Update on Dead truck

Jon

<FONT size="6"><FONT COLOR="Red">DEAD Dodge Ram</FONT s></FONT c>

Was warming up my truck this morning and noticed SMOKE, no not fire but still something burnt up under the hood.

Took 3 turns of the key for engine to engage but now I think I burnt up much more then that, do not know how many minutes it was smoking since I was bring computer from house to truck.

Turned off key and motor keep running, unhooked battery and motor kept running, panicked, then remembered I have two batteries, unhooked second one and motor stops.

Now if I touch pos and neg on either battery it not only sparks but chips away at the post, I assume there is a short in the circuit but not being all the that mechanical/electrical not sure what it is.

Yes it smells like electric burn, stinks is better word.

Just how good are those FORD'S guys?

I have over 5 grand of extra's added, not factory or dealer.

SERIOUSLY do any of you know enough to possibly offer some serious help. This smoke was coming up from the drivers side under where the brake reservior is, I can see some blacken wires, not sure what they are for and not sure it is smoke or just diesel smoot.

I need this truck up and running, have work to do next week.

------------------
Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

[This message has been edited by Jon (edited January 24, 2001).]

Ken @ Pro-Coat

Jon,

Sounds like the wiring harness has a short between two or more wires inside the rubber/plastic sheathing protecting the whole mess that runs up to your steering column which in turn branches to instrument panel and lights, signals, etc. and also goes to the ignition key. You need a good auto electric person to trace out the short and repair/replace what shorted and burned. Or if you ever hot wired cars for a living in your youth, by pass the key system and run to battery/solenoid and starter to run engine on a temporary basis. Do you have any "backyard mechanics, as a neighbor or friend? They should be able to bail you out of this problem.
Good Luck!!

------------------

bling bling

had something similar to this happen to my car,come outside one day and the car was trying to start on its on,no key ,it was sittin there trying to crank got inside and smelled electrical smoke,i knew right away it was my primary ignition switch located just under(inside) my steering column.i dont know if this your problem .

------------------

Scott Stone

Ford's are great!!!
laughing.gif
Is it still under warranty? If not I would also recommend a good auto electric guy. Find out who the local PD uses. That is not something that goes to the lowest bidder. They will know who the best guy is. It works for transmission work and front end work, too.

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

G

Glenn

Sound like the starter to me.......Since it may have shorted, it probably damaged other things as well.

------------------
"Hmmm, If everyone has a photographic memory... mine must be out of film."

Jon

Thanks guys, I am sure your right about it being wiring burning and the smell is something bad, and it won't go away either.

Scott the warranty expired at 75,000 and I have 80,000 now. Not hard to find out who the local PD uses, one is Redlands auto electric and other is the dealer.

Remy and I have had some serious talks today about fixing it and dumping it. So much so she asked if I would get another long bed and I said NO, short bed is fine unless she wants another RV.

Now whether it is gas or diesel is another question, I love the diesel trucks, but do I want to pay all that much more for another one?

First things first, find out what exactly it is and the cost to fix it, then go from there. Biggest problem is dealer will not pay more then low book and I would loose the $5,000 + extra's I put in it.

Would love to get flat bed added but that would creat storage problems for me, cannot park it on street where I live and won't fit in garage.

Glenn, no kidding it damaged more, all the smoke and that smell of burnt wires/plastic etc. I am surprised it did not catch fire! (hmm, maybe I should have helped on that, then it would have been covered by insurance
smile.gif

------------------
Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

[This message has been edited by Jon (edited January 20, 2001).]

PUREPOWER

Never happened to my Chevy's
beer.gif

FORD found on road dead
dead.gif

FORD fix or repair daily
FORD f----d on race day
FORD f----d-up overweight retarded driver

anymore anyone?

(don't mean to offend, just havin' fun
hapfac01.gif
)

Jon, seriously, have a pro look at it, I tried to find an electical problem in my Blazer one time, ripped half of the dash up, replaced all of the fuses and flashers, had extra screws when I put it back together, ended up being a corroded trailer hitch.
Not as serious as yours, but a mechanic might make you rest easier. By the way, don't buy a Ford.

Jordan

------------------

Jon

You can all rest as I would not even attempt to trace the problem. Hey I change oil and filter, fuel filter, grease and wash it but when it comes to the heavy stuff I do go to the experts.

Don't buy Ford, don't buy Chev, don't buy Dodge.

What is left???????????????/

Wonder if those Volvo trucks are found in this Country?

crawling back in my hole and going to sleep, perhaps I will feel better in the morning with only one day to go before it gets towed into the shop.

Ok, bids start at $18,000, who bids first? going once, going twice, going , Ah you Sir with your finger up, your bid how much, $18,500, very well, post Ron as bidding 18,500, going once, going twice, another hand up, your bid Scott, oh he is showing the longest finger on his hand, that Sir is NOT a bid sorry.

------------------
Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
<FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="Red">Dead Dodge Ram,,,,,,,,
laughing.gif
</FONT c>
</FONT s>
<FONT COLOR="Blue">What about a ford,,,,,,,,,
laughing.gif
</FONT c>

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">Rocks don't burn......try a bowie tie next time ya feel better when ya lay down at night
hapfac01.gif

Think they are 2 or 3 wiring harness that plug into the firewall.Find the one burnt and unplug,they are not that hard to replace,most all connects from it will unplug.More then likely its in your extra's dat you proud of,I would take it to the one dat did that wiring for some of the extra's,they may find the short faster.</FONT c></FONT f>

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Red">How look at ya
eek.gif
,,trying to get one of use to bid on dat sucker
rolleyes.gif
,,,some of us ant dat dum man
icon39.gif
.Some of us are smart enuff to wear bowie ties cuz we don't like carrying a shovel to cover dat stuff up with.The best way to fix a dodge is with a
smash.gif
</FONT c></FONT f>

------------------
When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.
When In Doubt,,,Think It Out.....triplel@bscn.com

L

Layman's P/W

Jon,

It sounds like one of two things....the ignition switch is bad or the starter solenoid has stuck, both of these things would keep sending juice to the starter when it wasn't suppose to causing the wires to over heat and smell,you are lucky, it could have caught fire.

Good luck....Daren

------------------

Mike Hughes

Originally posted by PUREPOWER:
I tried to find an electical problem in my Blazer one time, ripped half of the dash up, replaced all of the fuses and flashers, had extra screws when I put it back together, ended up being a corroded trailer hitch.
Not as serious as yours, but a mechanic might make you rest easier.
Jordan

Jordan..........too bad I wasn't there......I could have told you right away what was wrong with your truck.......it's a chevy! Just kiddin.

Jon......Don't buy a chevy.
laughing.gif

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Scott Stone

Jon,
You know how I hate when that finger goes off.
laughing.gif

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Larry L.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">
laughing.gif
Jon don't listen to'em and get yorn finger down and get some scents about man.How you going to explain to those accounts of yorn telling them ya what ya doing,heck man they tell already ya don't what ya doing before ya even open ya mouth.Look at it this way,do ya think alittle brush fire is going hurt a rock,look what it did to the ram,yel scared it to death.If ya going to trade and get a ford keep yorn eye open on the way there you'll find one setting on the side of the road somewhere just pick ya out one.
hapfac01.gif
tongue.gif
</FONT c></FONT f>

------------------
When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.

Ethan

Chevy - Like A Rock!!!

We run diesels and have over 300,000 on our 94' and or 97' just hit 200,000 hauling soap from here to yonder. Last year we bought a flat bed diesel and It's been great so far.

The only truck I would say that compares to our Chevy's was a 1985 Nissan LWB. It had the same engine in it as the 300 Z's have and when we sold it back in 1997 it had over 450,000 miles on it and we NEVER rebuilt the engine. That was the original do - it - all truck.

It would haul 4 55's at 75 mph down the interstate and never miss a lick!

Last time I saw the truck the same guy who bought it from us was still driving it around and he said it hasn't given him any problems - Yet...

My opinion - Fix your Dodge. they are great trucks too...

Ethan

------------------
Ethan
Mobile Systems Inc.

Jon

The fuel seloniod was main cause of problem, ruined starter and some of the wiring. Insurance adjuster said since there was NO real fire it is not covered, I disagreed and appealed his decission.

His supervisor took at look and said he could smell the cause of it as a fire and my quick action truly did prevent it from catching fire.

End results, they are going to cover repairs minus my deductable.

------------------
Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

J

Jim&Shirley

WE didnt post because I'm like you didnt have answer, only because it wasnt a ford,
but were glad you appealed, and ins is going to pay,
we all have to stand-up for what we know is Right and somtimes we WIN.!!! GLAD EVERTHING WORKED OUT FOR YOU.

JIM & SHIRLEY

------------------

Larry L.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">Hmmmmmm HMMMmmm I think I seen where somebody was trying to do some cussing not sure but I think I seen something
laughing.gif
.Where did it go,I've
look.gif
but don't see it,I
look.gif
again HMMMMmmm really that bad
eek.gif
thats why my ears burn at times I was wondering how come
icon39.gif
.HMMMMMmmmm anyway or am I
look.gif
in wrong spot
tongue.gif
.</FONT c></FONT f>

------------------

Ken @ Pro-Coat

Jon,

Glad to hear that it can be repaired, and the Ins. Co. is going to cover it.

Leads to another question in my mind: The Ins. Co. makes you feel like they did you a hugh favor, covering the damage. In reality, that's one of the reasons for having insurance, to cover a loss. Could never really figure out why we buy ins.,call with a claim, once in a "Blue Moon", wait and hope that the adjuster gives us a positive answer, then have to pay a portion to have it returned to working condition? Then worry about having another claim too soon, as they might cancel you. Sounds like partial ins. coverage? But, they all do it and get the fat premiums. If you ever took the time to list all the ins. coverage you've ever had/have; and total up all the premiums, MOST of us would be shocked at what we pay for is called "peace of mind", and never really get anything in return for it, materially.

Oh, well! Such is life, here on this planet!!!

------------------

Our Sponsors