A quick education in hoods....

Mike Hughes

I am considering taking the PWNA Boot camp on Kitchen Exhaust cleaning, just to see if it is something that I would be interested in pursuing. Offhand, it is not terribly appealing to me........but, I really need to build up some steady, year round work. Winters kill me here, revenue-wise.

So......anyone think thats a good idea?.........To use the PWNA show as a preview?

Bridget

Preview

Hi Mike,

One of our affiliates in Kalamazoo invited me to come along with him to one of his Hood cleanings. I too wondered what was involved. Boy was I impressed!!!

It was pretty awesome to see the system he had for getting in and out of there. It changed my mind on how I looked at hood cleaning for sure.

Do you have any washers in your area that would be willing to show you how they do them?

If not, I'm sure my friend Doug Friend (isn't that ironic) would be more than happy to have you come along with him. Hey you might even spot Elvis while your there in Kzoo.

Bridget

Dave Olson

Hi Mike,

I don't think there is a "Quick Education" for exhaust system cleaning. Don't think of it as just "Winter" type work, we do them all year round. It can be a problem for scheduling when you have a blend of day and night projects for the same workers!

I have had several fellows go with my crew to see how we do systems. Maybe you could find someone closer to you! If you can't your welcome to come over and learn what you can!

Suggest that you read the following publications before going out with a crew:
Phil Acklands Commercial Kitchen Exhaust Systems Manual, National Fire Protection Associations NFPA 96, and PWNA's OSHA Regulations for Kitchen Exhaust Cleaning.

Dave Olson

Mike Hughes

Originally posted by Dave Olson
I don't think there is a "Quick Education" for exhaust system cleaning.

You're absolutely right..........it was a bad choice of words.

As far as winter only, that was not my intention. But, it would help to have jobs to do when the weather turns and the residential dissapears. For some odd reason, the bills still come in.................. :p

Aplus

Mike,
You're absolutely right. I've been focusing on deck restoration and residential house washing for the past seven years. It's been a part time thing, and now it's gotten to the point where I have three part time workers, and myself for about 25 hours a week. I think I'm at the point I've been hoping for, being able to quit the full time job, and power wash full time.

However the seasonal work situation here in Michigan forces me to have to work thru the winter. I've been considering fleet washing, and/or hood cleaning.

I've decided that I need to learn about both, then do a couple, maybe with someone else, to see how it is. Both present year round, steady work.

I can see the advantages to choose an area of expertise, focus on it, and be the very best. Deck maintenance is at best, six months of work. Something else needs to be in the mix for stability. And like you say, the bills still keep coming.

Maybe the PWNA convention ain't a bad idea.

Mike Hughes

Tony,

With your backround, couldn't you just pick up a consulting job in the winter??

Beats washing trucks when its 32 degress........

Mike

Aplus

Well,
I suppose I could, but I just love being out, meeting people, going to different places everyday, and such. And the truth of the matter is, keeping abreast of emerging computer technologies, and certifications is very time intensive as well as very expensive. Much more so than washing and cleaning things.

Right now, in 'my' situation, I truly believe there is more opportunity in the power wash profession, than in the computer biz. This is the Motor City, not Silicon Valley. There are just too many guys that take the quickie courses, get the MCSE's (Microsoft certs) and hack everything up. (Doesn't that sound familiar?)

Besides, I've always kinda liked doing physical things, cold doesn't really bother me, and working outside is preferable over stuffy offices.

Plus, it's easier to explain a cleaning/restoring process to most folks, as opposed to working with brain dead people who can't/won't even try to understand emerging technologies.

aquapro

Kitchen cleaning is enjoyable to me!!

Mike

Sorry for being 4 monthes late to respond, but I will clean a vent a hood anyday before I will do a deck. Reasons why:
1. Better money
2. Your in and out
3. Bars, Taverns, restaurants.... people to see your trucks and to PR with about what you do.
4. Not many stuck-up rich asses.
5. Free cocktails afterwards, MAYBE on some occations.

and many more.

I learned from David Olson and owe him my greatest respect. Your welcome to call me anytime and I can walk you through a process (one I know).

I just washed two hood last night, kind oof cold.

John Moller
AquaPro Powerwashing
www.aquaprocleaning.com
217-224-9274
217-242-5469

BryanL

Hey mike, I can get as close to you a Baltimore, if you would be interested in watching a job done you are welcome.

Merry Christmas
Bryan

Ronniels

Hey guys, I am also looking into getting into hood cleaning.
Have ordered the NFPA 96 and have been reading and learning as much as possible form the net.
But feel that as opposed to decks and roofs, hood cleaning is something that I'd be better off learning from a pro rather than self-taught hit & miss. (Safety if nothing else!!)
Does anyone know of a hood cleaning video and would anyone like some free labor for a couple of jobs?

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
Ronniels

Fly out to California and we will train you just for the labor and a Dinner. Stay as long as you want.

David

Ronniels

David,
I am going to take your offer. Just gotta work out how and when to get away from here for a few days.
I do beleive it's better to learn from someone on the job than just a classroom. More likely to have questions come up.

Still am going to get all the manuals and tapes also.

Thanks!

Ronnie

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
You send me your address and I will send you the manual-you don't need the tapes. Take a look at the manual and give me two week to get things in line.

David

916-663-3033

Our Sponsors