Cheap Remote Control

HI-Pressure

Hey All,

I was over at Pep-Boys about a week ago and found a remote control for fog lights. With my discount the price was $23.98. Normal cost on it is $29.99. It is made by Rally. The range seems to be about 150ft. It has a 30amp latching relay built in so no need to add. It is only one channel though: able to control one soap valve. It seems to work great and is very simple to wire.

Daren Marshall

Hi-Pressure

------------------

H

Hotwaterwizard

<FONT size="5"><FONT COLOR="green"> I told you guys those things would do the job!</FONT c></FONT s>

------------------

tzahlman

Have heard people talk about these remotes for a while now but am not sure what they are or what they do, Can anyone fill me in on this?

Thanks

Tom @ CleanImage Powerwashing
beer.gif

------------------

H

Hotwaterwizard

Some people use them to switch their chemicals on and off from a key chain remote like a car alarm has. Some use it for starting and stopping their engine on their Pressure washer. The average price for this industry is $1500. I found out that a remote starter for a car will do the same job for $100 or less. The one I tryed was only $29.95 and it worked for 250 feet.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com If You have a problem with your machine, just ask I'll help if I can.

Mike Taylor

Does that foglight switch work for start stop of the machine as well? I only use cold water and all I want is the ability to start and shut down my machine from the roof or whatever I am working on. If you guys have found a really cheap way to do this I would love to know....and if its a pepboys part can ya give me the model number? I went to Pep Boys near my house just a few minutes ago and they just gave me the deer in the headlights look when I asked them about the remote for foglights. I have been itching to set up a system like this for my machine, now the bug has got me and I am determined to have it asap. Thanks for the info
smile.gif
Mike

------------------
Always Under Pressure Inc Mike Taylor Pompano Beach Fla USA
"Oh Lord Its Hard To Be Humble When You Are ME.....lol " :)

H

Hotwaterwizard

Originally posted by Mike Taylor:
Does that foglight switch work for start stop of the machine as well? I only use cold water and all I want is the ability to start and shut down my machine from the roof or whatever I am working on. If you guys have found a really cheap way to do this I would love to know....and if its a pepboys part can ya give me the model number? I went to Pep Boys near my house just a few minutes ago and they just gave me the deer in the headlights look when I asked them about the remote for foglights. I have been itching to set up a system like this for my machine, now the bug has got me and I am determined to have it asap. Thanks for the info
smile.gif
Mike

You can not use a latching relay to Start the engine. It must be momentary. However you can use it to stop the engine by using a ground on it and connecting the output to the kill on the engine.

------------------
Hotwaterwizard@aol.com If You have a problem with your machine, just ask I'll help if I can.

onecallpowerw

Most start/stop remote controls are bad for your engines. This is due to the increased startup/shutdown. To elongate your engine life you should always start it at a lower rpm level and increase the rpm manually. Think about it. Stopping it also can cause problems due to the sudden stoppage vs. graduall reduction.

I would not promote it although it would help on the amount of trips. I would only use the remotes for soap valves. This will not hurt your unit.

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
I used to think the same thing Gordon,I would not start one wideopen nor shut one down while still wideopen.The powerwasher I have now is humm 2/3 years old and it has always been started wideopen and shut down while still wideopen.I have changed my mind in my thinking,its doesn't hurt them at all to start and shut down wideopen.I now think its better to do so,why,b/c a employee can not idle it down while useing the burner system.IMO I think its ok to start and stop while wideopen..

onecallpowerw

Good info larr, Have you been running your units for 2/3 years that way ? If so, I may think another way also. It sure would save on the walks, although after this winter, I could stand to lose a few pounds if ya know what I mean. I tried just the fish diet that your on, but can only stand so much fish. LOL.

Oh by the way, do ya think it will work on my kohelers without damaging them ? We have 4 18 hp kohelers.

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Like I said before I used to think like you,matter fact I couldn't run one without a idler.Cold morning starts I thought was bad on the small engine and shutting it off when hot without idling it down was a no no.

Yes, I have been starting and shutting this one down for 2/3 years,I lose count one that stuff wihout doing a little bookwork :eek:.I see no reason that the kohelers cann't handle it either,I'm running B&S engine's.I have not had a mounts trouble with running it that way,even on cold morning starts and hot shut downs.If you have employee's thats the only way they should be plumbed,dropping psi is as simple as changing tips without idling it down.Sometimes the old ways cann't be beat and sometimes its better to try newer things as the every ending changing of tec knowledge.

WashWagon

My engine rpm rarely gets touched. I have a Briggs Vanguard that has 1100 hrs. on it and has remained close to wide open its entire life. Think about it, all generator engines run wide open (or close to it) all of the time. Some hot water skids are factory set wide open for their burners to operate properly. You MAY be able to get a LITTLE more engine life by slowing it down during start-up or shut down, but I don't think it would be enough to notice or worry about.

John

Dan S

I have had a remote on my p/wer for 2 years . It is the only way to go . I love it !

I bought the one from mechantronics. It's like having an employee around but not paying them .........

as far as hurting the unit b/c of a remote. It has never happend with me ...................I would recommend the remote for anybody that has a machine..............My van can be sitting outside and While Im inside with all the garage doors closed and @ least 200' away.........washing fork-lifts or the floors I can turn on/off heat............. soap.............. and the clutch without going to the machine......................>>

onecallpowerw

Can someone post a diagram on how to properly/safely install ? Also, Dan S. what did you pay from mechantronics ? Would love to know. I was under the impression that this would hurt but hey, what do I know. So much for havin that second guy around, I could probably reduce staff by at least 1/3.

Hey larr, your fired. That vacation you took 18 years ago is over. Dont understand why ya went to Arkansas anyway, more fish back here near the real water (Atlantic) oh yeah, you go for the small stuff. (Just Raggin on ya) Thanks for the info.

Dan S

You can probably go to their web and get all the info you want
They used to be a sponsor here .........not sure if they still are or not.

www.mechatronicproducts.com

Not sure what I paid .................. I would contact them and get a current price !!

I cant see where having one would hurt the machine . I believe it's just the other way around................ I turn on my 18hp vanguard let it warm up for a bit then when im ready to spray I hit the remote and it turns on the clutch ...... as a matter of fact I can leave the vanguard run all day long with the clutch dis-engaged the pump wont run untill you engage the clutch.

It's the only way to go !!

Mike Gwas

How about the life of the chem valves that remotes control. I have a terrible time finding a chem valve that lasts.....

onecallpowerw

Holy smokes Dan S. What were ya thinkin ? Those prices can only be for those high rollers up there in P.A. Country. I like the Pep Boys Price better. He.., thats a years salary for someone like me. What da ya think ?

Dan S

Mike,
I use nothing but Dema.
It has the soilnoid (spelling) and injector all in one........... I have had great success with those.

Onecall................... just spend the $$ man ........... you cant take it with you .............. and besides it is the best thing next to sliced bread............. I cant see any mobile washer NOT using this. It saves a ton of work and it also saves on your p/wer.

Im getting ready to put one on my cold unit That I built this winter!

Dan S

Maybe we can buy VOLUME .............. what kind of price can you give us Mark if we can get enough guys to order the complete package?

A pwn special? from Mark??????????????

B.E YOUNG Sr

Some of the other boards also have some good info on this topic.

I am sure that the one Mark is refering to is much more durable though.

Our Sponsors