Cleaning those shiny silver trailers

zing

This is my 2nd year in the business and I must admit that I am uneducated when it comes to chemicals other than degreasers.

I got a weekly truck account that has (2) Aluminum looking trailers. The degreaser did nothing to clean it.

Should I use Aluminum Brightner for this and how should I price it? I am getting $15 for just soap and rinse. Will I have to do this every week? What is the procedure for application?

------------------

Scott Stone

DON"T USE ACID!!! DON"T USE NaOH!!! You will need to brush every inch and then rinse it before it dries. If you don't and do either of the other two you will also be doing a polish job. It is not fun, and it is dirty to polish. You might even have to wash it two or three times to get it right. There might be someone out there that knows this type of trailer better than I do so you might listen to them as well. I know that acid and strong caustics will definitely mess up your Karma.
Scott

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
Scott’s right about the acid these are aluminum trailers. Not the type of aluminum your use too. Lots of different mental also. Look on the trailer and find the 800 # and call the manufacture and they will recommend something to start with. They might recommend a base (caustic) be careful test a small area on the trailer first.

------------------
Ron Marshal Phoenix AZ
1-888-fleetwash

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="DarkGreen">Zing

Alot of people are afraid and do not know how to use aluminum brighteners.
If its bare aluminum the HF brightener will make it look new again,thats what its made to do.
If its stainless steel or chrome the HF will do damage if you do not know how to use,its best to use HP on those type.
I can clean S.S. and chrome with the HF but it takes experience to keep from doing damage,which I do not advice you to use HF on those two types of mental until you have learned how to do so.
I get 25 on the trailers nomatter if I use brighteners or not,if you use the brightener you soap does not need to be as strong.
What kind of trailer are you talking about,Box,flatbed with sides,tanker?????????

O,your degreaser will do damage to aluminum,S.S and chrome if to strong a mix,it will burn and leave brown streaks.

</FONT c></FONT f>

------------------
<FONT COLOR="orangeRed"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.</FONT c></FONT f><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.</FONT c></FONT f><FONT face="comic sans MS"><FONT COLOR="blue">Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.</FONT c></FONT f>

<FONT COLOR="red"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">When In Doubt,,,Think It Out</FONT c></FONT f><FONT COLOR="green"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">.....triplel@bscn.com</FONT c></FONT f>

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Bigboy,

He said it was and aluminum trailer. if you use acid it will react with the other metals. We know the trailer is not 100% aluminum. If it where we would be having a problem with damaging it. Really not afraid, being cautious with someone asking this type of question. gotta figure he’s not a vet like you so trying explain to use acid over the web on something that most would not would seems a little dangerous. not trying to say whether your right or wrong just I have never had luck with these aluminum trailers and I used zep products when I fleet washed. I know acid can be controlled and you can find the right formula just didn’t think a rookie it would be his first choice. aluminum is soft and real easy to screw up.

------------------
Ron Marshal Phoenix AZ
1-888-fleetwash

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
Hey Bigboy,

I bet it’s a bottom dump.

------------------
Ron Marshal Phoenix AZ
1-888-fleetwash

zing

Found out that it is for sure aluminum.

I also noticed streaks in the aluminum and remembered the owner told me he had a kid was them once. That must explain the streaks from the degreaser. I couldn't even brush them out.

How can I get these streaks out?

I'm not sure of the name of this trailer but it is aluminum and it is used for hauling dirt and gravel.

How should I clean these?

Zing

------------------

Larry L.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="DarkGreen">
O K we're talking rock hauler with bare alum its ok to use the HF and it will take the brown streaks out,its the only thing I know of that will.

Some of your casutic cleaner if to strong will burn alum,chrome and S.S. leaving brown streaks.If you do this to polished,chrome or S.S your in trouble,the only way to fix is to polish it back out.Sometimes the PH will take some of it off but never put HF on these types of metal "polished,S.S.chrome" until you have learned how to use on alum then you can start learning how to use it on the other but NEVER polished until you have full control over what your doing.
If the truck that pulls the trailer is not polished I would use HF on it also.

Ron,I understand what your saying but maybe the reason you never had any luck cleaning the alum trailers is you didn't have the know how with brighteners.What if I had never tried it,I would still be going around wondering what they make it for.Its like any other chemical you use,you haveta learn how,when and where.Zep is ok to clean with but Zep also makes on cleaner that brightens them.I guess all these wholesalers that stock it in their warehouses don't know what they're doing or do you think its a good turn over for them as in making money.
I thought I had adviced him not to use HF if polished,chrome or S.S. but then again if we waited until we learned how without hands on we would still be standing on the bank looking across at the others that tried.
Les and I both have warned about chemicals as to learn what they do and how to use them as in letting your chemicals do the work for you.
No big deal its in the chemicals you use and how you use them.When I started I wished I had a bbs I could have ask Q'tions and at least get a feel of the chemical and its warning before I tried it,it would have make life easier and cheaper as in learning how to use.
All I'm saying is it can be done if you want to learn how and you cann;t do dat by standing on the porch.Even if I'm standing there telling you how you will still have to learn on your own.
I washed a polished rig this morn that needed a wash in a bad way,even the driver said it may need brushing this time.He does not like a brush on his truck not even a mitt,which I want use.His truck came out clean but I had to brush the dam tanks and rims.I used PH on the truck and HF on his white box 53ft trailer.I wash alot of bare alum,chrome and S.S trucks and trailers,I hardly ever see any painted rims.To me the alum rock haulers or alum grainhualers are the two easiest to wash.
See Ron,if you would have took the time to learn how to clean those alum trailers with brighteners your luck in cleaning them would have been much better.

I advice not to use no chemicals until you know what they will do and not do but for as telling them not to use is not learning them nothing.

I was told to stay away from water until I learned how to swim,yel right.Will I learned the hard way but I saved my own life which I was proud of cuzz man I didn't know I could dog paddle like dat until my big toe couldn't feel bottom no more.It opened up a whole new world to me after I got my butt whipped,but hey I could dog paddle man it was worth the whipping I got.I can remember dad telling how but to say away until I learned,now how was I going to learn unless I tried.Dog paddling doesn't work on dry land like it does in the water,so I had a pretty good ideal dat it was easy cuzz the dogs made it look easy,will I beat the heck out of dat water before my paws learned how to keep me off bottom....If you want,learn how to use the brighteners on old junk cars.</FONT c></FONT f>

------------------
<FONT COLOR="orangeRed"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.</FONT c></FONT f><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.</FONT c></FONT f><FONT face="comic sans MS"><FONT COLOR="blue">Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.</FONT c></FONT f>

<FONT COLOR="red"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">When In Doubt,,,Think It Out</FONT c></FONT f><FONT COLOR="green"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">.....triplel@bscn.com</FONT c></FONT f>

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
Easy bigboy you’re going to blow a gasket. If you read back, I said you were not right nor wrong just that you should not make it seem so simple. Working with acids on this type of truck requires safety. That was my only point. I to used acid and still do, I think they are far better to control than bases. Anyway I know when I’m out of my league. You and Scott live in this world, I will stay out.

------------------
Ron Marshal Phoenix AZ
1-888-fleetwash

Dan S

i guess im still a "follower" lol........

big-boy that's how i do it as well and to be frank i did'nt want to go into detail with it because the way my finger's type on this keyboard i think i would of confused the poor ole sapp........

Ron you are in the same world as "we"

big-boy dont blow your gasket you will need it to shovel all that SNOW..............

------------------
Washing a truck can be challenging.Every truck in a fleet may require different treatment.Adapt the washing process to the challenges that you are dealing with.

Scott Stone

Okay, Bigboy, you've got me. As you know I am no fan of acids. However, I am also smart enough to realize that on occasion that I might have to use them. So tell me this. When you are washing the Beall Bullet trailers like we are talking about, Doesn't the Hf remove the high polish that they come from the facxtory with? If it doesn't what concentration are you using?

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Larry L.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">
Heck I wasn't even close to blowing a gasket,I was getting warmed up like any good race car would do,I just wasn't rive'ing it up.

What you mean stay out,your more then welcome to stick your nose in anytime man,I never no,I could learn something or you tell something dat I don't know.I'm going stick my nose in your flatwork everyonce in awhile.
Anytime a chemical is named to do a job please always post your warning.It never hurts to have someone posting a warning on a type of chemical as to the harm it may do.
Like this subject,,They no by reading all the post as the harm it may do but they also know it can be done,which they will have to learn themselfs .It all boils down to knowing your chemicals and how to use as in its safety which covers alot and its cleaning power.
Anyway feel free to post b/c if in the cleaning busisess your in the LEAGUE.

Hey Dan
laughing.gif
you seen your weather
laughing.gif
its going to get cold so your snow may say for awhile.

We're going to get
rain.gif
again thursday and again Momday and tuesday.Guess I'm doing ok I made 65.00 Monday and 50.00 today.if I keep dat up I'll be rich in a few days
rolleyes.gif
.</FONT c></FONT f>

------------------

Ethan

Hey Zing and Scott,

A quick answer to your question and ask these guys how to do it.

3% Hf by volume- Pretty Weak stuff huh!!!

Acid doesn't need to be strong to work, it just needs to be applied correctly and safely.

Ethan

------------------
Ethan
Mobile Systems Inc.

Larry L.

<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="DarkGreen">HI Ethan,long time no hear,you been sick.

No,I didn't get you Scott,you said you was smart enought to know better,also I seen your warning on casutic's as to what it would do to polished.

As you know the casutic's can be used on polished if not to strong,same goes for the HF acid,both will do damage if you do not know how to use,but both can be used.

Both are indeed riskly on that type of metal,I wish I had a corncob cleaner to use on that type of metal.

I don't know if I would even try it on polished if I didn't have a duel lance to control it with when I'm appling HF straight out of its mix tank but I do at times.
Another way to do it is mix alittle HF in with the PH,I cann't tell you how much but start out weak and work your way up to what you want it to do.It may take you several trys until you get it right as for the warning start out weak.If you don't get it right the first time don't sweat it,go ahead and brush it don't add more at this time and retry.Wait until you get to your next polished job and add alittle more HF to the mix.If you got it right your lucky if not not,do not add more and retry,its brushy time again.If you add and retry on the same metal you just cleaned your mix want work on the next one either,if you get my meaning.

There is alot of different ways a fellow can clean by adding different chemicals together as to make them do the work for you,liked I've said before,there is nothing hard about fleetwashing its just fast paste'd.</FONT c></FONT f>

------------------

ameri-clean

I have to agree with Bigboy on this one. He hit it right on the money. We have washed alot of alum. trailers and the only way to get them clean is with acid. Unless you happen to like brushing!

------------------

Our Sponsors