Acids

Cavalier

Hello Bigboy,
I just picked up my first fleet, first cleaning took for ever, trucks hadn't been cleaned in six months or more. I'm looking for ways to speed up.

When you use acid for two steping when do you use Hf vs PH ? iv'e seen you talk about both.

What dilution range is safe to use for twostep, or brightening bumpers such?

Apreciate any help,
Adrian

------------------

J

Jim&Shirley

We buy our chemicals from our local supplier. We have bought everything with them and they have been great. When we decided to 2-step they recommended different things and explained exactly how to dilute it. It worked great cut us from 45 min a truck to about 20. We take the aluminum brightner we already had and mix it 10 gal to make 55 GAl. and then use a good strong soap. Has worked good for us.

Have you ever tried a roll over valve? They are great. Saved us even more time, just found it the other day don't have to change tips and burn yourself.

Jim & Shirley

------------------

[This message has been edited by Jim&Shirley (edited January 28, 2001).]

Scott Stone

Jim and Shirley,
10 gallons to make 55 is 20%, not 20 to 1. 2.5 gallons to 55 is 20-1. If you are going to drop acid please make sure that you know what you are doing. This stuff can literally kill you. It takes as little as a teaspoon of Hf on your skin and if you do not get immediate medical attention, it will KILL you. Don't take it lightly.

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

bigdog265

Hey guys,

I am really interested in this 2 step stuff. It just hit me that aluminum brightner is acid.

So Scott,

I can mix 2.5 gal of brightner in 55 gal drum with water and that will make my 2-step acid? The I use my alkaline soap, then rinse.

Next question is do you use upstream or downstream for acid and soap?

Thanks
Greg

------------------

Scott Stone

I hate to say this, but, it all depends. Some variables are the manufacturers recommended dilution ratios, are you applying it through your pressure washer, or with a flojet or pump up sprayer, etc. The first thing that you would need to do is look at the recommended levels of the manufacturer of the chemical.

As far as how to apply it, I hesitate to explain the process for a couple of reasons.
1. Hf is really hazardous and I don't know what kind of experience that you have in dealing in chemicals. I am sure that there are others that will tell you, but I won't. It is a conscience thing. You have to remember that Hf is one of the most hazardous chemicals known to man, and a teaspoon on your skin can kill you.
2. I don't use it regularly, and so I would have to share second hand information. I know that the information is from an excellent source, but second hand is more dangerous.
If you are going to experiment you will need to remember that it takes twice as much base as it takes acid to neutralize the acid. Half neutralizes the acid, and the other half cleans the remainder of the dirt residue.

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

J

Jim&Shirley

We used some alumimum brighter we already had 55 gals, like we said
it is already deluted to a degree, it is not the pure acid. To 2-step with you need to delute-it even more, according to our supplier we were to put 10 gal of this in 55 gal drum of water,and it was perfect for 2-step. Then we use a good strong soap with no caustic in it. Even a powder soap you mix yourself can be used and is usually cheaper than the already mixed. Your supplier will be glad to explain everything on exactly how to do it for which chemical you buy.

What we use according to the MSDS is 10% Hydroflouric Acid/3% Sulfuric Acid/ Non-Hazardous Ingredients 87%. If you get this on you besure to flush with water. Do not put this in a metal drum and always add water to drum first then the acid. We recommend using rubber gloves and have soda around for neutralizing if you do come in contact with it.

We only use down stream injectors, we never put any chemicals thru our pumps. The pump will last a lot longer, you can put soap thru your pump but never acid. It will eat it up. We have 2 machines, Jim applies the acid and Shirley applies the soap right behind him and then we both rinse. Always remember to soap the windows first it will etch the windows. Never let it dry before rinsing. You may only be able to do half the truck at a time.

This is just the process our supplier recommended to us and how we use it. Hope this helps. Be sure to ask your supplier and they are usually happy to help.

Jim & Shirley

------------------

Dan S

i really dont like the 2 step.....i can make a trk. dance without it and save $$........
using 2 step sucks up h2o--fuel--wear-tear.
i do however use acid but only on the tank's....

just because i dont like 2 step doesnt mean it's not the way to go.
i do think it's a waste of time though.

------------------
ISN'T LIFE GREAT WHEN YOU HAVE THE LORD !!!!!!

J

Jim&Shirley

Dan S,

What is your secret? Would really be interested if there is a faster and easier way than 2-step. We are always interested in improvement.

Jim & Shirley

------------------

J

Jim&Shirley

Dan
we cant understand anyone who would post somthing or criticize the way someone else is doing something.
and when asked what that is..........
THERE IS NO REPLY --- WHY EVEN BOTHER TO POST.?????
We thought we were all here to help each-other.

I guess we can all figure it out!!! you must brush!!!

well it does cost alittle more to 2-step but we can wash more trucks than someone brushing,therefor we can make alot more money this way. Time is money to us.

just our thoughts PLEASE don't be getting angry anyone.

Jim & Shirley

------------------

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Jim & Shirley

and when asked what that is

THERE IS NO REPLY --- WHY EVEN BOTHER TO POST.?????

I guess we can all figure it out!!!

We thought we were all here to help each-other.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="DarkGreen">Man you have a alot nerve to post like this to Dan S.He's told you before if you'd get your..................

How many times how I ask you DID you know Joe,Lee in your area,they Run Fleetwash,,with NO reply.

Do not go to the trouble to post your reply NOW,I see where you stand.I also found out what I wanted to know about you though Lee b/c you did not reply.So say off Dan b/c you shoes aren't big enough to fill his.</FONT c></FONT f>

------------------
When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.
When In Doubt,,,Think It Out.....triplel@bscn.com

J

Jim&Shirley

Bigboy,

We have never meet the people at Fleetwash. Don't know what you heard about us from them but next time we happen to see them we will ask. They have seen our truck a few times, they even cut a u turn to check it out. We do know of some of their accounts that have made comments to us which we did not really feel we should post here. We did not find your question. Maybe you should have emailed us. We have been busy since the weather broke here.

As for dan s why didn't he answer? He stated he didn't 2-step but had a better way that would save $$$ and time. We were just wanting to know what it was for everyone's benefit. Stating something like that and then not finishing the information is kind of flat. If you want everyone to know that you have found something they haven't why not educate everyone as to what it is. Maybe someone else will have some thoughts on how to make it even better. Whenever we find something we don't have a problem with telling everyone here about it. Maybe you can answer it.

We were not meaning to offend anyone. Don't want to get everyone in an uproar over something so simple.

Jim & Shirley

------------------

Dan S

OOP'S MY BAD!!!!!!!!!!!i refuse to be offened so i will answer this as polite as i can......
your question Jim & Shirley was way back in JANUARY 29th.....im 4 days late&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; sorry....
first can i explain my reason?
i got so cought up in the other post i didn't even check on this issue......and with everything else going on .most of the time i go to a forum and either read or reply ,then im off ( the net ).it was'nt done on purpose.

now with that said::::&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;hlserui jkiuoi *******####

i carry 425 gal of h2o in my box trk.when i run out i need to travel to get more .which is'nt a real long drive but non-the less i still have to wrap everything up shut the doors ...go to my h20 hole and start pumping then go back to work..unwrap everything....and well you know the drill.

i have found that by spraying the entire trk. [with a shur-flo]sometimes i will spray 2 or 3 .trks like this at one time.depends on the weather.

then i turn on my p/wer and wash w/heat .
while im washing the first trk. the other one's are in the soaking process.

by doing this i can do 25 trks. with one load of h20 .
sometimes more.

i made a wand for the shur-flo out of a regular wand from the p/wer with a 25 degree nozzel @ the end [ it will spray those trk's in about 2.5 passes.

you really need good soap for this to really work. if you use cheap soap it will dry faster and when it does it will leave streaks.you need a soap that will stay wet longer.

it does'nt matter what everybody else says about this because....... well it wont change the way i do it.

as a matter of fact i will bet any body $ that is in this fleet business .if they can do it better and faster using a dif.method........and using less h20.
when you 2 step what happens?you use more h2o/fuel/acid/soap. and of coarse wear and tear.

i get all kinds of compliments over these o.t.r. trks
yes im gloating.....

i hope this answer's your question if ya have more please ask .hopefully you wont have to wait 4 days ...
laughing.gif

ps; DONT EVER SAY 'I BRUSH AGAIN 'IF WORD GETS OUT EVERYBODY WOULD WANT THAT DONE.
------------------

J

Jim&Shirley

HEY DAN THANKS
We can understand and appreciate where you are coming from, everyone has their own reason for doing things we were just curious how you could do yours better,
cirumstances dictates which works best for each of us,
we did"nt mean any offense to saying you brush,
we were wrong and we are truely sorry for jumping to that conclusion. Also no we will pass you up on that bet,we do believe you do know what you are talking about and know we use more water than what you use.

Respectfully,
JIM & SHIRLEY

------------------

Dan S

Jim and Shirley
i was only having fun with ya when i mention the brush.i know you was'nt being sarcastic... but i was ;but i was doing it to be funny..........

it takes alot to make me upset....
and you didnt even tick my clock [ if ya know what i mean].

so have your self a great night and dont be afraid to ask a question...or give a answer .i refuse to argue on this net anymore over right or wrong..

whats right fer you may not be right fer me === but who cares....and visa versa.

------------------

whiplash

[WE HAVE TRIED 2 STEP, WORKS WELL ON (COMPANY TRUCKS AND TRAILERS)BUT WE HAVE BUILT OUR REPUTATION FOR TRUCK WASHING BY GUARANTEEING OUR WASH JOBS, AND THE ONLY WAY TO DO THAT IS TO BRUSH THEM ANYONE ON MY CREWS CAN WASH A BIG BLACK SHINY PETERBILT IN 25 MINUTES(WINTER TRUCK) 30 minutes (summer truck) INCLUDES HAND SPONGING THE CHROME AND HARD TO GET TO SPOTS ITS DONE 1 TIME AND DONE RIGHT WE CHARGE 30.00 FOR THE BASIC WASH ,INCLUDES MOTOR AND FRAME ACIDIZING IS EXTRA ACCORDINGLY WE DO 2 STEP WHEN WE CANBUT I WOULD SAY EVERY 3 OUT OF 5TRUCKS GETS BRUSHED WE ARE PROUD OF THE FACT THAT WE HAVE VIRTUALLY NO COMPLAINTS WE WASH AROUND 200 PIECES EVERY WEEKEND AND WASH OUT ON THE INTERSTATE THRU THE WEEK AND BELIEVE ME IT IS A COMPLIMENT WHEN A TRUCK DRIVER LEAVES A 10-15 DOLLAR TIP! THIS HAS ALWAYS BEEN A SORE SPOT WITH ME I JUST FEEL THAT IF ITS NOT BRUSHED ITS NOT REALLY CLEAN !!!!! IF YOU WASHED MY TRUCK AND DIDNT BRUSH IT ,YOU WOULD WASH IT AGAIN SAID BY WHIPLASH

------------------

J

Jim&Shirley

ANYBODY that 2- steps knows yes somtimes you are going to have to brush, this is no secret.
its all in how you run your business.
if your not good at what-ever you do, and keep your customers satisfied, there is always someone else waiting to take those customers, the same for those fleets you mentioned, all of our customers receive the same quality of work, if they need brushing they get it, there paying for a truck wash this means to clean and we are usually more picky than our customers and that is our reputation because all our work is guaranteed. We have never had a customer complain except that it didn't have to be that clean. Our customers have even offered us a place inside to clean trucks in the winter free of charge just so they could still pay us to clean their trucks in all weather conditions. If you have the same trucks every week, after you get them really clean they are easier to clean the next time. We will even use a mitten to get to the hard to reach places and places where others have left soap to dry. We even offer wax jobs in the summer for those pesky bugs. We have only had one company try another washer and they have come back to us after only 3 weeks. They said that "No one gets a truck cleaner than you" (meaning us). And they have seen a ton of them come and go. They have actually used about 20 over the last 5 years. It is good to know that your customers consider you the best even after we were out of truck washing for over 3 years. Some of our old clients called us and asked us to Please wash their trucks because they were unhappy with everyone else. After that it snowballed and we only wash trucks on weekends. Our usual business is flatwork.

Jim & Shirley

------------------

Our Sponsors