huntin' season

Jon Fife

gentlemen,

i think we have about 5 months left until deer season, and i am already getting excited!! i am trying to find a place to lease up north somewhere for a little hunt, or possibly even south texas. if any of you northern guys have some property that you'd like to make some money off of this year, please me know. States i'd be interested in would be minn, wisc, mich, iowa, ill (central and above). didnt get to turkey hunt this year because of work, but aint gonna stop me from deer season!! are any of yall big hunters?? let's talk about it!!

later on ,
jon fife
nashville,TN
(615)837-3663

Andy Wheatley

I AM !!!

Used to live in Dallas, TX. Paid big $$$ for a lease. Went in with about 6 buddies. Moved to upstate NY - all I have to do now is ask the farmers if I can hunt their land. Great place.

I got a pretty nice tom this season, bout a 3 yr old bird, roughly 9 1/2" beard, spurs go just a hair over 1 1/4. My father in law called him in. He was about 25-30 yds out, he bowed up and started to call and my father in law interrupted him. Didn't even phase him. Great time. I think they need to adjust the season here and make it a little earlier.

And yes - I have been ready for deer season since the day deer season closed. This last season I applied for an extra doe tag and got it! Keeping my fingers crossed this year too. I plan on hunting some state land this year, its harder to hunt because they can go everywhere. But that just means I get to scout more.

You guys have tons of deer in TN don't you?

Jon Fife

oh me, we have too many deer!! many southern states barely even regulate hunting any more because of the herd numbers. The thing is, the deer down here are roughly the size of a large dog!! i like to consider myself a sportsman and not just a trophy hunter, but it is nice to hunt somewhere where you know there is a chance that you could kill a big animal. i just got a new 7mm mag before last season, and only got to hunt one day!! but that was enough time for me to miss a shot at a coyote. looking foreward to breaking out the bow and gun this year, killed a 130 class buck two years ago, but my dad has a 150 class on the wall that i've got to beat!! take care andy,

jon fife

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
<b><font color=blue>AR. is the same way alot of deer,we have gone with the 6 point rule.He's not legal under 6 which I like,get to see or hear more fights during the rut.I used to love to hunt but when I bought the bass boat I hung my bows and guns on the wall.I fish alot of the rivers around here and see several monster trophies,makes my mouth water but I can enjoy the chance just to set and watch him get a drink.The blood rush doesn't help my fishing none tho haha.My son is the deer hunter now,he hunts from Oct. though Feb.,when I show him pictures of the monsters I take from the boat he goes little off the deep in.He hasn't stuck a trophy yet,missed his chance last year tho he had just stuck a timber rattler and hadn't reloaded when one walked up on him,,I told him not to worry b/c that kind of luck runs in the family............Hat off to all you deer hunters.</b></f>

Andy Wheatley

I think the population is growing everywhere, just not enough hunters anymore. I hunt in a shotgun only zone but that 7mm mag would do great out west. Normal ranges here are about 15 yds for bow and 40 for gun. Alot of the guys out in TX set up feeders, I never got into that. I like to go hunt them.

Michael T

Huntin' season.... Fishin

Greetings, This is my first time to post . Ive been a reader up till now. I just had to get in on this one. The subdivision I live in ( 5 acre + lots) has so many deer its dangerous to drive in sometimes. Around here its just a meat haul most of the time. Like Ted Nugent its just wackum and stackum. Not much sport involved. Yes we do use feeders, Its kind of like feeding your own herd. To put some sport into it we use bows during archery season and crossbow during rifle season. The subdivision association frowns on using firearms, I guess the home are too close together. I got tired of spending big bucks for leases and getting little results. There is very limited public access in TX for hunting. Ive put in to go to Colorado Elk hunting this year, havent heard back on my success of the draw yet. About 10 yrs ago a friend introduced me to saltwater fishing, WOW thats the ticket. Now I can hunt for BIG fish year around. In TX being there isnt any winter you can fish freshwater and go to the coast about any time barring a huricane or something like that . I sold my bass boat and bought a Center Console Bay Boat about 6 years ago . Best thing I did for the family, everyone loves it. I can Be on fresh water in 25 mins. or at the coast in 3 hrs. Some time in the future we should put together a fishing trip to the coast for the TX PWers it could be some good fellowship ( you foreigners are invited also) and a time to R&R with families and friends. If we planned far enough in advance we could fit most everyones schedule. Am I ramblin now? I guess so. This is a great board.

See you Later.
Michael T

Andy Wheatley

Michael,

TEXAS??? Is that somewhere in the United States? (kidding). I just moved to Upstate NY from Dallas. Lots and lots of game up here.

I hope that draw works out for you. I haven't been elk hunting, YET.... I looked into a limited elk hunt in PA. But after talking with a few people, the areas they have zoned are so small and they also told me that a large majority of the elk are almost like pets, I decided against it. You might consider putting your name in in NM since you're out that direction.

Last year the most fishing I got in was bowfishing for carp. It was a great time but we ended up flipping the canoe trying to chase arrows through the water. I got ta get more fishing in. My father-in-law & I plan on going after some salmon in the future. Miss those TX bass. I'm sure you'll get some takers if you plan a fishing trip.

Good luck -

Our Sponsors