Phone # Registered to your Business?

Clean County

Hello all,
I'm debating on putting an add for my business in the yellow pages along with the other advertising that I do. The problem that I'm hearing about putting an add in the yellow pages is that your business phone # must be registered to your business and not to yourself. Apparently that can be expensive to have your phone # registered as such. Right now I have an extra phone line in my house for my business and this cost the most $20/month because it is registered in my name. When my wife or myself make business calls we use our regular phone most of the time because we have unlimited local phone calling where as my business phone has no added options because I usually only use it to recieve business calls. I may just use the yellow book in my area because even though it isn't as good as the yellow pages you can use a regular phone # and is alot cheaper to advertise in.
Does anyone else have this concern and what did you do about it? -John-

------------------

Mike Hughes

Yes, its true, you need a true business telephone number to be in the Yellow Pages. Not only is it a little more expensive, but they charge you more for calls........even local calls.

Phone service is getting pretty competitive nowadays, I'd start looking into it if I were you.

I dont think I'd spend any money on the wannabe yellow page books........does anyone really use them??

Remember, if your phone lines cost a bit more, it is a tax deductable expense......

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

Walt Graner

It's just the cost of doing business. Like gas, insurance and payroll etc. Get in the yellow pages and in the business pages.

I would never advertise in the "fake" yellow pages.
Just by the way these folks send "fake" invoices to the office in hope that a secretary will send in a check really bothers me.

------------------
Walt Graner
"Off The Wall" Graffiti
3006 Bee Caves Rd, Suite B-160
Austin,TX 78746
Ph:(512) 328-7776
fax(512) 328-2399

tzahlman

Because I'm still a small outfit I use a pager with voice mail. You realy cant tell its a pager when you call it, its more like voicemail at someones desk. I guess a cellphone w/voice mail would do the same thing. Don't know if these are for you but its just a thought. Good luck Tom
beer.gif

------------------

Mike Taylor

<FONT COLOR="Blue">The REAL yellow Pages is the way to go, I have my home line as my biz line, with all the options(caller id etc) and it runs about 60 a month plus my ad cost. I tell my friends to just look in the yellow pages if they forget my nimber...lol. It is an expense that pays for itself. Where do u go when u are lookin for a service? The fake pages or the good one with alot of options? Just a thought. Good luck whatever you decide
smile.gif
~~</FONT c>

------------------
Always Under Pressure Inc Mike Taylor Pompano Beach Fla USA

Walt Graner

We forward our calls to a voice pager also. I don't give out the pager # or cell phones (caller id gives it to them anyway, that way we can change companies when we want (every two years or so).
Lock in your business # with the yellow pages (real one) and never change it.

------------------
Walt Graner
"Off The Wall" Graffiti
Austin,TX 78746
fax(512) 328-2399

Bigreds

I am listed in the yellow pages with my cell phone. My wife and I are looking at buying a home soon and wanted to have a number we could keep when we moved as the one we advertise. The trouble is, the cellular phone service went to shit and now I have been missing the majority of my calls and they will not do anything about it. I even bought a better phone thinking it would help. Don't want to switch services cause I dish out $50 a month for the yellow pages on that number.

------------------

Craig Knight

I know phone companies charge different rates in different areas, but putting in a separate line for business was a minimal cost for us. The benefits well outweighed the cost. The package i use on the business line has great features such as:
1) Caller I.D. that shows name and number for all callers (no "unavailable" numbers)
2) Phone is set up to ring 3 times in office, then transfer to cell phone, so customer never knows where i am, whether it be on a job, running down the road, or out eating dinner with family.

And the list goes on. I believe the fact that the customers can see that the phone number is a local number means a lot. And also, they know whether the number is a cell phone, just from the prefix.

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Clean County

Thanks all. It turns out that the only difference in my phone bill for this line compared to being registered to my business is only aprox $10/month along with the $80 to do the switch.So of course I did the switch immedietely. Now my add will get two lines in the yellow pages every year. Of course I was past the deadline in doing this switch and I may or may not make the May issue of the new yellow pages and then I won't be in until next year but I do have a shot because the switch was made.-John-

------------------

Walt Graner

Bigreds

Thats why I never give out pager/cell #'s. get a business line and forward from there to pager/cell if you want. If you move away from the business line you can pay a little more a month and keep the number.

------------------
Walt Graner
"Off The Wall" Graffiti
Austin,TX 78746
fax(512) 328-2399

Our Sponsors