Look at this

Dominic A

Hey everyone I have a question about oriental resturants. I got called to take a look at oriental resturant I looked at it it was horrible it was the dirtest system I have ever seen!!! I have never cleaned an oriental resturant because I have not been called to too many. There are only two with in a 200 mile area. Well I went to see it it was horrible greaase beyond belife. The owner said it had been two years scince the last cleaning. I was amazied that the fan still turned with all that build-up[getout] . Wow!!! well I told him I would call him back with a bid. I am unsure what to charge. My normal rate does not seem to fit this restuarant not even double. I am thinking of charging him an arm and one leg for reals!! I am sure you guys have ran into this a lot just wondering about your thoughts about this. It is a 10 foot hood with one fan.

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
In the past year or so in giving estimates I have stated that due to condition of the hood I will charge time and materiel. This would be at $90 per hour. I have put caps of 5 hours. I would say you could spend 4-6 hours.

Some jobs have hidden problem and or you are not able to view the complete system while the store is in service. This gives you a way to give them a honest price and still protecting your time. Some accounts try to hide things-like last service date, can't find the roof key and so on.

David

reonz

Hi Dominic

This is actually a cut and past off another thread called Time Estimates, But this is directly related to what you are talking about here.

After going through much dissapointment with rule of thumb pricing, I decided it was in my best interest to come up with a system that made sense to my customers, and made a profit for me. It looked like this:

equipment, chemicals and supplies...$110.00
labor (two man crew) $ 45.00 per hr.

If I estimated 5 hrs of work, that would be $335.00 from the customer. And I was out of there in 5 hrs.

When I first started in the business I would let customers control how much they would pay me, and the conditions were not always clear. If I agreed to do the job for lets say $300.00 I was kind of at the mercy of the customers idea of when the job was complete. Doing chinese restaurants, and after spending 6 or 8 hrs. I was sometimes invited back the next night to FINISH THE JOB. Was I taken advantage of? you bet.

After having situations like this happen to me more than once, actually a lot..hehe.. I decided I would not do this type of work if I could not make money doing it. Did I lose business to competition? Sure did. Did I care? Hell no. I was to busy making money on the customers that were willing to pay me for my professional service.

Those that wanted to pay me little as if I were some kid with a scraper in hand, and a lot of extra time, I simply waited till they where forced to use a professional service and then charged them heafty. Pay back is a bitch

Randy Bachman

reonz

This is also a cut and paste from the thread Time Estimates
but felt it was right in line of what you are talking about.

How long does it take to finish a job.. When you think of the function of the hood system, the answer could actually be that you are never really finished.

Most jobs I've done, there has always been areas that I wish I had more time to work on. And I would always inform the customer of these areas, and note for the next cleaning. Also, with in a few days of use, there would definitly be more grease going up into the system.

The idea of an "free estimate" is just a phrase. What it does is gets you in front of the customer to let him/her know that you are a professional service. You use the proper equipment, chemicals and supplies and you have the knowlege to use them.

It all boils down to how much your time is worth, and how much of your time the customer is willing to pay for.

Randy Bachman

Our Sponsors