Handling Hourly Workers

Lorin Grable

How does the multiple-worker mobile contractor 'handle' hourly workers? What I mean by 'handle' is the following:

Do you guaruntee them at least so many hours per week?

Do you pay them if they have to stop working due to heavy rain or lightening?

Do workers work as many hours per day in order to get the jobs completed and when they reach 40 hours, you either opt to pay for
overtime to get that particular job done for the day or send them home to keep from paying overtime?

Does anybody make employees fill out time cards (but not necessarily clock punching)?

Do you start their time when they reach the job site or if they have to come to the 'office' to pick up the wash equipment, when theyarrive at the office?

If workers go independently to a jobsite, do you give them any 'allowances' for having to drive for a long period of time (say over an
hour from their house)?

How do workers accept having to work at standard rates on a weekend, evenings, or night shift (given that they haven't exceeded
their 40 hours in a week).

ANY input would be appreciated.

Dave Olson

Hello Lorin,

>How does the multiple-worker mobile contractor 'handle' hourly workers? What I mean by 'handle' is the following:

>Do you guarantee them at least so many hours per week?

Yes, my crew leader gets 40 hours per week and a helper gets at least 20 hours.

>Do you pay them if they have to stop working due to heavy rain or lightening?

Yes, if we encounter delays they are paid regardless.

>Do workers work as many hours per day in order to get the jobs completed and when they reach 40 hours, you either opt to pay for overtime to get that particular job done for the day or send them home to keep from paying overtime?

We never stop a job because employees get overtime. Hopefully we have figured that into the charges to the customer.

>Does anybody make employees fill out time cards (but not necessarily clock >punching)?

Yes, we fill out daily worksheets that show hours worked for each employee.

>Do you start their time when they reach the job site or if they have to come to the 'office' to pick up the wash equipment, when they arrive at the office?

If they are driving company equipment to a job site, they are always paid. Depending on the job sometimes we pay for travel time for helpers. We always provide meals. Sometimes we even pay them to eat it!

>If workers go independently to a jobsite, do you give them any 'allowances' for having to drive for a long period of time (say over an hour from their house)?

Never have done this.

>How do workers accept having to work at standard rates on a weekend, evenings, >or night shift (given that they haven't exceeded their 40 hours in a week).

It is just part of the job!

Dave Olson, Tidy Powerwash Service, Inc. http://www.tps-inc.com

Scott Stone

I guarantee my full time guys 40 hours a week. It is just easier for me and makes them more loyal. They also know that if the job is not done right they have to go back and do it the way it should be done. If on the rare occasion OT is needed they get paid, period. It is better to get the job done than to have to wait. If my guys go independently to the job site, they go on their own time if it is their choice. We have a couple of jobs that they prefer this for. If I request it, they get paid mileage for the difference between their trip to the yard and their trip to the job. So if the yard is 3 miles and the job is 5 miles the get 2 miles. I have only had one problem with them accepting standard rates. He was mad because he had to work 39 hours one week instead of his normal 36. If they get hurt it is straight to the hospital. I don't care where, but it has to be taken care of. This is not for my workmens comp, it is for them. I don't have an employee manual because I only have 3 employees.

As for those that say that subcontracting employees is the way to go, I have a brother that lost a million dollar business doing that sort of stuff. The employees were even doing a lot of work out of their own homes. Don't think that you won't get caught, it is a matter of when.
wink.gif

------------------
Have you ever noticed that those driving slower than you are idiots, and those going faster are maniacs?

Just a guy driving around trying to make a living washing trucks, Wouldn't know a deck if it bit me in the hind quarters,

Originally posted by Scott Stone:
I guarantee my full time guys 40 hours a week. It is just easier for me and makes them more loyal. They also know that if the job is not done right they have to go back and do it the way it should be done. If on the rare occasion OT is needed they get paid, period. It is better to get the job done than to have to wait. If my guys go independently to the job site, they go on their own time if it is their choice. We have a couple of jobs that they prefer this for. If I request it, they get paid mileage for the difference between their trip to the yard and their trip to the job. So if the yard is 3 miles and the job is 5 miles the get 2 miles. I have only had one problem with them accepting standard rates. He was mad because he had to work 39 hours one week instead of his normal 36. If they get hurt it is straight to the hospital. I don't care where, but it has to be taken care of. This is not for my workmens comp, it is for them. I don't have an employee manual because I only have 3 employees.

As for those that say that subcontracting employees is the way to go, I have a brother that lost a million dollar business doing that sort of stuff. The employees were even doing a lot of work out of their own homes. Don't think that you won't get caught, it is a matter of when.
wink.gif

Great info guys, I think I'm going to like this bbs. New today 22 Feb.

------------------

tucker

Lorin,
I have considered putting employees on a percentage of the profit vs hourly. this would allow them to control the amount of money they make and they would be less likely to drag their heels doing a job. Another thought was if we sometimes give a discount to a customer for a referal why not give that amount to the employee if they sell another job? Haven't tried either of these yet but I may have to hire a couple of employees this summer, wouldn't that be nice? Also I will probably hire freshmen at a local college so that I will have them in the summer until they graduate.

Tucker

Our Sponsors