Travel Time

Robert

Receive a call today to wash Firestone Racing Team truck and trailer. Went to bid on the job and got it. To my surprise the driver ask me what I would charge to follow them too different locations. My question is how do you charge, by the mile or by the hours? I told him it would be cheaper if they would stop at a truck wash when traveling. What is a rule of thumb when bidding this type of work....Guess there is a first time for everything...Thanks for any input on this matter...

D

David l Saulque

Originally posted by Robert:
Receive a call today to wash Firestone Racing Team truck and trailer. Went to bid on the job and got it. To my surprise the driver ask me what I would charge to follow them too different locations. My question is how do you charge, by the mile or by the hours? I told him it would be cheaper if they would stop at a truck wash when traveling. What is a rule of thumb when bidding this type of work....Guess there is a first time for everything...Thanks for any input on this matter...

Sometime one must ask WHY?

Good Luck
David

Robert

Just to up date you guys what I charge for travel time...Going to charge $25.00 an hour driving time plus labor too wash rig... If this is'nt about right, hope you guys let me know....Just a new guy starting out part time,hoping to go full time in a couple years.Thanks too all....

Jon

Robert,

travel time, like one of the guys taught me, it is or should be the same as what your worth an hour. You are either towing your equipment or it is in your truck right?

Don't you consider that an employee since without it you don't work. Are you worth only $25.00 an hour?

I have not had occasion to charge travel time, yet, but when I do I shall consider it a two way trip plus what I make an hour.

Jon

------------------
Beep beep, the OPC Roadrunner coming through.

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

Scott Stone

Robert Said:
Just to up date you guys what I charge for travel time...Going to charge $25.00 an hour driving time plus labor too wash rig... If this is'nt about right, hope you guys let me know....Just a new guy starting out part time,hoping to go full time in a couple years.Thanks too all.

Here is the flaw in your thinking on this.

1. Any travel time is lost revenue. If your rig is on the back of you truck on the way to a job, it is not making money.
2. One of my trucks costs me about 35 cents a mile torun, the other cost me closer to .60 cents a mile. At $25 an hour there is not a lot left for Scott.
3. Since any travel time is lost revenue time, You need to figure out how much you make an hour. If last year you made $60,000, You should figure your travel time at a minimum of $30 an hour and the cost of operating you truck. This means if it takes you two hours to get to a job and is 80 miles a way travel time is $30*2+(160*.35)which is about $116 Vs. $50 And this does not take into account other lost revenue from overhead etc. Of course this is just my opinion and it depends on the job.

------------------
Is it true that cannibals don't eat clowns because they taste funny?

Just a guy driving around trying to make a living washing trucks, Wouldn't know a deck if it bit me in the hind quarters,

Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Scott Stone on March 23, 2000 ]</font>

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Scott Stone on March 23, 2000 ]</font>

Our Sponsors