Low oil warning malfunction

Glenn Clark

Heres another one.

I was having trouble with one of my mocheens shutting down.

The first thing I checked the first time it happened was of course the oil level wich was fine. Sometimes It would run for hours then would cut off after just a couple of minutes other times. I finally got fed-up with it after I had to climb down from a two story house to re-start it and I unplugged the 'low oil warning' system...It hasn't shut itself down since.

My question is...Is the low warning system adjustable? Repairable? Or just replace the !@#$ thing.

I like the idea of having a backup warning system but I never rely on it to the point that I wouldn't check the oil...I check the oil in my systems daily (sometimes more).

I had planned on pulling the sensor out when I had some spare time and 'see what makes it tic'.

ps It is a Honda 9HP.

H

Hotwaterwizard

If it is a Honda It is a float system and dirty oil will make it stick. I know you check your oil but when was the last time you changed it? The Honda is inside of the engine and I would Reccomend you take it to the shop. There are timing marks on the gears inside of the engine that must be put back perfectly or your engine will not run.

If it is a Vanguard or a Kohler, There is a sensor that you can Unscrew and replace easy. It senses the oil pressure instead of the oil level like the Honda does.

Attachments

• wizard hat.gif
    wizard hat.gif
    908 bytes · Views: 75

Glenn Clark

I just changed the oil in it yesterday...it didn't look or smell dirty. Probably only had around 20 hrs run time on it...

I will re-attach the sensor and test it with the new oil.

Thanks.:)

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
For What It Is Worth!

I have seen more low oil shutdown sensor failures with Honda engines than kohler or Vanguard. And as Murphy's Law would have the engine with the highest low oil shut down sensor failure is the hardest to change and the most expensive!

Go figure!

P.S. I have been informed by my Kohler engine Rep that Kohler has an optional accessory that disables the low oil pressure switch for about 10-30 seconds on start up, this allows for faster start up on Kohler engines, as without this the starter has to spin the engine until oil pressure builds up enough to activate the oil presure switch which then provides power to the ignition system.

I should soon have these available on my website!

Glenn Clark

Idle Down

What about these 'idle down' systems I see for the 11 & 13 HP Honda's...anyone use them...
If so, are they worth the money?:cool:

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
THEY WORK GREAT!

The idle down during bypass option is great for cold water units, we usually set up 11 & 13 HP Honda units that are being used commercially with them.

Our Sponsors