Scanning your fleet accounts

Bridget

We were approached some time back with the concept of using scanning technology to register the washed units on the job site.

It would go something like this...
When a contract is awarded, it would be agreed that each unit to be washed would have a small bar code sticker placed on it.

The washer/wash crew would have hand held devices that would have preprogrammed in them, all the customer info and unit prices. Once the unit was washed it would be scanned. The hand held would then print out a "wash slip" as a receipt.

When you return to the shop/office you place the hand held into a stand that would then download the washes for the day into your invoicing program.

I'm interested in any thoughts you have on this concept. We were approached by someone who would put this together from scratch...I haven't read about any another software company that has tailored such a program for the washing industry...have you guys/gals?

------------------
Bridget
United Mobile Power Wash
Our Power Is In Our
Performance
WWW.WeWashTrucks.com

Dan S

wow that's high tech >>>>>>>
and i hope it dont come to that for me...sounds like a waste of time .....just another tool you need to carry around and forget where you laid it........not to mention if you forget to 'scan' and you dont remember untill monday afternoon i guess you dont get paid for that weekend.

just my thoughts >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

------------------
YES I BELIEVE !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="MediumBlue">
I haven't heard of any but think it would gave you an edge on the bigger accounts.It would save them book work if you programed it in with their program as in records on each truck.It would be faster then pen and paper after you get ajusted.

But where would you put the codes on the trucks and trailers as not to get knocked "wreck" or washed off.If a code was missing and thats the only way you set up to get paid what then after you done washed it.

Why not set the program up on the lic'en plate # on each and just key it in,think it would be better and quicker,,you wouldn;'t have to worry about the codes ever.If the truck or trailer doesn't have a # thats what I use now.I wouldn't mind being set up the lazy mans way,it'll cut down on your paper work which is time wasted now days with pen and paper.

Any way if'en I was as big as ya'll me would go that route for more reasons then one. </FONT c></FONT f>

------------------
<FONT COLOR="orangeRed"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.</FONT c></FONT f><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.</FONT c></FONT f><FONT face="comic sans MS"><FONT COLOR="blue">Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.</FONT c></FONT f>

<FONT COLOR="red"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">When In Doubt,,,Think It Out</FONT c></FONT f><FONT COLOR="green"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">.....triplel@bscn.com</FONT c></FONT f>

Jackrabbit

Wouldn't missing the count be covered by comparing the printed slips with the number of trucks on the site??

You could do the usual job and afterwards go around and scan all of the trucks at one sweep. It would be like production scan tracking, do the pile of work assigned and scan all at once before shipping to next stage.

You might want to have an extra set of bar code tags in your truck, in case something happened to the one on their truck (scratch, fender-bender, etc).
If it's a new program you also want to have a backup plan to cover any "bugs" that arise. (miss scans, double scans, etc.)

They always say "be consistent", do it all right or all wrong! This program will either simplify your system or screw it all up. LOL. Good luck!

JRabbit

Jay

Why wouldn't you just write the numbers down on a sheet of paper and save that money!

Now, If it could download the information straight to an invoice and format it ... that would be nice.

My thoughts, J

[This message has been edited by Jay (edited April 09, 2001).]

Bridget

Very good point Bigboy....

I am sure you could have a hand held that has a key pad and instead of scanning, you'd enter in the truck # or license plate #.

That would eliminate missing, scratched or unreadable bar code. That my friend is a good idea.

I also agree with the thought of weighing the cost and the effort that goes into "getting all the bugs out" to having a system that will hopefully make for more accurate, easier to read wash receipts.

Good food for thought guys...

------------------
Bridget
United Mobile Power Wash
Our Power Is In Our
Performance
WWW.WeWashTrucks.com

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
<FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="BlueViolet">

Yep,they have hand held key pads plus a printer you can add to each wash rig to print out on the spot receipts or you can plug them into a phone and send to main pc.May be alittle costly with the printers tho for each rig depends on how much ya want to send to save on down the road.You can key in each accounts # for different pric-e and your employees will never know certain fleets prices.You can do alot with it bridget as in keeping records on what color truck,make of truck,model and even safety warnings for the account.Like broken windshield,headlamp all heck the list go's on and on.Think your pretty smart to think about even going this route cuzz Like I said it will gave you an edge over most as of now as in service.Next think ya know you'll want a robot guy to do the washing,just push his button for go.</FONT c></FONT f>

Hey Dan I'll agree with ya,WOW another thing the little guy as got to put up with,dang rich people anyway.

You need to save your money anyhow and get some glass so ya want keep the bodyshop in bussiness
hapfac01.gif
.<FONT size="4"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">Sample Text</FONT c></FONT f></FONT s>

------------------
<FONT COLOR="orangeRed"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">When answering Post If It Sounds As tho I'm Holding A Match To Ya "Fear Not" Its Only Lit On One End.</FONT c></FONT f><FONT face="Comic Sans MS"><FONT COLOR="Fuchsia">I'm No Doctor The Pill I Subscride Is For Me Only.They May Make You Jump Up and Down Or Crawl All Over The Ground.</FONT c></FONT f><FONT face="comic sans MS"><FONT COLOR="blue">Will Try To Help Sail Your Ship Even Tho Rocket Fuel Is The Tip.</FONT c></FONT f>

<FONT COLOR="red"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">When In Doubt,,,Think It Out</FONT c></FONT f><FONT COLOR="green"><FONT face="Comic Sans MS">.....triplel@bscn.com</FONT c></FONT f>

Dave Olson

On our biggest account we bill a set amount to come on their lot. We do 2 different locations once per month. Usually around 250 units total. We do not keep track of unit numbers. We just clean everything on the lot. When we have a 4-5 man crew working having a few more or less units really doesn't make much difference to us or our customer.

By the way, we have been doing it this way with this customer since 1986.

Dave Olson

------------------
Tidy Powerwash Service, Inc. P.O. Box 781, Catlin, Illinois 61817 Phone 217-427-5557, Fax 217-427-2632 We are a commercial cleaning contractor serving East-Central Illinois and West Central Indiana since 1984. http://www.tps-inc.com/preswash.htm

Jackrabbit

Bridget,
I've had experience using bar code tracking in production work flow. We were tracking in the thousands of units and not dozens. When it was running right we could pinpoint Joe Customer's new widget with a few mouse clicks. Let it hit a bump and we couldn't use it to locate the plant manager's liquor cabinet.

I guess my point is that you will see a distinct streamlining and control improvement when you use a proper program but you might want to continue your present tracking method as a proof for a while that the new system is running smoothly.

I didn't appreciate the value of a box of wooden matches till I threw them away, the day before my butane lighter ran out of gas.

JRabbit

Our Sponsors