Wands?

Dominic A

I was just wondering what length of wands you use? I have several diffrent sizes. Also do you use a dual lance wand or do you change tips during cleaning? I would just like to know. Thanks for any and all input

Dave Olson

Hello Dominic,

We have all of our wands and tips set up with quick couplers. We can put the nozzle directly in our ballvalve or on the end of a wand.

tps-wandstor.jpg

This picture shows our storage area under the floor our our main unit.

We carry 2,4,6,8,10 foot wands on both our trucks.

Dave Olson

Dominic A

I thank you for your reply. Do you by chance use one of those flexible wands? I have been thinking of buying one. To reach in hard to get places. I don't know just one of those ideas running through my head. I also have my wands set up in quick couplers so everything is easy to change and faster. I was just thinking the varible(sp) pressure wand would also make cleaning faster. What are your thoughts about this?

Dave Olson

Several years ago when the flexable wand came out we tried it! Did not work for us!

We use 45 degree street ells on some of our tips. This allows you to go part of the way around corners.

Dave Olson

Richard

Dominic
we use a couple diffrent size wands 2 4 and 6 foot , we use some with a 45 and also with a 135 degree bend ( like the bend in a shower) we use it when were cleaning the grease trough
we do have dual lances some of our techs like em we also us just the trigger handle with a tip in it it takes all kinds of combo's to get the job done and it all depends on what works best for you in a particular situation

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
Has anyone built their own lances out of 1/4 gal. pipe? Makes sense to me because of the type of chemicals we use.

Thanks

David

MBryan

Thats a good idea Dave. I woner if anyone would sell the molded grips that go over the pipe. You could make any size you want and always have plenty on hand.

Matt

Douglas Hicks

David, I assume you mean 1/4 galvanized pipe, not 1/4 gallon pipe. Before I changed to dual lance, I did make my own lances and covered them w/heater hose for insulation. I prefer the dual lance. I also have straight nozzles, 45 degree nozzles, & kick-back nozzles ( used for the vertical part of the plenum you cannot see). You an make the different angles you want w/45 and 90 degree fittings from the parts house.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon Inc

Dave Olson

We have always made our own wands. A couple of months ago one of the vendors had some 4 footers on sale, so I got them. So far so good. They are stainless.

We have used 1/4" galvanized pipe and wrapped them with heater hose to insulate them. We have also used PVC pipe on the outside of our longer wands (10 footers). Stiffens them up. We had a project awhile back cleaning the interior of 700 grain hopper rail cars. We used ten footers for this project. We also use 10 footers to clean under truck platform scales.

Dave Olson

Douglas Hicks

Screw a couple of 45 degree elbows together on the end of a wand, put in a nozzle and turn it on, quickly. then you will find out why I call it a "kick back nozzle". I use to clean the front inner panel of a hood & the fire system piping and conduit. It also works on the grease gutter some hoods have at the front edge.
Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
My 2 Cents!

We commonly will have customers request a bend at the
outlet side of their wand, since most manufacturers use either
stainless steel or zinc plated tubing for wands they are pretty
easy to put a bend in them. Typically I will bend it in front of customer,
and they can say when it is enough of a bend.

Their are vented grips available for wands / pipe. I think a major
advantage to the typical wands verses galvanized pipe is that the
wands are usually 1/3 of the weight of pipe.

Richard

Ive always bent (45deg) ours in a vice

Dave ilike the idea of a heater hose I never thought of that

simplicity is genius

Our Sponsors