Measuring customer satisfaction....

Beth

Do you all measure customer satisfaction? How do you do it? Phone calls? Surveys? What?

We have a survey we use. Just curious what everyone else does.

Beth

Cody

<font color=e87400>Nope!

I only do commercial. If they don't call to complain it was a good job!

I keep a fair line of communication with my customers but never really ask them how the service is. My fair communication is 95% FAX & Email. Once I sell the customer I rarely ever talk to them on the phone or in person. 2 reasons, 1) Most of my customers are not in my area 2) I feel that they like FAX & email better since it doesn't tie them up. It's quicker to read and type than it is to have a conversation!

Cody

Beth

Ever think about an email campaign to see how satisfied they are? Or via fax?

We get a pulse from both residential and commercial clients. Typically we drop off the survey at the end of the job, but you could certainly automate it.

Just a thought....
;)

Bridget

The Survey Says......

Beth:

We too mail out survey's. After a month from the initial mailing, we do a shorter, "Quick Fax" version to those who hadn't responded yet. We get a good response from both. If I'm not mistaken last year we had a 23% return rate....That is good considering a 5% return rate is the norm.

It's a good tool. It allows customers who we can't catch up with on the phone or in person to take a second and tell us what they like or don't like about the services they are receiving.

This is also a good indicator if you have people washing with you/for you, and how they are doing. A friend of mine suggested tying incentives to the results of the surveys and rewarding individuals accordingly. We are going to look into that this season.

We have also added a line to the survey asking if they are interested in receiving a quote on additional services. (i.e. cab detailing, tank polishing etc...) That went over REALLY well.

Bridget

Beth

I like the way you think! :)
I'll have to add that to ours....additional services....

We currently do annual mailings to our client base to get them moving and taken care of before the season hits full throttle.

We have been mulling around an incentive program for employees, but so far have not come up with one that we want to implement. Although we do have an employee referral program in place for those who have friends who want to work hard all summer.

Beth:)

Cody

Originally posted by Beth
Ever think about an email campaign to see how satisfied they are? Or via fax?

We get a pulse from both residential and commercial clients. Typically we drop off the survey at the end of the job, but you could certainly automate it.

Just a thought....
;)

<font color=e87400>Yeah I've thought of it. Frankly though i feel that it's not worth the effort for several reasons.

1)As I said before I have an open line of Communication with my customers. For the most part they NEVER complain. I've had probably only 3 complaints in 10 years with my commercial customers. <i>I sell them well</i>

2)I get / have gotten referrals from nearly all my customers. <i> this tells me they are happy.</i>

3)Pursuing such information really only increases the work load of my clients. One of my sales strategies my customers is they're rarely having to deal with us, I do my best not to bother my customers. i do the job I send em a fax with any details they should be aware of. I usually try to build a rapport with the sweeping companies so as they will call "me" when there is a problem (Cleaning related) with the property so as I can possibly save the PM having to deal with it.

4)I don't want to get my customers looking for flaws in my work.

5)Why?? I mean really! What is the bottom line reason for doing this? For my business I really see no point to it.

I guess for some it may be a decent marketing tool, Maybe. Perhaps it builds reliability in your services to your customers. If you think it'll work for you go for it. I just never saw the reason to waste the resources on such a campaign.

If you're doing it to better your inner workings well maybe it'll benefit you that way, then again why do you want to customers to look for flaws in your service? Just leave it be, if a mistake is made they'll tell ya, then reassure the customer it will never happen again, then NEVER LET IT HAPPEN AGAIN!!! If they complain about employees, just discipline the employee, if they do it again FIRE EM!!!

Keep it Simple~!
Cody!

Dave Olson

Hi Folks,

This first time I lost a customer, I felt like I had been fired! We did not loose the account from anything that we had done, they found out that the leasing company for their equipment would clean it for free!

I had a regional manager of a resturant chain call and cancel our services for 6 of their locations. A month or so later one of the resturants called for us to clean their drive-thru, etc. Told him that we were canceled by their regional guy saying we were to expensive! The store manager said yeh but you guys do such a great job! We started cleaning them again!

We still have some customers that we had when we started in 1984. We have several that have had us provide cleaning services for 12 to 15 years.

Most all of our accounts are industrial or commercial. Some we have not talked with for years! We do what we are supposed to do, send them an invoice and they send money. :) The vast majority of the accounts that we have lost over the years have closed their operations! Our area has had many businesses close in the past 25 years. The unemployment rate in this area is about 10%! This area has lost about 20% of the population it had in the mid 70's.

We provide our customers with a certificate of insurance each year. Rather than having our insurance company mail them I send them out along with a flier telling of our services.

Dave Olson

Dan S

Hello Beth>>>>>>>>>>>>>

you know what is really great about this business ?

this past weekend i had 6 dif. drivers say how well there trucks looked..........and even the big BOSS said they looked liked i wax 'em.......i never go searching for comments or hand in surveys but .........thats not to say that is bad.......

i felt really good about those comments as soon as i came home i told my wife,,,,,,,,,,, she probably thought i was like a lil kid ......

dont get me wrong i get good comments all (some) of the time but this time it really hit me hard..... i was on cloud 9 and now i know im the best washer......... LOL.......
there is nothing better than to get a pat on the head and have someone say good job.......

Cody

Originally posted by Beth
Dude~
Whatever works for you...

Beth

<font color=e87400>I'm not really sure how to take that. Seems sorta rude! If my post offended you, it was not my intention. You asked for opinions, I gave it.

Have A Great Day!

Cody!

Cody

<font color=e87400>Dave,,

Sounds like we're in the same boat, I too have customers that I have'nt spoken with in ages. Eery year or two (depending on the contract) I send out a new contract with questionaire & they send it back signed & filled out. Many of my customers I have never even seen. So I would'nt know them from Adam if I bumped into them. I feel that they absolutely appreciate this as much as i do, it's a low maintnance relationship.

Cody.

PS the Questionaire I send out is just a Company info change of information sheet. It has all their company info that I have on file I just have em review it for bad / changed information. Such as a new PM, Phone #, new properties etc...

Beth

Cody,
I don't see what's rude about my post....
I don't hold back when I speak. Ask anyone on the board who has known me a few years.

Whatever works for you, means simply whatever works for you.

To each his own, different strokes for different folks, etc.

However....your post to me did read a little harshly, but then I also realize that it is not always easy to interpret the typed word, and I left it at that without getting into a big debate. Should I have been offended?

You see Cody, there is no right or wrong here. This is simply a discussion about processes and ways to measure satisfaction and customer loyalty, both of which are critical if the buying cycle is to continue past the first sale. But then, I'm sure you know that.

There are alot of folks here doing residential work, or who work in highly compeditive areas, or for example janitorial work which has a higher turnover. Many are also newbies who could probably use tools like these to their betterment to get them started.

Many years ago IBM thought they were too big to be conquered... "Big Blue" could never stumble, never fall. 'Nuff said 'bout that.

I don't like surprises. I like to see the future coming, and I use all the tools I have been trained and educated to use, at my disposal.

Have a great day,

Beth:)

Last edited:

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
<b><font color="FF00FF"><marquee> :D....................HI Dude...................... :D.</b></f></marquee>

Beth

Cody,
I use "dude" as a friendly term, and have for years. Occasionally you might even hear me say 'way cool'.... or 'don't go there'....

If I did offend you, I certainly did not intend to. :(

Beth

<noted for future reference, don't call Cody DUDE ;) >

Larry L.

<marquee><font color=red>............:D hat fit now Dude.........:D</f></marquee>

Last edited:

Cody

<font color=e87400>NP Beth

I took it wrong sorry,

I saw it as sarcastic:

Dude, Whatever <i>then rolleyes, shake fist below waist, flip finger!</i>

That is usually how I & other Floridians use that conjunction of Dude~ Whatever!

Evidently things are different elsewhere,, so NP!

Cody

Dan S

you guys are soooooooooooo cought up in the "dude thing"
you probably never even read my post........

i was in tears when i wrote that >>>>>>>>>>>>
and you just slip right past my post

<marquee> [dog] i guess i will go out and talk to my dog </marquee>

im just having a lil fun hear really i am..........

im glad you guys made up ..........................
it was yhe professional thing to do.............
by the way i got another call yesterday from the BOSS i just cant understand it i have been washing there rigs for 3 years and never heard nothin now i hear how well im doing......and i havent changed a thing..
so while i was on the phone with 'em i asked him what is up why are you calling now.....thinking maybe they want to give me "the shaft"..... and he said nothing he just thought he would call and tell me to keep up the good work...........and also wants to know if i would be interested in signing a 3 year contract.... currently we are on a yearly contract................

so i drew up a dif. contract and it's printing as i type ...............

HANG LOOSE DUDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Larry L.

<b>Looks like the dog don't want you talking to him either cuzz he's running off with his chain LOL.

Glad your crying over the good job done but you may be bawing in 3 years with that contract if you stay with the price you have now.I think I read one of your post that said you haven't went up in years.Maybe BOSS is useing his head as to the future of things to come,seems he has you crying with joy,,he's got you where he wants you pat pat pat pat.
In three years alot of things can change but a "contract" if not worded right.fuel is already on the climb,min. wage will go up which means parts,chemicals,ect. will also climb.
Better yet talk to your son on this one and listen to what he has to say,daddy may have to many tears in his eyes right now to see every far :D.You think Boss would sign a 3 year contract on the frieght his hauling at todays price without something in there that would turn him loose of the contract or go up in price if need be.Your not going to lose the account b/c of price b/c of the quailty of work thats done,,,the quailty may fall in 3 years b/c of price to wash them,,,,just becareful in setting prices in contracts at todays price.
As long as I've been in bussiness I know that pat pat pat will keep you from going up alot of times even you know you should but there is something about that pat pat pat that makes you want to jump with joy and do alittle more at your expence.
I think these truck driver know to pat pat pat to get a better job at the same cost,yel they know how to handle a washboy to get a cleaner truck pat pat pat.

Not knocking you Dan on the good job done,I think its great to have someone pat pat pat you on the back,it puts spark back in a fellow.Just watch your three year contracts and word them so you can go up if need be.If I was there I would also pat pat pat you on the back for job will done.

O use Arkansasians know the differents in 'Dude" ,,in most cases its finger time but like beth said some use it all time,.I had a hadit of calling everybody "BOY" and that word too will get you a finger.<b>

<marquee>[dog][whip]</marquee>

Our Sponsors