Server To Server

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Does anyone know of any software to transfer a web site to another server. I plan to move my powerwash.net site. I don't want to download to my computer then upload to a new server if I don't have too.

I heard of software that will transfer file/site server to server. Can't remember the name though.

Beth

All you have to do is FTP the files. You don't have to download then and then move them back up. If you have access to the location on the server where the files are stored, you can usually handle this either with features for FTP offered by the site host or ISP, or by getting a piece of 3rd party software that will let you point to the directory and then to the area you wish to move them to. Of course, all this is assuming you have access to the files. Typically that is password protected.

I always suggest a backup copy, but that's because if you don't have copies, anywhere, you should.

To get the freeware go to http://www.tucows.com

Beth
:)

Last edited:

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Thanks Beth,

I have ftp software but can't seem to figure it out. I know how to upload and download, computer to server and server to computer. I use cute ftp. I will look at it again tonight. I just haven't seen away to do sever to server.

Beth

I'm not sure that all of them have it, but it would not surprise me if some do. It makes sense to be able to transfer from server to server. Check and see if the option is available from the host. I use virtualave.net, and they have FTP options in the browser for the users.

Tony might know of an FTP product as well... I used to use Ipswitch's FTP product. I think it did, although I didn't use it.

Check the Help section ... maybe under define path or select path, choose path or define directory, something like that.

Beth
;)

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Thanks,

What you just said in the last post, my other host I want to change to said the same thing. He said to check if I can do it through my control panel on the server I want to switch from.

Aplus

The two FTP tools I am slightly familier with are CuteFTP, and a function within Hummingbird. I would think your new web hoster should provide you the support in migrating to the new host. That is what you pay the bucks for.

Our Sponsors