Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Windows NT

• Linux

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Aplus

I use Win98 for my desktop, 2000 professional for my notebook, and 2000 server for my server. I'm a system admin during the day, so I guess I got it in my blood. It really doesn't matter what OS you use, as long as you can run the applications you need. For stability, I prefer Win 2000. I do not intend to upgrade to XP because I just don't like the interference that Microsquash is going to inflict. Yeah right, I'm going to call them every time I tweak my system and have a need to reload. I hope the Justice department busts their a**es but good!

Beth

Hi Tony,
I was thinking about moving from 98 to NT, but have not done so yet. Am using NT at work...(my other work) and 98 for our home office.

What are your thoughts on NT vs. 2000?

Beth

Aplus

Beth,

I would generally recommend that people move towards the 2000 environment. For one thing, it adds plug-and-play features, which are not present with NT. It is a slightly bigger resource hog, however, and requires more robust hardware. The learning curve going from NT is not that bad either, which is a concern for some.

Cases can be made to go either NT or 2000, so I guess every situation needs to be evaluated.

Not knowing specifically what your usage requirements are, I cannot make a broad statement to go either way. For example, certain games, and older software may not work on either NT or 2000.

I would truly recommend making an "image" of your hard drive first, using either Ghost, or Drive Image, in case your migration to a new OS does not work out as you anticipated. Then, you can always restore back to the way it was before.

I for one, have learned the hard way in the past, and won't make the same mistakes again.

Beth

Exactly. Have thought about adding a hard drive, then keeping it as 98, and making the new one NT or 2000.

Most everything we use could go ahead and move to 2000 though.... actually, it is the games I would have to check! lol

Of course it goes without saying that backing up your data is a must - databases and critical documents, etc. You don't have to copy the whole drive, but the data is a must.

Keep posting. Your input is great!

Beth

Aplus

A dual boot arrangement is always another thought. You could install both 98 & NT, and choose at boot time which OS you want.

But really, if 98 is serving your purposes well, then leave it alone, at least until you have a compelling reason to upgrade your OS.

That is exactly why my primary workstation is 98.

An old adage I learned....If it ain't broke, don't fix it!

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
Being a big fan of Easy Route, have placed that system on its own machine that is not hooked up to anything and is backed up each week(or so) on the 100 meg ZIP. Then I store the Zip at the bank in a safe deposit box. My other system is Windows 2000 and Quicken including the Handsring/Palm OS.

I like this system because all my account, billing, scheduling and other data is free of bugs-virus and whatever. I use a screen and printer switch.

If the Windows system takes a dive, I am thinking about going to a Mac G4-just because___________________________!

David

Last edited:

ParadiseProWash

I had Windows 98 up until lightning hit the house and fried the computer I cant stress this enough back up your system often. I now have a Compaq with Window ME. The lightning came in through the phone line and fried the old one. They said it came in through the ground wires took out the satilite all my phones and two computers. I thought I was safe having two but you never know.

Jon

Gee Morgan,

If lightining did that just think of the California combo package,

Earthquacks and Lightining !

that would be a real shakin light show.

Did you not have any surge protection and if so did they not do any good?

I believe most offer some sort of insurance coverage, I use APC surge and battery backups.

Supposedly if lightining hit and blew my computer up it would replace it up to $10,000.

Anyone ever placed a claim for stuff like this?

ParadiseProWash

Jon two weeks before the lightning hit I was having trouble with my phone lines and unplugged the phones from it however the electrical was still hooked up to one. I had not had time to replace the bar so I could not claim it. MY BAD. I had insurance but it was not 100 percent replacement oh well chalk that up as a learning experience i guess. :(

Our Sponsors