Cat pump

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
If my cat pump has to much oil, is that bad. I changed it the other day. You know what a pain that is considering the location. I have a feeling that all the old oil didn't come about because of the angle of my trailer.

I filled it with 1.25 quarts. I think it requires 1.50. I filled it and when you open the cap you can see the oil and it all looks very clean. But I don't remember every seeing it before. I use to be able to tell by the site glass. But when I drained it and when I filled it. I could not see through the glass. For one, it's in a bad location. But I use to be able to tell when it was in the middle.

The pump appears to run very smooth with out any oil coming out of the air hole.

Jim&Shirley

Hi Dan,
we also have that problem with ours, usually if its over filled
it will blow out the port holes like you stated, also your right normally you dont see the pump oil with the cap off.

just our thougts and hope this helps

JIM & SHIRLEY

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor

When your crankcase is overfull you risk blowing an oil seal, most often it will blow out of the breather hole in the oil fill cap, but I have seen cases where the oil seals have blown.

It is real easy to siphon some oil out with a siphon pump such as the pump used for gear lube, or for hand cleaners..

just my $.02 worth.
[hand]

H

Hotwaterwizard

I Tend to agree with mark on this one . You can blow an oil seal.[boo]

Last edited by a moderator:
H

Hotwaterwizard

Cat 57 specs

Here is a Spec Sheet on The Cat 55

Cat 55 Specs
fetch.dll

Last edited by a moderator:

HI-Pressure

[boing] Like Mark and Wiz said it would be much better to get the oil at the right level. Have seen several seals ruined because of too much oil.

Some of those pumps are a bear to get the oil out of so we made a vacuum tank to suck the oil from the pump. We use it all the time to change oil on the engine also. No mess and its actually faster. Its portable and uses an air powered vacuum generator that pulls a 21inhg in a air tank. We just bought some cheap portable air tanks and adapted to our own use. They work good and cost about a $100 - 150 to make. Just remember don't use it to remove fuel!!!!!!

Daren AKA HI-Pressure

Dan S

why do they put those site glasses where they do?
boy you would think that with there knowledge they would know something........i have a simple way ........

i use a little mirror to check the level in pump.i use one like the dentist use ....works great and i hang on my sun-visor......

maybe somebody else has a better idea..............

lets here 'em>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
I have a Cat #55 and to see the level is almost impossible. Now that Dan brought it up. I think that's how I saw it last time. I think I used a mirror and a flash light. My unit is in a enclosed trailer, The lighting is bad.

If you open the cap on the pump, you see metal and a little hole were you can see the piston through. The oil level is just starting to come up through that hole to the metal you see as soon as you open the cap.

I will take a picture of it today. Before I try to get some out. What a pain in the A**.

[white]

Jon

Good grief all,

For around $25-35 bucks you can buy a cat pump drain kit, here it is installed on my unit, makes changing the oil clean as can be and no more reaching behind and inside to do it.

I don't have a picture of it attached to the drain end, yes you remove the drain plug and this goes in in it's place. Even I who is not very mechanical installed it.

Yes you still have to use a mirror to see the level of oil in there.

Attachments

• my pictures.jpg
    my pictures.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 149
Last edited:
H

Hotwaterwizard

Cat 55

My post now has Cat 55 Spec sheet on it! But I can't Upload pictures yet! What's up with that?

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Jon,

You got it from???????? I have been looking for something like that. I can't wait to get one. Hey Mark, do you carry the cat pump drain kit. If so send me one. Put it on my card

[jr]

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Dan,

I will check in to the drain kit and get one coming to you ASAP!

Thanks for your business!

[flag] [hand]

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
You're Welcome

Thanks for your fast response and support with Whisper Wash. I will be waiting by the mail box. Let me know if you need anything else from me to complete the sale. If not just go with it. Also thanks for your support over the last several months. I hope you get it back 2 fold. If anyone needs any products related to our sponsors, please check them before you look elsewhere. They are a big part of our communities success.

Our Sponsors