internet explorer 6

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
<b><font color=green>If your running internet explorer 6,is it working ok.I've been wanting to download it,but it says the most experence only should download it,dat left me out,,so hows it running,should a dummy like me download it?

Attachments

• face7.gif
    face7.gif
    1.1 KB · Views: 76

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Hey john,

That said that because it was a beta, which really means nothing. I believe the final is out now. I have a beta version I think and have no problems with it at all. I would go for it. The final is really good I heard. Loads pages fast.

Try this link IE 6

The bbs has been slow on and off as of late. So don't use that as a guide. I am working with my hosting company to resolve the slow downs.

Let me know everyone if you have any trouble loading the bbs

Jon

Y'all ain't no dummy bigboy, a little slow learnin maybe but no dummy.

SO what do you get in IE 6 that I don't have in IE 5.51?

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
It is a completely different look, You can still use 5.5 and or 6/ I had the beta and it work fine. I just down loaded the final version and it is really smooth. You also get Outlook Express 6.0

The look is a lot like the MSN stuff. It looks real nice. Downloaded it and let me know what you think. If you don't like it. Get rid of it or don't use it. It has a side navigation bar with a search feature, calendar, my communities, my photos and setting. Which I think is all customizable. The top has home, email, favorites, online buddies, people & chat, money, shopping and music links.

The side navigation bar can be minimized which I do often. It takes up to much of the screen. Also at the top of the nav bar it has my town weather. Check it out. I use both this and the 5.5

The bad, I use msn for my online service. Since I started using 6.0 a few months ago I get knock off line if I am not active. Sometime while I am reading or writing. That ticks me off. If you don't have MSN it wont effect you. I like to leave my connection on all the time. I have yet to figure out how to disable this.

I have read AND HEARD FROM USERS THAT 6.0 IS THE MOST STABLE AND FEATURE PACKED BROWSER ON THE NET. it IS FAST WITH LOADING AND VERY SMOOTH. so FAR I AGREE. Sorry about the upper case. I hit the caps button and I am to tired to change the line above.

Aplus

The one downside I have heard is that IE 6.0 is a space hog, like most new MIcrosoft Products. So if you are tight for diskspace, you may want to evaluate.

Jon

Dan F.

I might D/L it and try it but as you mention if I don't like it get ride of it SO explain how I am going to D/L it without it automatically upgrading IE 5.5?

Yes I have heard many times you can install programs in another directory and if installing from CD that option is there, but from a download?

I don't want to install Outlook Express, just got Outlook 2002 which I can say does not function as it should with Windows 98 SE.

They say it is compatibale but it does have its problems and I sometimes which I did not buy it. Oh well someday I will figure out how to fix it without upgrading Windows.

Larry L.

<b><font color=green>Dan I downloaded it that night and will agree with you,its alot better than 5.5,even outlook has new stuff,which I like also.I like the new stuff explorer has too,like it fits the picture to your screen if its to big and the button to make it bigger plus that other button that pops up when your mice goes across it.

Side bar?...do you mean you have both top and side....I can put my top bar to the side but I didn't get it with the download.

yel,I like 6 want go back to 5.5 if I can keep from it,also like the new color the e has.</b></f>

Beth

Tony, can you confirm something for me? If you download IE6 and are using MS OUTLOOK (not Express) will it create any problems? It was my understanding that the changes will cuase your OUTLOOK that is installed on your PC to no longer work, and all email will be routed through the browser.

I for one would like to know, but also I think the users need to know before downloading a browser that may create a problem they don't want.

Beth

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Great point Beth,

I will try to find out. I use express and or through IE 6. I think if you go through the browser you have to import before anything happens. Basically I did the import of addresses and use through the browsers for a hotmail account I have.

Express is still my main mail client. I used to have Outlook but during a upgrade lost it. My brother has the cd and I never had a chance to reinstall it. So I don't know. But if I would have to guess I would say it wouldn't take over something as import as that. The through the browser way is a very basic email client, less options than a hotmail or yahoo account. But it is convenient for web base mail at a click of a button.

Also if it didn't take over express I don't think it would take over outlook. But like you said, do your reasch before you try it.

Jon

Dan F.

I too would like to know and more so since I recently upgraded to Outlook 2002 and did away with Outlook Express.

I wanted a more powerful program that would handle more then Express could and I used Outlook 98 as my address book.

If it messes it up I would not be inclined to upgrade again.

You did mention we could try it and if we did not like it to delete it, I assume it gives me the option to install it in a different directory rather then overwriting and upgrading IE 5.5?

Beth

Ummm....I read this as a problem for any user who upgrades to IE 6 if they are using Outlook.
See below....I'll look for more pages to post.
Beth
======================
The information in this article applies to:

Microsoft Outlook 2002

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
NOTE: If you install and run MSN Explorer version 6, your MSN, the Microsoft Network, Post Office Protocol version 3 (POP3) e-mail account is migrated to an MSN Hotmail account. If you have Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express configured for POP3, you will no longer receive your new MSN messages.
For additional information about what to do when Outlook does not receive MSN e-mail messages, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q268732 Outlook Does Not Receive MSN E-mail Messages
To view a Microsoft Support WebCast about what to do if you cannot receive your MSN messages in Outlook or Outlook Express, visit the following Microsoft Web site:

MSN Support WebCast

For information about differences between Microsoft Outlook and Microsoft Outlook Express e-mail clients, click the article number below to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

Q257824 OL2000: Differences Between Outlook and Outlook Express

SUMMARY
This article describes how to configure Microsoft Outlook to send and receive e-mail using MSN, The Microsoft Network, version 2.5.

MORE INFORMATION
Use the following steps to configure Outlook after you install MSN with a POP3 e-mail server:

Start Outlook.

On the Tools menu, click E-mail Accounts.

Click Add a New e-mail account, and then click Next.

Select POP3 and then click Next

In the Your Name field under the User Information section, type the name that you would like to have appear on all messages that you send.

In the E-mail Address field, type the address that MSN has provided you with.

Your e-mail address usually takes the form of a combination of your first and last name, and the name of your Internet service provider (ISP), separated by the at (@) sign.

For example, John Doe uses MSN. In this case, MSN may assign an e-mail address of johnd@msn.com

In the User Name field under the Logon Information section, type your POP3 account name.

This information is your Internet Mail Server account name. In some cases the account name may be that part of the e-mail address to the left of the at (@) sign.

Select the Check the Remember Password option, and then type your password in the Password field.

The password is your key to your e-mail server. Generally, you define your own password. MSN may have assigned an initial password; however, you should change it as soon as possible.

MSN requires Secure Password Authentication (SPA). Click to select Log on using Secure Password Authentication.

In the Incoming Mail Server (POP3) field under the Server Information section, type the incoming mail server name. The following is the incoming mail server name for MSN:

pop3.email.msn.com
In the Outgoing Mail Server (SMTP) field, type the outgoing mail server name. The following is the outgoing mail server name for MSN:
smtp.email.msn.com
NOTE: All server and address entries are typed in lowercase.

Click the More Settings button, and then click the Outgoing Server tab.

Click to select the My Outgoing(SMTP) server requires authentication check box.

Click Use same settings as my incoming mail server.

On the Connection tab, click to select the method that you will use to send and receive messages from the following list:

Connect Using My Local Area Network (LAN):

If you access the Internet through your existing network connection, click Connect using my local area network. Your network configuration must support access to the Internet. Some networks use proxies and firewalls to control Internet access. Please see your network administrator for more details.

If you select Connect via modem when Outlook is offline, Outlook will use the modem to connect to your mail server when the LAN connection is not available.
Connect Using My Phone Line: If you use your telephone line and modem connection to access your messages, click Connect using my phone line. Type the number for your local MSN connection.

For more detailed information about how to configure Dial-Up Networking in Microsoft Windows 95 and Microsoft Windows 98, please refer to the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:

How to Connect to the Internet in Windows 95/98
Connect using Internet Explorer's or a 3rd party dialer:

If you want to use a previously established connection, click Connect using Internet Explorer's or a 3rd party dialer. This setting specifies that the dialer information from Microsoft Internet Explorer or a third-party dialer is to be used to connect to the e-mail server.
Click OK, click Next, and then click Finish.

For information about how to set up Outlook as the default e-mail client, please see the following article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
Configuring Outlook as Default E-mail Client for MSN 2.5

Beth

This looks like how you would try to fix it, if I'm too late and you did it and it got changed....
=====================================
Visit http://supportservices.msn.com/us/help.asp and click the "Can I convert my Web-based e-mail back to POP3 e-mail?" link.

If you reset your account to POP3 e-mail, you won't be able to access any MSN Explorer e-mail messages you have stored in the on My Computer folders in your MSN Explorer folder list. To prevent this from happening, move these messages back to the Inbox folder under on MSN before using this POP3 reset tool.

To move messages stored in the on My Computer folders back to your Inbox

On the MSN Explorer navigation bar click E-mail.
Note: If you do not see your e-mail folder list to the left of the screen, click the Show Folders button.

Under on My Computer, click the folder name that you want to move messages from.

Select the box next to the messages you want to move.
Note: Any messages that you do not select will be deleted once you convert your e-mail to POP3.

Click the Put in Folder button.

Under on MSN, select the Inbox folder to move the messages to.
This will move the messages to the Inbox folder. You will still have access these messages after you convert your e-mail to POP3.

Repeat these instructions for any other folders under on My Computer that contain messages that you want to save from before converting to POP3 e-mail.

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Nice info Beth,

Hey don't take my word for it. I just pass on what I think from what I have done. You need to look into it. To tell you the truth. Ever since I downloaded it, outlook express six has been buggy.

It freezes up and the browser is getting on my nerves. With that goofy side bar and msn obviously put something on my computer to kick me off the net at will. I use to be able to stay on with out getting kick off ever. Time for Road Runner cable modem.

I would love outlook 2002, I have to find a friend with it, so I can break the copy right laws :(

I had 98 I think, and like I said my brother has the copy in IL.

Larry L.

<b><font color=green>Mine is running great,no problems no where yet.Mail box is full and I'm sending,still like 6 better than 5.5.

Aplus

Beth,
After reading your post about the IE 6.0 upgrade, it indicates that only users of MSN service will have a problem with email. If you're not using MSN, then there should be no problem upgrading.

I've noticed with IE version 5 upgrades, that outlook express icons may be created, but the main outlook icon and settings on your desktop will remain intact, and continue to function correctly.

Of course that doesn't mean that the 6.0 upgrade will behave the same way as past upgrades. I view Outlook Express and Outlook as two different email packages made by the same vendor. One is a "lite" version, decontented, that is thrown in with the browser as a little teaser, something to entice you to pay for the full version, big brother Outlook. They do not compete against each other. One is targeted at more advanced users.

My gut feeling is that installing IE 6.0 is not going to wreck Outlook email settings, or functionality. I could be wrong, but I've seen how Microsoft has operated in the past, and see no reason they would change. OK, hold down the laughter.

Given the wide range or hardware available, and countless software combinations, it should be understood that ANY upgrade process has the potential to cause conflicts on your system. It is not uncommon for upgrades to get started, and crash in the middle causing a wide range of problems. It is not anyones particular fault, (not even Microsoft) it is more that all workstation combinations can never be properly tested. YOU.... are expected to understand the risk and be willing to be your own diagnostic technician if the process fails. If you are not willing to accept the risks involved, or not up to the task, then you should take it to a qualified computer shop for the service.

Sounds harsh, but it's reality. Software still is far from perfect.

Beth

Thanks Tony!

And..... I do use MSN....

I also tend to not upgrade as soon as software is released. I have been around it long enough to know that if you wait a few months, even weeks, there will be a service pack or two....to fix the initial bugs reported by those users who just can't wait and don't mind the headache.

Beth
;)

Aplus

Good thinking Beth,

All the software vendors keep rushing new versions of their products that they hail as the best new thing, this, that, gotta have. But in reality it's just business, keeping products rolling merely for revenue, not really that the product it is replacing is bad. Like you mentioned regarding the service packs.... if the new product was so good, and well tested, why does it need service packs and updates? In the good old years gone by, s/w was expected to work out of the box. That is rarely the case anymore.

As I've said before: "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" In other words, if the browser, or for that matter, any s/w you are using, meets your needs, than leave it alone.

Larry L.

<b><font color=green>Did you'll not know explorer 6 has been out for awhile,they where asking only the more smarter people to download it and for us rednecks not to as to get all the bugs or most all the bugs out of it.I found it the other night and it didn't say for smart people only,now us rednecks could dowload it.Its running great,I like it,although I haven't seen the side bar Dan is talking about,guess when I downloaded 6 it I didn't pick it,which I don't want anyway.</b></f>

Beth

Gee Tony,
Maybe it comes from having worked for a reseller and two software developers....lol....

Upgrades, service packs, minor releases, major upgrades, updates, there are so many names for what they put out anymore, and the lines blur with each new release. If it is a major upgrade it should have major new functionality added, but these days, you're lucky if you get a couple of new features.

Oh, yeah, and something else that used to work? Well, it will break somewhere else...... OR they will remove it ...

Beth

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
You know what I think I have it confused with MSN Explorer Not IE6. I did down load IE6 but have MSN Explorer too. I don't recommend it. It is nice a t first then gets to be a pain. You can find it at MSN.com

Our Sponsors