Renting Uniforms

Jon

Seems like some of you are interested in renting uniforms so let me offer some help before you rent them.

I was in that business for many years so I speak with experience here.

first thing is unlike our business where we really don't like to compete on price, they will do that, but you must be the one to bring it up and bargain for it. Never take their first offer either.

The following covers most all uniform companies, it does cover all the major players for sure.

The basic rental on daily basis, meaning 5 shirts and 5 pants: $1.50 per day = $7.50 a week.
Now if you bargain you can get them down as low as $1.15 per day.
Most will try to stick you for $1.85 and up.

Now the really good stuff, they like to charge for everything, name tags, logo tags, set up cost, the works.
You want your name tags embroided, not silk screened.

Another important thing, another way they stick it to you. When you get names and logo's if you return a set of uniforms, insist on the name and logo tags being returned to you since YOU OWN THEM, if not they will simply charge for more new ones, everytime you order them.

Another way they get you is what they call a setup fee, hey, that is part of doing business, set up what,all that is simply is sewing name tags and putting the routing tag on the garments. Refuse to pay it or offer like .25 cent per set, not garment, think about it, do you charge your customers when you set up to do the work?.

LISTEN UP NOW, they all want a 3 to 5 year contract, either refuse to sign it or agree to 2 years only or your
stuck, hidden in that contract is a way out, also hidden is the fact that if you start with 5 employees and later fire
two of them be sure you return 11 shirts and 11 pants in good condition or they charge you again.

Demand NEW clothes for all on order, after that you won't get new, but used so get used to it. When it comes
time to renew your contract, do so only if they replace all clothes with NEW again, otherwise 60 days prior to
the ending of that contract send them a written letter saying you are going to stay with them, BUT on a month to
month agreement.

Very important reason, another hidden clause in that contract says that if you DO NOT write them it automatically renews for another 2 or whatever amount of years you signed for.

I think you got the basis here, if you seriously want to save money and it is only one or two people it is better to
buy about 5 sets and wash them yourself.

Now if you have several employees like some of you do and want to know more feel free to call or Email me.

There is much more but I think you get the idea. If you are truly going to rent uniforms and want more advice that is not here feel free to call me, before you sign up with any company, afterwards there is nothing I can help you with, your stuck with them.

Jon

------------------
Beep beep, the OPC Roadrunner coming through.

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

D

David l Saulque

Originally posted by Jon:
Seems like some of you are interested in renting uniforms so let me offer some help before you rent them.

I was in that business for many years so I speak with experience here.

first thing is unlike our business where we really don't like to compete on price, they will do that, but you must be the one to bring it up and bargain for it. Never take their first offer either.

The following covers most all uniform companies, it does cover all the major players for sure.

The basic rental on daily basis, meaning 5 shirts and 5 pants: $1.50 per day = $7.50 a week.
Now if you bargain you can get them down as low as $1.15 per day.
Most will try to stick you for $1.85 and up.

Now the really good stuff, they like to charge for everything, name tags, logo tags, set up cost, the works.
You want your name tags embroided, not silk screened.

Another important thing, another way they stick it to you. When you get names and logo's if you return a set of uniforms, insist on the name and logo tags being returned to you since YOU OWN THEM, if not they will simply charge for more new ones, everytime you order them.

Another way they get you is what they call a setup fee, hey, that is part of doing business, set up what,all that is simply is sewing name tags and putting the routing tag on the garments. Refuse to pay it or offer like .25 cent per set, not garment, think about it, do you charge your customers when you set up to do the work?.

LISTEN UP NOW, they all want a 3 to 5 year contract, either refuse to sign it or agree to 2 years only or your
stuck, hidden in that contract is a way out, also hidden is the fact that if you start with 5 employees and later fire
two of them be sure you return 11 shirts and 11 pants in good condition or they charge you again.

Demand NEW clothes for all on order, after that you won't get new, but used so get used to it. When it comes
time to renew your contract, do so only if they replace all clothes with NEW again, otherwise 60 days prior to
the ending of that contract send them a written letter saying you are going to stay with them, BUT on a month to
month agreement.

Very important reason, another hidden clause in that contract says that if you DO NOT write them it automatically renews for another 2 or whatever amount of years you signed for.

I think you got the basis here, if you seriously want to save money and it is only one or two people it is better to
buy about 5 sets and wash them yourself.

Now if you have several employees like some of you do and want to know more feel free to call or Email me.

There is much more but I think you get the idea. If you are truly going to rent uniforms and want more advice that is not here feel free to call me, before you sign up with any company, afterwards there is nothing I can help you with, your stuck with them.

Jon

This is great information, I have uniforms for my emplyees & now I have a guideline to go by. I also use cleaning towels, similar to wash cloths-what should I be paying for this item?

Thanks

David

------------------

Scott J

Hello everyone , this is my first post here.Im a newbie to p/w so i really cant help a lot,but i thought i may be able to help some with this.There is a company in the town I live in called American Uniform they sell the same uniforms that most of the uniform companys use,they sell these in their factory store here new for about $2 a piece,lots of colors and sizes to choose from.At this price is not a big deal to tear a couple up here and there. Here is the # (423) 476-6561 in case you would like to give them a call. P.S. would have to say Dan you have done excellent with this board,very professinol,tons of info. and everyone is very serious and commited to helping each other here!

------------------
Scott J

Jon

sort of long again.

I should charge for this !!!!

Shop towels, most offer:
Red
White
Green

basic rental most likely around 6 or 7 cent each with replacement cost from .25 to .35 each. Routeman does not as rule count them, done at plant and short count is normal. Insist on them being counted in front of you. You pay for 50% of inventory.

If you want what is called NEW or First wash expect to pay around .10 each, I would ask for them but like all else, offer less, explain that you wipe your face with them and if you get cut with pieces of metal that their company shall bare the bunt of the medical expense. (you can tell them, not fair but is done, the color red freaks you out, red, blood scares you) white is better.

All 3 are same material, dyed colors.

Now Scott, you say you can buy NEW for 2 bucks each, go for it as the uniform companies pay about $9 to $13 per shirt and about $4 more per pants.

Are these seconds or slightly used? For that price I would buy them up and wash them once a week, great savings.

Hope this helps those of you that either are now renting or thinking of it.

One other thing, if times are truly bad with you and you need to cut back, be careful how you approach them, being honest is best way but make sure that whatever you discuss THEY put in writing and have it done on the spot and signed. Easy to say something then come back next week and say my boss said NO. The routeman is not allowed to make deals as a rule but if he says something and you get it in writing tough luck for them, it sticks.

Any more ?? just ask, email or phone.

Jon

------------------

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

M

Mike@Everclear

Jon,

Although I currently have no interest in such a service, that was a very well written and informative post! Good work.

------------------
Mike Hughes
Everclear
Souderton, PA

G

Glenn

Jon,
I think this would be helpful in upcomong issues of Water Works. Why not send it to Barbara Sivells.
Glenn
bounce2.gif

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Thanks Jon, Great bit of information.
smile.gif

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708/715-4206

Jon

Mike, Glenn, Dan, oh heck the whole lot of you on this board, I am happy to be of help here.

Glenn I will contact Barbara and get the specs as to how long and just what info she wants for an article in Water Works then get to work on it so all can read it, might even consider cleaner Times. (Only thing is I am not really a good writer, talker yes, writer NO)

Hey you guys need to thank Scott Stone here, he is the one who kicked my butt to get me to say this stuff, or should I say open up and talk. Scott, just wait till my Dodge meets your Ford now...

DODGE Turbo Diesel RULES
tongue.gif

------------------

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

<FONT COLOR="#000080" SIZE="1" FACE="Verdana, Arial">[This message has been edited by Jon on March 23, 2000 ]</font>

Kevin

Well well, Jon that was a nice bit of information! My mother-in-law runs a sewing plant that makes uniforms for the plants using materials such as Nomex,etc.. I got with her and in exchange for the plant being washed, I got 5 pairs of short sleeved coveralls free. The color matches my logo for my business. Still starving though!

Lorin Grable

Great postings, Jon. all of us have come from different places in life and have so much to offer others - many times we don't think we have anything to offer because we are 'newcomers' to the PW business. But all that living prior to becoming a 'wethead' does have value and we are appreciative of you letting us in on your experiences and knowledge.

Our Sponsors