What type of PC do you use?

• Desktop

Votes: 24 85.7%
  • Laptop/Notebook

Votes: 4 14.3%

• Total voters

Mike Hughes

What type of computer do you use?

I use a notebook computer. Sometimes i bring it in my truck.......I have a power inverter so I can plug it in to the cig. lighter.

When in my office, I have the notebook computer hooked up to all of the components of my old desktop computer..........a real keyboard and mouse, 250MB Zip drive, 17" monitor. This setup allows me to use only one computer no matter where I am.........I don't have to worry about file transfers, etc.

I also run both monitors at the same time.........the laptop on the bottom and my old monitor above it.............you can drag windows from one screen to the other.

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1471628&a=11073115&p=38864684

Aplus

My office is actually in my home, and a small network suits me fine. For example, the kids all have their own machines, I have my own, the wife has hers, and we all share resources. I have two color printers attached, as well as a tractor-fed dot matrix printer that works great for printing mailing labels. Also, we can all share one cable fed internet connection, as well as sit comfortably behind a fairly secure fire wall.

Ronniels

Use a desktop at home and carry a laptop to and from the office. Just opened a new location and I'm building a desktop for that office. But will still use the tried and true laptop!

Power Clean

G***way 1.4 ghz, 47g hd, ??? memory, dvd, surround sound(its a killer), cd burner, other exp stuff inside, flat screen, *p lazer b/w printer, *p color printer, 24 pin dot matrix.

also wife has a m*cron setup, and daughter has compac.

i travel with a th*nkp*d.

Clean County

I use a desk top computer. I would like to purchase a lap top but if I did my wife would probably toss it out the window because I would probably bring it in bed along with my popcorn.

Glenn Clark

I use a laptop inside the office and in the field. I have a cool setup in my truck, I have the laptop coupled to a gps and a mapping program and NEVER get lost. I cover a wide area (Florida line to Louisana line) and the program I use has all public roads (except the very newest) and some private...Heck, It shows the pvt drive going to my house.

It is impressing when a customer ** miles away calls and when they ask if you need directions you can tell them you are familiar with the area and sometimes can tell them you know exactly where they are right down to the side of the road they are on.:D

P Austin

I currently use a Desk Top computer for all of my needs, but would like a laptop. My normal day job requires the use of a "Semi high end" Drawing program, so a laptop will not be a great idea without a large investment. I think when the dust settles from the selling of our home, and purchace of a new I will look for an older but usefull laptop for business purposes (We plan to start back into P.W. business hard and heavy in the spring.)

For those of you with boath (laptop and desktop, a docking station with a linking program could solve your problems of two sets of info in each computer.

My two cents

Paul Asutin
KNP Wash It
Designe2001@yahoo.com

Last edited:

Dave Olson

You young folks with good eyes can handle those laptops, screens are to small for me.

I'm using a 21" monitor with my desktop. It is a HP 1 GHz processor, 128 MB SDram, 80.0 GB hard drive, DVD, CD-RW. Does a great job.

Dave Olson

ServiceCEO

ServiceCEO Support
Have to use both

Unfortunately I am stuck in that netherworld of needing both the desk and laptops.

I too use a docking station so that the laptop is essentially another desktop, with the ability to take it away for trade shows, exhibits and inperson demo's etc..

Hey Glenn,

What company do you use for your GPS system? I have been looking for a good one, (as alot that I have researched, have old data and are unreliable) so that I can use their data in our program. Currently we are integrated into MicroSoft Mappoint which is decent enough for directions, but I would like the capability to have GPS systems in every truck so that our users could track the exact location for every one of their trucks, employees etc..

This hasn't been such an issue for power/pressure washers, but some of our other markets (pool & Spa, landscapers, plumbers) have been asking about it.

So if you are pleased with the GPS company let me know who they are so I can check out integrating them with our programs.

Thanks in advance

Our Sponsors