Wash Time?

Andy's Car Wash

I just started doing fleets, I started out doing auto and motorhome details but wanted something more steady. Anyway I have started doing a few companies that have several box vans (like bread trucks) Just curious how long it takes you guys to do them. The customers want me to brush, or at least not use any harmful chemicals, the EPA is TOUGH here. Thanks for any help

AndysCarWashh@hotmail.com

Scott Stone

Are you a one man show or do you have a helper? One man, about 8-9 minutes, with a helper 4-5 minutes. We do seem to work faster than a lot do, though.

Scott

Dan S

8-10 min's should be tops for a 1 man.........

you can get great chem's that will do the job and you never have to brush......... if you have your m.s.d.s sheet handy show 'em that ,and assure 'em that your chem's arent "harsh".........
make sure all you chem's are biodegradable......
and if they still give you a hard time about using 'em find something else that will work great.......if that still dont work ask 'em if they use soap when they shower......lol.........

i do on an average of 100 tractors a weekend and i never pick up a brush...............just pre-spray and wash off with cold h20 and lots of pressure...... sometimes i use the burner for greasy spots but hardy ever i use heat in the summer.... >/ winter is a different story............

Andy's Car Wash

Sorry to ask so many questions, but what chemicals do you use? The local chemical shop let me try a couple of Hotsy products; Product 99 as the acid and Breakthrough($$$) as the detergent. Maybe I am just not doing it right, but it didn't appear to get my truck much cleaner than just spraying it down with the pressure washer. I applied the acid with a foamer, let it dwell, then rinsed with the soap, then cold water. How many PSI do you use on vehicles? Do you use DI water, or how do you not dry?

This site is the best I have found with more info than all the others combined. Great work.
Thanks in advance
Andy
AndysCarWash@hotmail.com

Dan S

NEVER BE SORRY TO ASK QUESTIONS..........

as far as what chem's i use >>>>>>>>> i get it local here in my area i buy a drum (55gal) for 800.00 dollars ,but outa that same drum i make 8-10 more (55gal).........i have tryed just about every soap i could but this is the best i have found ...
you are referring applying chem's via 2 step i take it.....

that is a great way to do it and makes it shine as well ......they also make a 2-step machine that does it all for ya...........

no i dont use DI h20 >>>>>>> i pump outa the creek
DRY ? NAAAAAAAAAAAAAA i let the air dry 'em.............

<marquee> HAPPY WASHING </marquee>

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
<b>Guy'ly bum I didn't know they still made those wittle bread trucks the ones around here willl take alittle longer to do cuzz they wittle bigger.

They are alot of good soaps out there,the one your useing may be O K.What most make a mistake at when useing any chemical is getting the right formular mix for it to work.Some of these newer breeds of chemicals want work near as good if to strong,I know it doesn't make sinces but it seems to go againest the cleaning power if mixed to strong.Then again most users do not mix it strong enough for it to work.

Your mix may not be right for it to work on the bread trucks,depends.How offen they wash will have a effect on how to mix your chemicals for it to work on them,the type of paint will have an effect on what kind of chemical to use.Try adding to your mix your useing now to see if it will work,if it turns out costing to much to use it find another.

I just orded a new chemical which cost $30 a gal. its ok but will cost to much for me to use on each truck,I have some tho I can use it on and the cost is about the same as the others but still it has its advance in some cases.

Meaning,,Most good fleet soaps will clean just as good as the others if your mix is right,,Some take alittle longer to work then other,some will remove what others want.If the bread trucks are washed ever week you don't need a super dupper chemical to clean them but if monthly look for that supper dupper and to get it mix your soaps as strong as need be,,,,,you want find that mix on the label of the chemical your useing.</b>

Scott Stone

Bigboy is almost right :D :D :D
There are things that you will need to remember when starting any new fleet account.
The first is that the first couple of washes will always take longer. The reason is that you want to get them so they are easily washable. So you get them really clean the first couple of times and then they are much easier after.
You also need to make sure that you are using the chemicals that you need. If you want to try two stepping, do it, but remember that there is a whole different technique to doing it.
Every once in a while, you will have to break out the brushes on trucks. There is nothing that will break the surface tension or electrostatic bond between dirt and the truck surface like a little brushy brushy.

It is also helpful to have a variety of chemicals to work with. I use predominantly R109 and DNB1433 in my washing process. If the R109 is a little weak, I can boost it with the other, or spray it on straight.

Then remember, Even though every one thinks that truck washing is easy and brainless work, there is a lot of science and practice that needs to happen to make it work.

Scott Stone

Larry L.

<b>I like being almost right :D.

Guess I'll break down and agree with the brushy brushy on the electrostatic bond,not even the 2 step will break it but it keeps the buildup from happening faster.The more electro eqt. inside of the trucks the faster and more of it will build up on it.I never walk up to one that I have just wash and do the finger thing-e :D.

I see you tried the 1433 :D.,,,,,,,,,you want to try some of this $30 a gal. chemical,,,,will sale you about 3 gals. if you want to try it.Works good on polished,,if not to strong,,let me make you a bargin how bout giving me $20 a gal. and I pay shipping :D.</b>

Scott Stone

Let me see, $30 a gallon for chemical,and you will discountit to a mere $20 for me. Ummm, NO!!
Not unless it includes a bridge or something.

Larry L.

<b>Yel but just for you,I want sale it that cheap to others.I know how you are about trying new chemicals so I thought I give you a deal after you try it you may want to sale it to someone else for $40 a gal and make a little money.Tell you what how bout $15 a gl. and you can keep the can it came in.Really it doesn't take that much in .oz to make it work,it gets the bugs,it makes it shine what more do you want,I cann't give or send it to you free but if close enough I would just give it to ya so I could try something else.I'm still looking for that wonder chemical but think I'll let that $30 chemical along and try something cheaper :D.

I'm needing to reoder some of that other stuff and soap not low enough to order yet and decide'd to try 5 gal. of a different one.I didn't order enough of that other stuff when I placed a soap order last time b/c I was just trying it also.I went though four 55 gal. drums of that other stuff knowing I should save alittle b/c it wasn't going to last as long as the soap order.

The $30 a gal. chemical will do what its supposed to do tho b/c its made more for the carwash not the truckwash.Really I think you should buy what I have left b/c I just wasting it.</b>

Scott Stone

Most of the cars that we do, we hand wash. I am willing to bet that this stuff is too strong for that kind of work. The rest are trucks and visual jobs( I want to see out of the windows and mirrors without streaks.)

If it is really good I would be willing to try some, but if you can't use it, I probably can't use it either.

Scott

Larry L.

<b>yel yel yel its o k for hand washing cars too,it'll make those chrome bumpers shine plus sparkling windows,,how much you want.

Really with all honesty I don't even know the name of it,it came in with label off can plus no msda sheet.I orded it though a carwash that just started useing it and he doesn't even have the msda sheets on it or know the name of it,,thats all he uses how tho.I'm still playing with the mix as to what it will and want do.I've only used it as a prespray b/c he said to apply under low psi,,going to give it the old upstream test wednesday but already know it WANT GET THE STACK JUICE :mad: like that other stuff ,,enough said huh</b>

Fleet Washer

Some fleets clean up really easy. Today we worked our normal 8 hour day with myself and two helpers. We swept and sprayed out 26 trailers and then proceeded to wash 76 tractors and trailers scrubbing about 70% of them. We have been doing it awhile. When doing just washing a three man crew washes about 16-20 trucks an hour brushing. A two man crew one-stepping can do the same.

Later

Larry L.

<b><font color=red><marquee>..........................Hi fleet washer.................</b></f></marquee>

Our Sponsors