Kohler Engine Question

gull maint>

I've noticed a few ppl have kohlers out there here goes

I ordered a 25 hp almost a year ago slapped a pump on it ran a pos(+) line to the starter from my marine deep cell battery(on my trailer) and a neg(-) line,off the battery to one of the bolts that hold down the motor. My marine battery is charged from my vehicle thru the tow light connections(as it was used for accessories shurflo etc).Everything worked great for a few months then the battery died. Now I have some questions.
Does the Kohler engine charge the battery?

Do I need a rectifier or something to stop the charge when the battery reaches full charge?

I'm not sure if you need to know this but I ran a small pump off the yellow line(lamp coil or something)to supply my pump as it uses 8gpm and I wasn't satisfied with the gravity feed.

I was told that the engine(kohler) would re-charge the battery and that the line feeds both ways. I don't buy this but then again I don't really know. If it does and keeps up perhaps I just need to disconnect my vehicle feed.And yes if anyone was wondering I do have a device that keeps the charge only going one way so I can't damage my truck battery.

Any help is greatly appreciated

John
Gull Maintenance Corp Naples Florida

Jon

You can always call a Kohler dealer and ask but I am sure Mark or John can help you too.

Last edited:
H

Hotwaterwizard

Here is a link for you.
Kohler Command 25 hp
command1.jpg

oguard

Most of the industrial Kolher engines have a high amp charging system that a rectifier controls.

However, deep cycle marine batteries (or any other deep cycle battery) are NOT designed to be continuously trickle charged. They last longest when they are completely discharged then recharged properly.

In most every case the largest automotive 12 V battery you can fit in the space will work best for you.

For further information contact Dale or any of the other guys at Pressure Pro 561-461-4486; they will be able to answer your questions.

gull maint>

Hey people

Thanks alot, again.Your help is much appreciated.

Oguard that makes sense and I didn't know that.Seems my expert in the sporting department at Walmart wasn't an expert after all LOL!

Thanks again People

I'd like to help more people if I can,but you guys are just too smart for me! LOL

H

Hotwaterwizard

Originally posted by oguard
Most of the industrial Kolher engines have a high amp charging system that a rectifier controls.

However, deep cycle marine batteries (or any other deep cycle battery) are NOT designed to be continuously trickle charged. They last longest when they are completely discharged then recharged properly.

In most every case the largest automotive 12 V battery you can fit in the space will work best for you.

For further information contact Dale or any of the other guys at Pressure Pro 561-461-4486; they will be able to answer your questions.
Most of the Pressure washer manufactures plainly write in their owners manuals to use deep cell batteries. Are you saying they are all wrong and you are alone right?

oguard

Not saying that we are right and they are wrong it is just that as I stated deep cycle batteries are designed to be fully discharged and their life cycle is negatively affected by constant trickle charging.

In our manual we do not state other than to use a 12 V battery and when queried we always suggest the largest 12 V that will fit the available space.

Also NEVER, repeat NEVER get a 12 V system without a battery. The battery acts like a heat sink to moderate the voltage supplied to igniter/transformer and is definitely NOT endorsed by Beckett at the least.

Besides deep cycle batteries are usually more expensive than automotive type batteries so why argue over saving some bucks?

Cheers.

H

Hotwaterwizard

Then a Deep Cycle Battery is nothing more than a large Nicad battery? They perform best when they are fully discharged as well.

Our Sponsors