55 gal drum, bigboy!

Power Clean

i read a few months ago from "bigboy" about using a valve stem and air pressure to pump (or push) fluid from a tank. honestly i chuckled and thought what a great idea.

well, about a month ago i was able to obtain two plastic 55 gallon drums made for transporting sodium hydroxide and so i finally went to work on this myself. whatya know, for about $5 a drum, i was able to assemble a great and sufficient pumping system. also, i just use a rechargeable air compressor you keep in a car. it does take a couple of minutes to get pressure, but after that, it takes about two minutes max top fill a 5 gal bucket.
so simple this was, i'm thinking of getting 2-3 more drums.

when i get my 15 gal containers for spraying chems, i may be doing the same thing with them with my little ole compressor.

for something so simple, this was prettty darn cool i thought.

roy

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
<b><font color=green>Try this if your wanting to use air in the 15 gal. tank.They make little bitty 12v aircompressors for the R.V.'s water psi,find one of those b/c it as a regulator to ajust your air psi and it can be plumbed to your powerwasher battery as in keeping your air psi buildt at altimes if need be.( if lucky you may find a R.V. junked out).I use on demand pumps for that now but did use the air,even had valve stems in the pumpups.
Dad was always having trouble with the 4 wheeler spayers until I riged it with the R.V. air,no more problems.
Don't think you'll find a cheaper way to push chemicals out of a drum and it will last and last and last,no more problems there either even when dealing with the raw chemicals as I do,,,things like this make me chuckle too.

ELLIS

PRESSURE DRUM TRICK.

I WOULD LIKE TO KNOW HOW THAT TRICK WORK? I THINK THAT IS A NEAT IDEAL. SO IF YOU COULD TELL ME HOW TO DO THAT I WILL BE GLAD TO SPEND 5 DOLLARS.

Power Clean

ellis,

after several trips to the hardware store trying to figure out what i needed it was very simple and quick to make. because i was using heavy duty plastic drums, i wasn't sure myself what would be best to use. i routed my air valve stem through one screw plug on top and routed the discharge pipe out of the other plug. i did this just in case i kinda messed up. plugs would be easier to replace!

if possible use all pvc piping. if you use what i used, you'll need starting from inside of your tank with the discharge side plug:

4ft of 3/4" pvc (cut to fit with 1" off the bottom)
1 coupler for your 3/4" with one end female threaded.
1 o-ring for your 3/4" - i used a garden hose washer, had to stretch it though!
1 coupler one male end, other end reduces to 1'2 to go through the plug (now your outside of tank).
1 ft of 1/2" pvc
1 of 1/2 plastic ball valve or check ball valve
2 of 1/2" 90's

on the valve stem plug i used:
1 - short valve stem the screw in type
1 - brass reducer for the valve stem to go through the plug
1 - plastic female end coupler for tighening the reducer to the plug
1 - o-ring for underneath the plug for the female coupler.

all done!

so basically you have 3/4" pipe inside the tank 1 inch from the bottom, through the plug, to a valve, then up with 1/2" pvc and then two 90's for a down spout, then use a piece of 3/4" garden hose or clear hose for your discharge hose.

if you use a rubber valve stem you would not have to buy anything but the stem. drill the hole and insert stem.

because i didn't know how much pressure was needed and i didn't know if the stem would seat well enough on the plastic, i decided to use something that i could screw on and know it was going to have a tight fit.

as it turned out, it doesn't take very much pressure at all to get the job done. if the rubber stem seats good, thats all you need.

hope this wasn't confusing. its really what ever you decide to use just use plastics with corrosives. it's much cheaper too.

it does work!!!!

good luck.,

roy

Power Clean

bigboy,

another good idea with the rv setup. guess i'll bug myself to death until i try that one. how much do those things costs. i have been thinking of having individual setups for deck work to reduce cleaning time and wasted chems etc. i could power those things with one battery pack from the back of the van and using long plastic hoses to reach the site.

anymore ideas to drive me nuts????

thanks,

Our Sponsors