Don't have a jack?

L

Layman's P/W

I use what I call a scotch block to change a flat, you know it goes under the tire when you park on a hill to keep your truck from rolling.I make my blocks by cutting off a six by six post at a forty five degree angle leaving it long enough that there is a eight inch flat surface on top of block. When you have a flat tire just set the block in front of the good tire on same side as flat and pull up until good tire is on top of block , on my trailer this lifts the other axle and gives me enough room to change the flat very quickly and be on my way. This way for me is much easier and quicker than a jack and I have the blocks on the truck already.

------------------

Dan S

OKAY!!!!!!!
lets just say for the heck of it.........
what if you just by some odd chance park in frt. of a tree,car,trk,house,garage,dead person,dolly parton........etc...... and you cant go forward??
i think that i would rather carry a jack then alot of wood.....but hey do what trips ya trigger....

------------------
ISN'T LIFE GREAT WHEN YOU HAVE THE LORD !!!!!!

L

Layman's P/W

The answer to your question is simple, instead of pulling up on the block you put the block behind the good tire and back up on it. I have used this method of changing a tire many times on my rig and it works great for me and it is very simple to do.Also you could back up a little a then pull up on the block remember you only have a flat you can still move around some if you need to, just as you would have to move to find a solid level spot to use a jack.

------------------

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">Layman

You haveta forgive old Dan there,he's a fleetwasher and don't no how to backup
laughing.gif
.I also use the block but I'll wash anything
hapfac01.gif
.</FONT c></FONT f>
<FONT size="4"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">Dolly Parton,</FONT c></FONT s><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">you should never try to climb mountains with a flat or with a Dodge.</FONT c></FONT f>

------------------
When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.
When In Doubt,,,Think It Out.....triplel@bscn.com

Craig Knight

<FONT COLOR="Navy">Got that right Bigboy, even in a Chevy you would have to lock in the hubs and grab granny gear to get over those hills and thru the valley.</FONT c>

I too have used somewhat sort of a block to jack up the trailer to change the ole flat. Was at a gas station when i realized the leak in the front tire, so i just backed onto the curb in the back of the parking lot and was changed and gone if a few minutes.

Craig

------------------
Craig Knight
www.powerwashunlimited.com

Scott Stone

I do the block, too. It is a lot faster, and in my opinion safer. When I am stuck on the side of a freeway, I want to get done as fast as I can.

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Mike Hughes

Gosh, from all this talk it seems like everyone gets alot of flat trailer tires..........how many flats have each of you gotten?

I have only had one in the two years that I have had my trailer.

Mike

Dan S

what a bunch of "block heads"...........
i know where you are @ with the blocks ,i just wanted to add a lil humor with it .....

hey big boy what do you mean .....you will wash anything? then you mention DOLLY PARTON. does that mean you will wash her? or climb the mountains with a flat?

------------------
ISN'T LIFE GREAT WHEN YOU HAVE THE LORD !!!!!!

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">
icon39.gif
HMMmmm will if she's dirty guess it wouldn't hurt to drive over on two or 3 hills with two flaty tires to wash her that if she's dirty,drive with all 8 flats if she not
lickout.gif
.</FONT c></FONT f>

------------------
When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.
When In Doubt,,,Think It Out.....triplel@bscn.com

Jon

To answer Mike H. No flats on truck or trailer.
smile.gif

------------------

Jon Fleischer
Oasis Pressure Cleaning
(909) 792-2247
Fax (909) 792-5633

Craig Knight

Was trucking down the interstate one day and was three cars behind a roofing truck. You guessed it, 3 out of 8 tires got the ole roofing nails. Could have been worse i guess. One was truck, two on trailer.

Besides that, had one on trailer in 3.5 years.

------------------
Craig Knight
www.powerwashunlimited.com

rvagnoni

Got a flat a couple of years ago . Problems wasn't getting the tire off as much as not having the right wrench to get the lugnuts off...Luckily I was only a 1/4 mile from home and got one to fit.

------------------
Rick - Deck Care Plus

Rob Blair

That's an old truck driver's trick. If you have duals on that truck and the outside tire gets a flat use the block trick on the inside tire.

------------------

Our Sponsors