anti freeze ?

Barry Loy

Hey Wiz,
Any anti freeze ( RV anti freeze ) that I run through the pump, can it also be kept inside the pressure hose as well ?
Barry Loy

Dominic A

You bet!! Thats what we do. We run anti-freeze through out the whole system and when it starts to come out of the hose we are done and cap it. Thats what we do hope it helps.

H

Hotwaterwizard

Sure just watch the spillage! Many dogs and cats have died from ingesting that stuff.

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Great Point Wiz,

Also I failed to do that one year and I lost 300 feet of hose. Now that I'm in Texas I don't have to worry about that. :cool:

HarQuin

We use Sierra antifreeze. Its propylene glycol based. Its safer then ethylene glycol. I still watch for spillage etc., I think I give 7-8 bucks a gallon for it by the case. I use it in everything. I have too many dogs running around to take a chance.

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Also you can reuse the stuff. Just suck it up and when you drain it. Drain it into a container for later use.

Dominic A

I use RV anti-freeze. Which I buy at Wal-Mart for $3.50 for a gallon and a half. Thats the way they sell it. It is pink in color so it is easier to see at night and it protects to -50 below zero. It is also 100% safe, non-toxic. I found this last year and have been useing it since. I just wanted to let you know there is a safer thing out there. And it is cheaper then regular anti-freeze. :p

Dominic A

The RV anti-freeze I use says not to dilute it. But hey there are tons of diffrent kinds out there could just be the brand I use. I don't rememberthe exact name of it. But like I said Wal-Mart carries it. Its in the automotive area. I agree it is best if you reuse it. I run it all out into a 5 gallon bucket then reuse it. I do lose some in the process, but I would say I go through about 5-6 gallons a winter.

RJTravel

RV antifreeze is pre-diluted, whereas auto antifreeze is undiluted and one should use 50/50 mix, thus is less costly. After a few 'captures' and re-use we then use straight antifreeze to bring the mix back to approx 50/50. I like the non-toxic aspect with one exception. Recently I got the scare of my life when feral 'Turner & Hooch' type beast appeared near the alley dumpster area in a really bad part of the city. He growled at me and I took the hint. I would want to reserve some of the toxic antifreeze for just such a situation! Richard

ghouchu

is anti freeze used only for hot water washers or cold as well? how do you get it into the pump, etc? i've got the excel 3500psi, 4gpm, 13 hp model, if that matters.

thanks

richard

Dominic A

I am sure anti-freeze would be great for any machine that is going to face teh elements of winter. I don't know how yours is set up I just put mine in the float tanks, start it up and away we go until it comes out of the hose. Then i cap it and i am done.

ghouchu

how do i get anti-freeze in?

my excel 3500psi, 4 gpm, 13 hp washer is basically the strongest that home depot and that ilk have to offer, but it does not seem very sophisticated. only way i know of to run fluid into it is with a hose on a faucet. need to know asap, because it's supposed to hit 25 degrees here tonight(Tuesday).

if i don't hear anything by the time the temperature starts dropping, i'll call devilbis to see what they have to allow.

thanks

richard

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Richard,the easy and fastest way of me telling ya would be " you know the hose you have hooked to the faucet that runs to your pw,will from the washer cut about 4 or 5 foot off,leave it attached to the washer drop it in a 5 gal. bucket of mixed antifreeze start your washer and wait until you see it coming out the end of the powerwash psi hose and turn washer off,,,if you can read between the lines you have a pressure washer thats ok to store on the north pole ifen you made your anty freeze strong enuff.

Sometimes its the only way a taitor can get the point across is to try to keep dat evil from freezen everybody's washer.

Last edited:

RJTravel

Bigboy,
Thanks for your post, but it is non-responsive to my observations. Probably you intended to answer 'ghouchu'. Your method of cutting off the supply hose and sticking it in a bucket (pretty funny!) actually would work in some applications, but would be ill-advised for others. For instance, if you had my direct-drive p/w you would soon be looking for some other line of work. The direct-drive, unlike a belt driven unit, turns so fast the valves do not have time to 'suck' from a supply. Gotta pour it in with a funnel. Secondly, mixing your anti-freeze "strong enough" can easily be carried too far. Pure auto anti-freeze will freeze. I am sure you know all of this but 'ghouchu' sounds like a newbie and may benefit from these observations.
Richard

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
Yes,but at the bottom of 'ghouchu' post it had richard,,most sign off with their real name I didn't realize he may have been thanking ya,dum ass me.

Why not put a fitting in the 5 gal. bucket at the bottom set it higher than powerwasher and do away with the funnel,,,,,,,,,yes it will freeze but but but but at what temp is dat please.

HarQuin

If you T the inlet on the direct drive with ball valves with the upper going to the antifreeze tank above the power washer and the lower going to your water source, there should not be a problem. You can close/open at the same time, then disconnect your garden hose and drain. This worked for me before going to the belt drive. That way everything from pump to wand is protected easily. I never funneled the antifreeze but seems to me that would be quite time consuming.

Harlyn

oguard

Here in Canada we use windshield washer anti-freeze.

At $1.89 Canadian for a gallon that works out to ~ $1.10 American.

We have access to stuff rated to -40 degrees and run it through our pumps (coils, if applicable) and hose. Just place a short length of garden hose in the jug the other end to the pump inlet. Turn the unit on until you get foam out the end of the high pressure hose; done, fairly inexpensively and if you recover the discharge, environmentally and pet friendly.

Hope this helps? Cheers.

ghouchu

thanks folks

thanks for the info, guys. yes richard, this richard is a non-mechanical-minded tyro. ya'll have saved me from having to drag the son-of-a-gun into my house.

you da best

richard

Our Sponsors