What a difference

Rick T

Remember when you were in high school being bad was smoking in the lavatory or skipping classes? Last week an 18 year old high school senior from my alma mater of a zillion years ago was arrested for bringing to school 18 pipe bombs,a sawed-off shotgun and a loaded pistol. More bombs were found at his house.Fortunately no-one was hurt. We have a policeman on duty in the school during school days and he was able to talk the kid into surrendering.You may have heard about it on the evening news.I'm in Elmira, N.Y.What the hell are kids thinking anymore?So far no reason has been given for his actions.

Rick T

------------------

Mike Hughes

It doesn't apply to every case, but it is my personal feeling that the problem with kids today is the degradation of the relationship between the parent and the child. So many kids are shoved in day cares, after school programs, etc.........all so their parents can have a dual income to support their habits (oversized houses, cars, etc). Again, doesn't apply to everyone......some people don't have a choice in the matter.

That is why I work my butt off so my wife can stay home with my kid.

Mike

Jon

Mike is right on there.

What also bothers me at least here in Calif. they want to reward teachers whose students do well.

What they don't understand is it is not the teacher that does the work, they teach, they motivate but if no help comes from home the student does not always do well in school.

Both my daughter and son in law are teachers and anyone that says they have it made can jump in the PRIVY. Teachers spend hours doing work for free at home and on weekends. Ok so much for my bitching even though it is true.

Now any kid that brings guns, bombs etc. to a school should be put in jail but also given the help they need.

------------------
Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

Shawn George

Well, I started my post and it got wayyyyy to long.

Here's the short, short version.

Agree with Mike's reason and I have a few to add.

1. Lack of religion. (personally, I think this is biggest reason) This was the one that made my post so long before i chopped it down.

2. Lack of "respect for elders". Kids don't need to respect elders anymore, if they don't agree with something their parents do to them, they can just sue them,get a restraining order, or better yet, get a DIVORCE !! (What's with that ?!?)

Smart kids can even get away with murder if the lawyer plays the "He/She had a traumatic experience when He/She was little" card.

I remind my kids all the time that in the Old Testament, children who would not obey parents were STONED* !! (*not to be confused with how kids get STONED today)

3. Different pool of role models......(enough said?)

4. Society making noise about how bad it's getting and placing blame on others, instead of admitting fault in the home and working to improve numbers 1,2 and 3.

I'm not even getting into peer pressure, and Jon covered the schools, so I'm done.

This got long anyways.(sorry)

I'm going to work on reason number 1 !!!!

God help our children.
Shawn

------------------

Jon

One other thing and to me this is a very big part of what you call respect.

Parents cannot even DISAPLINE their kids anymore, no spanking's, slapping hand and saying NO, no stand in corner for an hour, no being sent to bed without dinner.

No nothing, it is like we bring the child into this world, feed and clothes them but the law says we MUST allow them to do as they please.

I guess I am old fashioned, I believe that the parents are totally responsible for their minor children and should have the right to punish, NOT ABUSE mind you but punish.

Yes I spanked my kids when it was appropiate, I made them stand in the corner, I sent them to bed without dinner or they eat after we finished and the food was cold.

I think we did a damn good job, neither has ever been in trouble with the law, both hold good jobs. Our family is close and loving, what more could we ask for
smile.gif

There was no swearing, drinking or smoking in front of the kids, I wonder if that had anything to do with it and yes I do *@^$()&_)#%(^_()&*#).

Sure some of you might not agree with me on how to punish but that is your right, not here to disagree on how you bring up your children.

------------------
Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

[This message has been edited by Jon (edited February 22, 2001).]

dartonviper

Hey guys, I agree with you all. A few weeks ago my youngest sons kindergarten teacher wanted to have a meeting. He's getting in trouble daily in school but being good at home. My wife and I went to this meeting and the principal wanted to know if we had any sugestions on what to do. I said to step back in time and paddle his butt. WOW you should of seen the look on that mans face, I thought he was going to call the cops on my idea. Kids must respect, bottom line. Don't get me wrong, I don't spank my kids very often but sometimes they need redirected. I was raised that way and turned out just fine.
Jim

------------------

CSL Enterprises

Jon,

I want to thank you sincerely for your comments regarding teachers, because I happen to be one also. I'm not only a cleaning contractor, I also teach 7th grade math and reading in a suburban district outside of Philadelphia. I see children every day who are lacking self-respect, and in return, they have a hard time giving any to anyone else. I also truly believe it begins in the home, and we unfortunately are in a world now of self-absorbed parents who don't make time for their children. So guess who has to pick up the pieces when the children crumble emotionally? We do. I love my job because I try every day to make every students' experience in my room a positive one, because who knows what is going on in their life outside of my room. It IS a tough job, however, so any time I see or hear someone who understands, I say "thank you." Take Care,

Chris Long
CSL Enterprises

------------------

Shawn George

Here's another one.

A dad shows up at a party to pick up his daughter because he's heard that party is unsupervised....He knocks on the door and goes in to find underaged kids drinking beer and acting proud that they are getting away with it. (his daughter had left the party before he got there.)

The dad demands to use the phone to call the owners of the house to find out why they are not there to supervise.

Cannot reach owners, so he tries to dial 911 and have the cops come to take care of things.

Kids forcably take the phone from him and (4) high school atheletes drag the man outside and beat the crap out of him.....Newspaper said punching and kicking lasted about 15-20 minutes...

It gets better.

The next day, the parents of the kids who beat this guy up, call their lawyers and tell their kids not to cooperate with the authorities. The parents do not cooperate either.

It's now 5 days after this beating occured and (1) kid has come forward to turn himself in. Even so, this kid has a completely different story and his father claims that his kid is the "victim".

What lessons will kids get from this? We'll see.

------------------

Our Sponsors