Hardest Fields to get into

Scott Stone

Dan asked me to repost this so it would not be under his name.

John/Clean County PW

Gold Member
posted May 01, 2001 12:09 AM Staff Use Only:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Which PW field seems to be the hardest nut to crack? I basically do residential and to me that seems to be the easiest area to get involved in. I'm eye balling commercial accounts and if all goes well my yellow page add will becomming out soon.
Once again to me it seems the hardest field to get into and to know what your doing is restaurant kitchen exhaust cleaning also known as vent-a-hood. In that field there seems to be alot of things that can go wrong. Not having any experience in this field might be the reason I feel like this but when I first started PW I had just about Zero experience and I was able to pretty much figure out my field of expertise.
Knowing that my yellow page add might be comming out soon I may get calls to clean restaurant vent-a-hoods and I hate to turn down a challenge. This will be one tough nut to crack especially with zero experience.
What do you people feel is the hardest PW field to get to know? And there are plenty. Such as high rise bldg restoration etc....
-John-Clean County PW-
------------------

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Scott Stone

The Washer

posted May 01, 2001 04:08 AM Staff Use Only:

Every field has it's good points and bad points.
1. Fleetwashing provides a regular income and recurring work on a weekly or biweekly basis. The disadvantage is that every driver is your boss and they can an will complain about anything.
2. Flatwork let's you diversify your customer base. It also provides a regular income, but you have to get more seperate accounts to do the same sales volume. The disadvantage is that if a store is cutting back, it is one of the first things to be cut.
3. Residential provides a lot of cash. It also lets you work a regular week. I.E. No night work. Disadvantage, Seasonal, what are you going to do when winter comes.
4. Industrial, is very profitable, but it is really hard to find the decision maker.
5. Vent a Hoods are regular work, and it is something that has to be done by mandate( this does not mena that it is) Disadvantage, you have to have a lot of clients, work at night, and assume a ton of liability. The first person that will be accused if there is a fire is the vent guy.
6. Runway cleaning, really, really profitable. Disadvantage, always on the road, closed fraternity,(6-7 companies in the whole country) and really expensive equipment.
Well these are the biggies, can anyone think of additional stuff taht can be considered a specialty and the advantages and disadvantages. The only guideline is that someone has to be a able to make a living at it, and not have to do three jobs to support their pressure washing habit.
Scott

------------------
Any statement that I make about equipment, processes or your hair color is my own personal opinion. I usually base it on personal experience. If you disagree with me you are free to reply on both the BBS and by e-mail. If I am totally off base please explain why on the BBS so that we may all know why;)
Bus. Phone 480-834-3434
Cell Phone 602-509-9741

Our Sponsors