Filter cleaning

• Thread starter CavalierPressureCleaning
  • Start date
C

CavalierPressureCleaning

Hey Again,

What is your procedure for cleaning filters?

I recently found an aluminum cabinet on casters. I converted into a wash rack with a drain in the bottom. tried it out last week hardly any mess escaped the cabinet.

D

David l Saulque

In cleaning filters one should use a caustic (sodium hydroxide)base product. Depending on the mix it will destroy aluminum. If you notice a foam while cleaning, that is your aluminum container. You could use other agents, but you would just be throwing your money away. Depending on the situation we will use the stainless sinks to soak and clean or we will use a rubber/plastic tub. Make sure that the sinks are cleaned very well after the service.

Good Luck

David

------------------

Dave Olson

Most filters are made of aluminum. Degreasers that work the best to clean the soil attack soft metals like aluminum.

Some of the kitchens that we do have really cheap filters and of course they don't clean them on a regular basis. In some of these cases in the process of cleaning the filters they get clean but really don't look very nice! Sometimes we have used an acid wash on the filters just to make them look better!

Dave Olson

------------------
Tidy Powerwash Service, Inc. P.O. Box 781, Catlin, Illinois 61817 Phone 217-427-5557, Fax 217-427-2632 We are a commercial cleaning contractor serving East-Central Illinois and West Central Indiana since 1984. http://www.tps-inc.com

D

David l Saulque

Let me re-state-good filters are not made of aluminum. Aluminum filter are cheap and in short time will come apart.

David

------------------

reonz

This is very easy to set up. I used two New York cellar oil tanks to build mine. First, you need a hot tank. Not just hot tap water. It has to be boiling, along with chemicals and in a large enough tank to hold four or five filters at a time. Next, you need a rinse tank, a tank large enough so that you can spray off the loose grease with your pressure washer. You need shelves for storage and your all set.

filter.jpg

With a filter exchange service, (your customer needs two sets of filters) you take the greasy filters (replace with clean) back to the shop and soak them in the hot tank. Spray the grease off in a rinse tank. You then bring back the clean filters taking back the greasy ones. Schedule this once every week or two, charging $3.00 to $5.00 a filter, have a client base and this could be a good income generator.

Last edited:

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
Why have a rinse tank? Why not just PW the filters after the hot tank. What are cellar oil tanks? Where can we get one or two of the cellar oil tanks?

David

reonz

David,

In NY they use to use oil to heat, and they had these big tanks in the basements. 100 gal or so, anyway, they became obsolete because of gas heating. However, this is a newer version of these tanks

oAboveBDH.jpg

The older tanks were more oblong and not so round. I imagine they are hard to find nowadays. I couldn't even find a pic on the net.

Anyway, for what you can do with tanks, you can have them made and it would be worth it. The reason for a rinse tank is to be able to contain the debris that comes out of the baffles of grease filters that haven’t been properly cleaned before.

Randy

MBryan

That's pretty ingenious Randy. I always thought you needed one of those $10,000 jobbies to get the job done but that set up looks like it would work pretty good. I can see filter exchange in our future now. From what I have heard you can make and extra $500 a day offering this service.

How long do you usually boil the filters?

Last edited:

reonz

Thanks MBryan,

That system will work great for you, and won't cost much to set up. I've seen your name around for a while so I know you already have a good customer base. To answer your question, a few minutes in boiling, chemical treated water is all you need before rinsing the loose grease off. Let me know when you get set up.
We are neighbors :)

Randy Bachman
Baldwin Park CA

Dan S

Hey Randy you have some awesome info. here man Where have you been?

Got a question for you >>

I dont do the hoods but do offer to clean just the filters , What would be the best way to start offering this service more? Should we offer to buy the second set of filters? or do you charge the customer for the other set?

Your plan works better then mine, I just take the filters and leave them with nothing and then when Im done I bring them back .

Thanks !

reonz

Thanks Dan

Make the customer pay. Most cities are going to have a restaurant supply store close by. Go and talk with them, tell them what you do and how many filters you estimate you will be able to sell for the in the coarse of a year. Then ask them to sell you the filters at a (big) discounted price. Buy 15 new filters and carry them in your truck. When you go to pick up greasy filters from your customers, sell them a set of new ones. And make a few bucks on the filters. Hope this helps.

Randy Bachman
Baldwin Park CA

Dan S

What about all the different sizes? how can you stock all the different ones .

Thanks for your help !!

reonz

There a a few different sizes. (few) being the key word here. How many of your customers have (20'x20'x2') in percentage?

Randy Bachman
Baldwin Park CA

reonz

Dan,

I'm not sure what you mean. The chemical? Just a little degreaser in boiling water, thats all.

Randy Bachman
Baldwin Park CA

reonz

Hey Bryan,

Those hinged filters are pretty awsome. Thats always been the major problem with filters, cleaning inside the baffles. I bet they cost at least twice as much, but so what. I wonder how sturdy they are.

Randy Bachman
Baldwin Park Ca

Our Sponsors