Grease Spill

MrClean

Your right. Just about everything that will saponify the grease is going to damage the surface of the asphalt.

Usually you would use a strong caustic type cleaner to saponify (turn the grease into soap) so that it may be rinsed from the surface. I make such a product for cleaning vents, flues and piping in kitchen exhaust systems. This process is just like our early settlers use to do with animal fat and lye in the big black pot over the fire. Unfortunately I can't help with the current spill but you may want to file this info in your memory banks for future reference. You may be able to find something local to solve the problem. You need a product that is at least 25% active caustic (either sodium or potassium hydroxide). Be careful with this type it is strong and can burn skin, so take the proper precautions to cover skin and protect eyes.

Once the grease has been totally saponified, it is simply soap. The main concern at that point is pH. The pH may have to be adjusted to meet local requirements and then simply disposed of down the local sewer. You may have to then repair the surface of the asphalt with the black pourable liquid surface repair that is available at most hardware stores. If the damage is more severe, then other methods may be indicated.

I hope this helps.
MrClean

Our Sponsors