Engine Noise

Aplus

One of my cold water washers has an 11hp Honda engine. It seems to be developing a rod knock kind of sound. It is seven years old, and has literally thousands of hours on it. The question is this...is it cheaper to just replace the entire motor, or rebuild it? Is the rebuild a tough job? Any help would be great.

oguard

After 7 years and thousands of hours (sic) there may not be enough of the motor material to rebuild.

Overall, the unit has paid you to own it. With any luck and proper maintenance you will find a new unit to last as long.

I commend you on your long lived pressure washer; a testament as much to you as the manufacturer of the unit and components chosen.

I would suggest a new engine at least if not a complete new unit and keep this one for emergency back up.

Hope this helps? Cheers.

HI-Pressure

Is this pressure washer a direct drive unit. If it is remove the pump from the engine crankshaft and check for key wear. Alot of times it will destroy the pump shaft and the engine crankshaft. You can have a machine shop cut a new keyway in the crankshaft of the engine. This will make a knocking sound almost like a rod failing. If its a belt drive disregard.

Hi-Pressure

Aplus

It is a direct drive unit. So I guess the next question is... if I determine that it is the input shaft and crankshaft connection that is making noise, can I continue to use the unit, or will it rapidly self destruct?

I suppose I should just be glad that it has lasted as long as it has, and purchase another one, but heck, it's just human nature to not want to pony up another 1000+ bucks for another rig until I absolutely have to.

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
[horse]

"PONY UP" and get a new one! 11 HP Honda direct drive will run @ $1000 belt drive 13 HP around $1495,

Sounds like the old grey mare aint what she used to be send her to the glue factory and get a new pony!

At least that's my opinion. :) :)

11HP Direct Drive

Our Sponsors