other areas. I service over 400 food service units in Norther California.

The pallet of soda that we just got was used at an industrial account. We cleaned the inside of two 12,000 gallon stainless kettles. Three days, three men, $7000.

The atvantage of using water rather than air is, there is no dust and very little clean-up(we rinse it down the drain).

Dave Olson

D

David l Saulque

Originally posted by David l Saulque:

To Dave Olson

I am not sure why my mesg. was set within your mesg. Give Van Waters a call re: # 5 grade soda.

David

Scott Stone

Jon,
Isn't it Calcium carbonate that they mine in the Lucerne Valley? I think you might be able to get it from Pleuss-Stauffer there. Of course, it could be just a brain fart
smile.gif

------------------
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Just a guy driving around trying to make a living washing trucks, Wouldn't know a deck if it bit me in the hind quarters,

Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Dave Olson

Hello David,

We really have not done anything special to get these jobs. We have done work for this plant before. They had a problem a couple of years ago and asked if we could clean the interior of one of their tanks. They were amazed what the soda did. Even made comments like "This tank(kettle)has never been this clean since I have been with the company!".

Whenever they call it is usually a very rush job. Good money for us though. Sometimes really difficult to get everything done as quickly as they want/need.

Dave Olson

------------------

Our Sponsors