Starter

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Hi Wiz,

My starter on my brand new Briggs went out after just a few jobs. Then was out for a few days. Suddenly working again. It looks like everything is connected securely. What's with that?

Any thoughts?

HI-Pressure

Dan,

Briggs uses a very cheap starter solenoid. They do crazy things sometimes. We replace them with a automotive type found on older ford vehicles. Once this is done we never see them back. Also check to make sure your battery connections are tight and pull keyswitch out and check to make sure it is plugged in all the way. We have found several new units with loose plugs at the keyswitch and at the charging regulator. Hope I could help.

Daren Marshall
HI-Pressure

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Absolutely..The starter solenoids on the Briggs, usually does not last long, the automotive (Ford) solenoids seem to last forever on these units. Honda and Kohler have the same weak link but not quite as prevalent a problem as the Briggs has with solenoids.

Jon

Dan,

Try any of your local auto parts stores, dealers but they charge to much or one of those auto places that specialize in older cars.

H

Hotwaterwizard

I also have had this happen the key switch had a loose wire on one of the terminals. Hope everyone knows you should pull the trigger when starting your machine!

Andy Wheatley

Dan,

Did you ever get your starter? I was wondering what you came up with in terms of a non-Briggs starter, and where you ended up getting it.

Thanks

H

Hotwaterwizard

They are refering to the solnoid not the starter it's self. There is no after market starter that I know of.[bp]

Our Sponsors