Virus Alert

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
I got 3 viruses sent to me today. Two of them were the new virus going around called badtrans. The subject line has RE: in it.

Norton caught them all. One was sent from Bates Mclain from spray and clean and the other was from Maxy wash. I'm sure they don't even know. Update your virus programs.

I would email these guys but my out going email is not working.

S

sprayandclean

Virus zapped

Thanks to Beth for helping me zap the badtrans crapola that my computer was sending around.

To anyone recieving an attachmnet 'from' my email address, I am sorrry, and I hope you didnt open the attachmnet. If you did go to www.symantec.com, and get the fix, its easy and free.

Show some support for Symantec / Norton by purchasing their excellent anti-virus products.

Older and wiser,
Bates

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Bates,

Glad you got that fixed. I never open stuff anymore. To look at some cartoon, just isn't worth it. However. If you really want too.

Right click on it. Then save it to your desk top. If it is a virus Norton will catch if it didn't already. Always update Norton. It is the best in my opinion.

Beth thanks for taking the time to help smash that bug. Have a great day too the both of you. :)

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
I have received about 6 e-mails this week with attachments
formats that I do not recognize (docs.DOC.pif) (Me_nude.MP3.scr)

These were all from BBS members

Seemed kind of strange to me, maybe some kind of virus.

What do you think Beth?:confused:

Beth

Hi Mark,
As long as you keep the virus definitions updated you should be good. Make sure that whatever antivirus program you use, you have it configured to scan your incoming email. This way you are safe. The software can detect, disable, and/or quarentine the viruses before they get to your inbox so that you are protected.

Always make sure to delete the messages containing the virus, and empty the deleted folder. Also clean out the recycle bin.

You'll hear me talk about two things over and over again.

1. make sure you keep up to date with your antivirus software
2. back up your critical files at least weekly, maybe daily in the busy season

Beth:cool:

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Thanks Beth.

I will need to research the best antivirus software available for Macintosh OS, and update my protection.

I received more suspect e-mails today.

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
Thanks Beth.

I will need to research the best antivirus software available for Macintosh OS, and update my protection.

I received more suspect e-mails today.

I think someone may be targeting BBS members most of the suspect e-mails I received were allegedly from BBS members?

Beth

The way viruses work, is that they are spread via email much the way a cold spreads when you sneeze. Here's an example....We all have large address books. We all also subscribe to different newsletters, etc. adn our email addresses are out there. We get hit with spam every day. Well, the programmers of the virus have email address lists that they either buy, or they have a program that creates email addresses. They attach ethe virus and hit send and Viola! It begins. Someone opens it, and it goes through their address book sending to a new batch of addresses, and so on.

These are not targeted acts. The people who write the viruses don't know you directly, they just happened top open somethng in email that they were not protected against.

I hope this eliminates any confusion about viruses.

Beth
;)

Our Sponsors