dos

Dan S

okay somebody explain dos to me and what does it do? i have never went into . dont even know how to get there........ what is the advantages if any are there in dos?

and what does it stand for?

Mike Hughes

Stands for Disk Operating System.

Since Windows, the average user has no need for using DOS.

Now, I'll let the computer folk take this over........

ParadiseProWash

I took Computer Programing in High School and it was dos back then thats all their was. I will tell you I like Windows operating and easy of use alot better. But as Jon and some others have said it is old faithful we never new what a crash was until we upgraded to Windows. My cousin wrote a program back in the 80's in dos and it controlled his whole house. He was an electrician and it would turn the lights on and off and turn the coffee pot on at a certain time and everything. Windows is actually a dos program however you never see it because Bill Gaites wants us all to let him worry about that hehe. Thats why he is the riches man on earth. :)

As stated here before I work for Sears Part Time on Sundays their whole computer system is still runing in Dos it turns the lights on and off the air conditiers on and off the fire alarms and everything runs in dos. That system does go down sometimes but it is because of so many people using it at once.

Aplus

As Mike stated, DOS indeed stands for Disk Operating System. Once upon a time, it was a stand-alone operating system, that provided the interface between the application software, and the physical hardware. Older applications that were written for DOS can be very stable, dependable systems.......as long as you don't introduce anything new, or change anything. It really doesn't matter too much now.

In Windows 95, DOS was still integrated pretty well. Win98 found still some support, but less tightly integrated. DOS is becoming an add-in component. A shell program, as they say.

Windows NT, and 2000, don't even include a true DOS anymore. It's merely a command interpretor, which simulates your expectations of a DOS experience.

Windows XP.....I don't know yet if there is a command interpretor planned for the final consumer release.

My advice would be to fondly remember DOS for what it once was, and let it go. It makes no sense to cling on to past technology that is no longer supported. Just like all good history lessons, learn from past mistakes and get better!

If you have more specific DOS related issues, just ask.

Jon

Aplus,

I my wife's computer I cannot let it go, we have to have the same setup as the Doctors and hospitals do.

Most of the Lawyers are quite up todate and I have a 3rd computer for that but most her work is Medical.

I have heard I can upgrade to Windows 98 2nd Edition and configure it to run Word Perfect as if it was running in DOS but not sure if I would do it and just how to do it for that matter.

Hey it ain't broke so why fix it?

Aplus

Jon,
True, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Words we can all live by. Let your wife continue on with what works until the time comes when change is inevitable.

Beth

And the change, will come...
Manufacturers can only support outdated fossilized (grinning) software for so long. Most manufacturers only go back a couple of versions in the 32 bit world, and aren't even in the 16 bit world or DOS any longer. There is no development or profit.

The slowest moving to the new technology I have come across as a software sales professional, are the legal and medical industries. The Govt. is a whole other animal, and they are just as bad.

Beth

Jon

I have already encounted some of that not made for DOS anymore stuff.

Biggest one being the most important, Virus Protection from Norton, and they told me there is no way I can even copy it from my computer to hers, even on disk.

Not really worried about new programs since none will be added to her computer. The other one we don't use is Windows 98 equiped but not hooked up to anything yet.

Once I figure out how to connect it to mine and/or the DSL and her monitor then I will probably do something.

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
Easy Route is a text based DOS program and I will challenge anyone to show me a faster and or a more reliable program. Just look around at doctors, vets, issuance companies. They use text based programs because they a stable and don't crash and are fast.

I don't want to become a data base designer, I just want to use a good reliable system. Text base/Dos is the key.

David

Aplus

Actually, the reason so many doctors and vets use the DOS based systems is that they don't want to spend extra dollars on a new system. Like I said, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. The time will come when upgrades will become inevitable, and they will have to spend the bucks for new systems, and, most expensively, new software. Plus, don't forget the learning curve that the staff will have to go thru. Training ain't cheap either.

David Saulque

Give me a name of a program that will give me just the same results as Easy Route.

With Doctors and Vets I don't think the issue is money-name a better program.

David

Beth

Depending on the desired application, and the market and need it is designed to address, there are many applications in the 32 bit world that will out perform the old dos systems. That's not to say that there is anything wrong with the dos systems, it's just saying that there are users, and I know I deal with them daily, who unitl it breaks and they come to their knees they will not go to a windows based system or shell out the money....period.

You want me to name a 32 bit medical application? I can do that. But to address what need? Is it for accounting? For HR? For document imaging? What? I can answer this, but you need to provide me with more intormation.

By the way, Easy Route Plus is not in question as far as I am concerned. I have looked around, and for the moment it seems to have a niche. That may be for a number of reasons....

So...Easy Route aside, toss me an example, and I'll name one or more 32 bit applications which may or may not be database driven.

Beth

p.s. Tony is right...training and installation aren't cheap. The product I sell has a minimum requirement of 2 days at 2K per day, and the client pays travel expenses for the tech to comt onsite. That is before you get to software, maintenance, or hardware...
Complex vertical specific applications are not inexpensive, and there is a vast difference between what you buy at CompUSA, and what is implemented by a developer to address a certain market. For what we all do as small businesses, Easy Route makes sense. It wouldn't for mid to large sized corporations.

David Saulque

All I am saying is look at the program and work with it. Many small and mid size companies use Easy Route and other Dos based programs. The point being that we have a affordable program that is stable. I have check on other programs and the cost of those program is in the $5000-$10, 000 range. I would say that those programs would not make a major change in my company.

I wish that I had just a part of the money that I have spent on new computer programs that make claims and fall short or they are so complicated that they implode on use and the thing winds up on the shelf. One example is ACT-sounds great if you know what you are doing.

I want to tell the time not build the clock. Easy Route does just that-until you try the program you will never understand.

David

Beth

I have considered looking at Easy Route, and actually went looking online for it....couldn't find it. Do you have a link?

As for ACT!, it is very robust. I use it, and also sold it many years ago. But if you don't need or want the features it offers, then you do ahe alternatives. It always boils down to:

user needs - necessary features vs. thinks they would like to have
price
ease of use and implementation
additional requirements in hardware

I would love a decent piece of mapping software that is database driven, and allows for synchronization. Still looking for it.

Beth

Aplus

I think the bottom line is this...If it works for you, then by all means stick with it. I'm not one to recommend change just for the sake of change itself. Heck, I hate having to take the time to learn using a new tool, when I was so familiar with the old one, but sometimes it is just the right thing to do. Short term pain often equals long term gain.

Consider this, look at all the improvements in chemicals and stains that have evolved over the past couple years. If you don't get with the program and use these new products, you'll soon be left behind by the folks who do. The difference is with chemical products, you can quickly see the results and and reap the benefits. The results are apparent and concrete. With computer software, fear of the unknown often clouds our ability to really give something a chance. It is more abstract, harder to quantify results. I have had so many users tell me they wonder how they got along with what they were using before.

It's just human nature.

David Saulque

Look, you see the types of operations we have-show me a product that can do better than Easy Route. That is all I am asking. We have spaceships that can go to distant stars, my concern is flying to LA. We are going in circles, of course I know we are now out of the Middle Ages and we are moving things around with rubber tires-what would fit our needs?

David

Aplus

Nobody is saying that Easyroute isn't good, or even the best. Questions about DOS were asked. Truthful and accurate responses were given. A discussion of any piece of software must include a list of pros & cons. These were provided by several people. Like it or not, DOS does not have a rosy future. That would be a pretty big con.

I went back, and re-read every posting in this thread, and not one bad thing was said about Easyroute.

Relax, it;s OK :)

Dan S

i am so confussed !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! what does all this have to do with icecream melting in my truck??????[pc] AAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!

i just kept reading untill i found the answer to my first question and then it snowballed.... so in other words i should'nt go to DOS? should i check it out ? what can it do for me? how do i get there? is hunting season here YET?

David Saulque

Easy Route is a example of a DOS program and some us use that program. To say DOS is outdated as a OS-then tell us what program would you suggest/ I have asked that several times. All we are doing is looking for is a solution-if the Bill Gates of the world have come up with a plug and play program just let us know.

David

Our Sponsors