Watts, Pressure, Flow HorsePower ,,, Ohhhh no!!!

Cody

<font color=e87400>I'm not to bright when it comes to these things, With a 21 hp motor and a 5.5 / 4000 pump what would be left over for a generator. I have a choice of putting on a 5000w or a 2600w. The price of the 5000w isn't much more than the 2600w but could I actually use it.

I need about 700-1000w for a heater and 1000w for lights. I'd prefer to have 2000w available for lights.

So will a 21 hp motor do all this

5.5 @ 4000
leaves (?) for generator Power?

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Cody,

I would need to research that but I think you might need a little more Horsepower, I know All American powers a 5 GPM @ 3500 PSI unit with a 18 HP Kohler pulling @ a 2KW generator.
Then Alkota uses a 20 HP Kohler for 5.5 @ 3500 PSI, pulling a 2000 watt generator.

I will try to research this for you tomorow!
[hand]

H

Hotwaterwizard

Generator Answer

Okay Here we go.
Take a look at gas powered Generators by theirselves.
2.0kw has a 4 hp Engine.
2.5kw has a 5 hp Engine.
3.0kw has a 6 hp Engine.
5.0kw has a 10hp Engine.

See a pattern here?
Kw x 2 = Horsepower!

Now for the Pressure washer part.
GPM x PSI / 1100 5.5 x 4000 / 1100 = 20hp
I say your machine is only using 5GPM instead of the pumps rated Gpm. Here is why. 20 hp + 4 hp = 24 hp. Your engine is 21 hp?
Lets figure it the other way.
5 x 4000 / 1100 = about 18 hp that leaves 3 hp for the generator.
That is cutting it so close.
If you want the 5kw you need a 25hp to 30hp engine instead of the 21hp.

oguard

While it is admirable to attempt to save money and use the generator on your pressure washer to power additional items, NO generator manufacturer will warrant the unit doing both.

There are outlets on the generators but they are of limited value after you have hooked up the burner. Most of the units built use a belt drive generator so the wattage available is a nominal number. They are all sized to power the burner and little else, a generator in name not purpose.

Ideally you will purchase a purpose built generator to power your ancillary items. This will give you surge and overload protection and a warranty.

Look at David Olson's unit from Tidy Powerwash for proper setup using an auxillary genset.

Hope this helps? Cheers.

Our Sponsors