strange noise

Jon

Computer geeks, come on now you do know more then I do or you would not be able to helps us all here.

Ok something strange is happening on my computer and I do not have a virus, I run that a couple times a week.

There is a sound like someone beeping a car horn, it does it twice and then is quite for awhile, then beep beep again.

Running Windows 98 SE.

Anyone have any idea why it makes that beep beep sound?

At first I thought it was when I got mail, but nope not the reason.

It happens with or without Yahoo and AIM chat open so that is not the cause of this noise either.

HELP.

Beth

Jon,
The next time you hear it, look at the lights for the drives you have for hard dirves, floppies and cd's. If there are lights flashing, which drive? Need more info....

Beth

Jon

Beth,

Hard drive light does not work, last time I used the company I upgraded with knows how to mess up.

Four times I took the computer back, four times the fix one problem and another crops up.

I won't go back to them again, heck they even crashed my hard drive the second time, lucky for me they had copied everything onto a spare drive they had.

Is there some simple way to see why my little red hard drive light does not go on, perhaps it is simply not connected?

Yeah I know I need to trach the wires, problem is the light is between the outside and inside walls of the computer so how am I to know which wire it is?

One more thing, it happens to fast for me to hear it and look at the computer but I will try and do that for you.

Aplus

When a system boots up, it goes thru a post up process initiated by the BIOS. Without getting into sticky details, the beeps generated at startup, thru the pc speaker, indicate various system conditions. Two beeps, usually is normal. Additional beeps, usually indicate an internal hardware problem. It is hard to diagnose this via email. Pay close attention to the boot up process, where the memory counts down, and system hardware is listed. Look for error messages.

If the beeping is coming when Windows is actually starting, it could be that a startup sound was associated. To check this, go into the following:

Start > Settings > Control Panel > Sounds&Multimedia. Locate Start Windows. If there is a litlle speaker to the right of it, then there is a sound associated with startup. Highlight the Start Windows dialog, look slightly down, and to the right, and you will see a black forward arrow, which you can click to play the sound. If if plays your beep beep, you've found your problem. Just remove the sound.

I don't know if this will help, but it is a starting place.

Jon

Stranger things have happened but I think I found what makes that noise, every time I run my cursor over the name Earthlink it makes that little vw beep beep noise.

Guess they put something in to cause it, now to get it out or I will be driven crazier then I am.

Our Sponsors