Auctions, City, State, Federal

Scott Stone

I love going to auctions as well. I seldom get a chance to though. It always seesm like they are on Saturday, and for fleetwashing that is my big day. I have missed a few incredible deals because I could not go though. I have friends that go.

Walt Graner

I'm going to one this Saturday, got my eye on a dump truck and some odds and ends. My wife never knows what I'll show up with next.

Scott Stone

I can tell you about the last auction I missed. Someone picked up an 88 Ford 3 axle dump, with an engine (Cat 3208) that had 3000 miles on it (new, not Rebuilt) and a rebuilt tranny for $4500. It was enough to make me want to cry.
Scott

Cody

<font color=e87400>I just got back from an auction and there were some steels. Brand New Tuff heater $300, Whisperwash surface cleaner (2) $190 each, a ingersol rand screw compressor for $375 ,<i>I'm kickin myself for that one I wasn't paying attention when it went up and missed it I would've been estatic to get it for under a $grand

Cody.

<marquee><FONT COLOR="#FF8000">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="#DB9200">&nbsp;</FONT><FONT COLOR="#B6A400">L</FONT><FONT COLOR="#92B600">O</FONT><FONT COLOR="#6DC900">V</FONT><FONT COLOR="#49DB00">E</FONT><FONT COLOR="#24ED00">&nbsp;</FONT><FONT COLOR="#00FF00">A</FONT><FONT COLOR="#24ED09">U</FONT><FONT COLOR="#49DB12">C</FONT><FONT COLOR="#6DC91B">T</FONT><FONT COLOR="#92B625">I</FONT><FONT COLOR="#B6A42E">O</FONT><FONT COLOR="#DB9237">N</FONT><FONT COLOR="#FF8040">S</FONT></marquee>

Walt Graner

Got it

Well got the truck, 1985 six yard dump 8.2 Detroit, 5 speed with 2 speed rear-end, clean little truck for $ 3,200.00 Oh yea 120K miles.

Scott Stone

Sounds like a good deal. The 8.2 is a decent little engine. Just what you need for a painting and pressurewashing operation. ( I know, it is for your construction business)
Scott

Walt Graner

Scott

What do you know about trucks?

I just got my CDL, and I don't have the hand of the two speed rear-end jet any pointers?

Scott Stone

I know more than I want to about trucks. I used to drive for a couple of different companies. The two speed rear ended trucks are really easy to drive. The 9 speeds and up are a little more difficult.
With the two speed rear ends you can drive it pretty much like a four or five speed when the truck is empty. If they are loaded you need to use the rear end to split the torque band so that it is easier to pull. So you put it in the drive gear with the splitter down. You accelerate up to around 1900 RPM in a diesel, push in the clutch and split the gear. !900 Rpm Clutch, push splitter down and shift. If push the splitter down after you shift, it is more likely to grind the gears. You can do it this way all the way up throught the power band.
On the bigger transmissions most truck drivers use the clutch for two things. One is to get started and the other is to stop. Any other time when they are shifting the are "slip shifting" or "floating the gears". In fact, after you get experience with the bigger trucks, you can tell if someone hs been using the clutch to shift with because it just doesn't feel right.
Let me know if this helps, if it doesn't tell me what sounds stupid so that I can change the way that I said it.
Scott

Pooder

As for the link above, search bid results and see all the stuff customs has confinscated and sold
at auction. very intrtesting. The auctions are usally on the coasts.

Walt Graner

Hey Scott, just got the title to the dump truck and it has 74,000 original miles on it!

It ain't even broke-in, they even sent me a complete booklet on all maintenance since they got it (never had this happen before) dropped her off to get oil, filters, belts and paint done this week should have it back by Friday.

Scott Stone

Sounds like you are well on your way to becoming a dirt jerker. :D It sounds like one of the finds of the century. As for the records. It sounds liek the government agency is on their toes. If you ever do want to bid on that kind of stuff again you can always get the records under the freedom of information act. Of course, they could drag their feet to keep you from getting it too early.
Scott

Our Sponsors