Pool Cleaning?

Shawn George

Hello All,

Searched the archives, but found very little about pool cleaning.

We did some work a few years ago with a Pool Mgmt Company that used us to summarize commercial in-ground pools. I will be pursuing this again in the spring.

Do any of you get involved in this type of work? Seems like there is some money to be made. (Philadelphia Area).

What's it like in other parts of the country? Is there a market here? Seems like all hotels, and apartment buildings have outdoor pools....

Shawn @ Pressure-Tek

------------------

Mike Hughes

Shawn,

Are you referring to actually cleaning the pool water, etc or powerwashing the concrete around the pool??

Mike

Ken @ Pro-Coat

Shawn,

Here, in Fla. we have pool service companies, or pool supply outfits that have guys(and gals) go out on routes to service residential and commercial pools. And believe it..They must be licensed to do this work, actually take a test to know about pool cleaning and such. But, remember this is Fla. and we have been known to do some weird things in the past!!

------------------
"The best job at a fair price"

Shawn George

Mike & Ken,

Talking about pre-season (summerizing) mostly. The work we did was drain the pool water from previous year, some basic maintenance on filter and pumps, and powerwashing the inside of the concrete pool to make ready for the new season. We used powdered chlorine. Also make pool ready for winter (again with the filters and pumps)

This Pool Mgmt Company contracts to run pools for hotels, apartment buildings, country clubs, retirement villages, anyplace that has a pool. He does the pre and post season stuff to the pool and manages the snack bar, runs the lifeguards, and all other things associated with the pool.

He has a pretty cool operation. Subs out all of his powerwashing and I'd like to get some of the business again now that we're a legitimate company. (Before we were just doing a couple of pools to help him out, but I think there is some potential for this.)

Truthfully, I don't know if the guy is still in business, but I do have contacts at the pools we worked at before. Trying to see from you guys/gals if this is a market or if I am wasting time thinking about it.

We also did some minor concrete work for this guy. Part of his responsibility was safety so he didn't want any cracked or broken pads around the pools. There is good money in working with concrete!! (just thought i'd throw that in there)

Good to hear from you Ken, in your area you could do this work all year round!!!

Thanks,
Shawn @ Pressure-Tek

------------------

Jon

Shawn,

You best be sure it is legal to drain that pool, here in California it is illegal to do that unless there is major work to be done on the pool and a permit is issues.

Has to do with the water conservation act.

I guess in Florida you have plenty of water so it would not be a concern.

My opinion only.

------------------
Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

Shawn George

Thanks for the heads up Jon,

Not sure what the regs are here in PA, (I'll find out though!!)

What I am sure of is if somebody is going to tell me to use the same water from last swimming season, I'm not gettin' involved ! Water around here sits in the pool from September to March or april growing algae, and God knows what else. We've emptied pools that have lawn chairs and tables at the bottom, dead animals that fell under the cover, and that sort of thing.

I think our only choice is to drain, but I don't have all that much experience. (YET!)

Thanks again,
Shawn

PS: Just curious, do they ever have to close up pools in your area or are they open all year round?

------------------

Jon

Shawn,

The public pools, city parks etc. are only open during the summer and THEY drain them, I know it is not fair but you gonna fight city hall?

Now all private pools, hotels, motels etc. are open all year and have weekly, bi-weekly or montly pool service.

That is a big business out here and there are always routes for sale. Like any business you either work it and be tops or you sink and sale for pennies.

A suggestion for you, check out pool covers as a side business, rather then let that water sit cover it so nothing gets in it, sure someone will still have to check the water and add clorex to it but better then chairs, dead animals etc.

No one does pool service back there, in fact for all of you is there no such thing?

------------------
Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

Our Sponsors