Life, it's a good thing:)

Walt Graner

I'ts funny how time can just fly by. Just had #3 addition to our family this year (a boy) and the first 2.5 months of his life I've been out working. It hit me last night when I got home (at 11:30pm) all asleep, went from room to room like every night to give a little kiss on the head, when I got to Daniel he rolled over. I ran to my wife and told her that I just saw him roll over, she laughed and said in a sleepy voice, "He's been doing that for a week"

Man that really hurt, I know I work so that my wife can stay at home and all but I'm going to take some time off to; sit & talk with my wife, smell the flowers with my daughter, play moster trucks with my son and make faces at my baby boy.

I swear I'm such a sap, but I thank God for the life I have, it's time to enjoy it alittle. The world can just wait for me to get back.

D

DaveH

Walt,

That last message really hit home. I just started this Spring doing decks and fences. I am a full time firefighter and just wanted some extra money for the family. I have been so busy with the new business that I have to "rest" at the firehouse. I have not seen my wife or kids near as much as I would like the past two months.

I have re-evaluated my plan. Do quality work, but take less jobs. I am going to concentrate on the "good" jobs and try to pass on the others. I enjoy the business, it just really took me by surprise starting out.

You are right, the world can wait.

Andy Wheatley

Walt,

Congratulations !

We just had our 2nd child, but I blinked and now he's 2 years old. I blinked twice with our first and ended up at kindergarten registration this very week.

Mike Hughes

Originally posted by DaveH
take less jobs. I am going to concentrate on the "good" jobs and try to pass on the others.

That's the way to do it, Dave!

I too have been so busy I hardly see my son. He's 19 months old now. As dinnertime approaches, he runs around the house screaming "Daddy......home." I'm still an hour away. It sucks sometimes.

That's the nature of this business at this time of year............soon it will slow down and we'll get some sanity back.

Scott Stone

I know howthat is. I had a baby boy about 6 years ago.(number 3 of 4) I just got promoted at the job I was working at and working an idiotic amount of time. I came home one day and kissed my wife and he started wimpering, I picked him up and he started screaming. He did not recognize me. I quit the next day. Worked for someone else for a year, got to know my family again,(My wife is really cool!!) and then went full time in the business. I could not be happier.

Scott Stone

L

Layman's P/W

Hey everyone....Missing out on a child growing up is something you can never get back,the T-ball games, first words, helping them learn to count, and just watching them develop every day of there life. I have daughter five years old and I am only allowed to see her every other weekend, I have missed out on a lot of her life and I will never get it back. I guess what I am saying is there will always be jobs to do,estimates to give and people wanting you there yesterday but children only grow up once.

Dan S

now this is the type of subject i would rather read... enstead of ways to get more business>>>>> that crap is old>>>>>>>>>>>
if you dont know how to get a j0b by now why even bother....

Spend every day with your kids as possiable>>>

i guess every one of us can have a story to tell....and here is a lil of mine without trying to bore ya....

@ 5 yrs i was sent to a home mom /dad..... didnt want us anymore (they wanted freedom)..........i stayed in this children's home with some "strange people"
for 5-6 yrs.. and then went to foster home to foster home......
on my last foster home i guess they (state) had enough so they sent me away to a boys home...... bummer.......
after a couple of yr's of this i got another foster home.....
that's where i stayed and the school i went to on this last home is where i meant my wife...... we have been together since 1979
today we have 3 boys of our own and 1 foster son...
and i thank GOD every day for my(our) business that we have because we are very blessed to have it ... and im able to spend alot of time with my boy's ....

ANYBODY CAN MAKE MONEY
NOT JUST ANYBODY CAN BE A DAD!!!!!!!!!

You only go around once
make the best of it!!!!!!!!

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
That’s funny,

I had that same flash back about two summers ago. I took my kids on a 2 months vacations. The kicker was the wife only meet up with us in Disney world for last two weeks. She needed a break and I loved the bonding time I had with my kids.

I‘ve got three Ryan 7, Veronica 11 & Derek 12.

I can understand what we as providers go through. You are so right about stopping and smelling the roses. Even though now I do spend more time with my youngest you always want more. Derek my twelve-year-old wants to hang around friends more. If we all go to the park it’s like pulling teeth to get him to come.

My kids do multiple activities, keep in mind even with all these activities the most enjoyable thing we do is play pepper in the back yard. They beg me when I come home to go out back and play pepper. The one thing it seems we all have in common is baseball. We all play it and we all love it. Even my wife gets out back and plays with us. She can’t hit but she tries.

It’s the simple things that make kids happy. Walt when its comes to our children we probably all are saps.
I know I struggle every day to keep promises to my kids that I have made. I wish you lot of luck in finding that time and hope you myself and everyone else is able to keep their promises because our kids deserve it.

Here’s where I been spending at least 20 to 30 hours a week.

Coaching little league is a lot of fun. Picture of Ryan in center field.

View

Veronica cracking a base hit.

View

Veronica ,after a tough day at the park.
View

Ryan is watching his sister game.
View

Veronica & Derek school music recital.

View

Ryan & Derek in Front of Caesar’s palace Las Vegas. They are fighting, Ryan says ‘mom lost all the money’ Derek says ‘no mom was up and dad lost all her money’

View

Being able to be proud of your kids is a great thing. I love my family and I’m grateful for all the wonderful joys I have.

I guess I might be a bigger lug than you Walt. Its great you realized something before its too late.

Last edited:

Dave Olson

Some of you guys are the ages of my kids! My kids are 38, 35, 30 years old.

Yes I missed out on to many things when they were growing up!

My youngest just called, "Hey Dad wanna go for a ride tomorrow"? He is a truck driver. I going to. Will be a 14-15 hour day but be able to spend one on one time with the kid!

Thanks Walt for your post. I suggest to all of you that still have your parents around. Call Them! See if you can spend some time with them just as you are doing with your kids. Remember You are still their KIDS.

Dave Olson

Beth

Boy does this hit home!
There are never enough hours in the day, and on top of it kids are only kids once!

Madison is 6 1/2, and Miles is about to turn 11! It seems like yesterday I held them in my arms at 2 am!

Stop and smell the roses........or should I say...

Play ball, or Barbie or go fish....
Sit down and draw pictures and cover the fridge with them!
Read lots of bedtime stories
look at the world through their eyes
catch fireflies this summer

Beth

Mike Hughes

This subject didnt hit home enough for me today, I guess. I didn't get home till 8pm tonight..........son went to bed crying for me............that kills me.

Is it Memorial Day yet?? I need some time off!

Funny, will even be working on the holidays. We're going to my sister-in-law's house, 100 miles away, and I'm taking my truck/trailer and washing their deck for them. Its huge, about 36 x 16...........elevated. I have two washers on my rig, so I'm putting my brother-in-law to work! Should be interesting.

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Great post Walt,

Unfortunately we are not parents yet, except for my two dogs. They are like little people and definitely part of our family. But we really can't wait and feel what your feeling.

I'm very happy to say that my wife and I are expecting our first in late Dec. We have been trying for 6 years now. Came close once about a year and a half ago. We hope all goes well this time. So far so good. I hope to pass on the good new around Christmas.

[white]

powerkleen

Hey Guys and Gals,

I have a little one that is 8.5 months old. I get to spend a decent amount of time with him. My current job is 12 hour shift rotating every two weeks. Press biz has been slow this season, so far. I have not tried to market much, though. Just got married and enjoying everything else. Looking for a job change, but not likely.

Anthony

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Congratulations Dan, I am sure you and your wife are thrilled, I can remember the birth of my firstborn like it was yesterday.

[bp]

Douglas Hicks

I have 4 kids, and my girlfriend, Dee has 4. They are all grown, & now we have 13 grandchildren. I would post pictures, but all of you would be green w/envy, so I will spare you. We have 2 grandsons, 9 and 12 this weekend for camping, hiking, mountain biking and fishing. Michael, a 6 year old granddaughter was here today. She rides w/o training wheel now. So of course I took her for a ride on the tandem. When we got back, I sat in the recumbent. Soon she was on my lap, pushing the pedals. I pedaled to the sidewalk, were she took over, taking us down the sidewalk. I just balanced and steered. I pedaled back. She likes to go fast. grandkids are lots of fun, they behave and mind much beter than thier parents. we take them camping, backpacking and to deer and elk camp. I just wish we could spend more time w/all of them.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

L

Layman's P/W

Well I took Maeghan back to her mother today and we had a great time the last few days digging worms,swimming and getting some yard work finished. I just had to post a pic..... not sure if it will work but.........

view

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
your close, dont put the [] around the address. dont use capital letters.

view

she is pretty:) ;)

Last edited:

Our Sponsors