hand held PDA

Jon

I was all set to buy a Palm 500 or 505 then said what else is out there, well seems there is more out there ok.

Who has what, why did you buy that, would you recommend it or something else?

I am leaning towards the HP Jornada 548 as it is Windows based with lots of memory.

I am also waiting to hear from all of you as to the best one, not just because of price but for what they do please.

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
I thought about getting one. But every time I go take a look at one I just can't justify buying it. That to me is a product I would play with until I figured it out. Then never touch it again.

If it was more like a computer I would buy one. There are some that are a little bigger that are little pc's

Mark

Moderator / Sponsor
I have a Palm Pilot that I used for about a month and then forgot,
I would prefer to have an iBook.

(Laptop computer by Macintosh)

Attachments

• sleigh4.gif
    sleigh4.gif
    2 KB · Views: 122

Jon

Dan,

That is the main thing that stops me from buying one, the cost, I mean for such a small thing that is not used all day and perhaps not even everyday shelling out $400 or so blows my mind.

I am not the best when it comes to keeping track of milage, hours etc. I do think with a toy, yeah they are toys I would be more able to do it, like a computer and the Jornada is in many ways a mini computer.

Can even get a modem to it and go wireless but that does not nor will it ever interest me.

Mark, your a Mac guy so your reply makes sense too, the way my computer has been acting up I might shoot it and buy a Mac.

Aplus

Jon,
For keeping track of milage, appts, meetings and such, a good old calendar/notebook will probably work just as well. You say you're not good at keeping track of things, well, a palm pilot is only as good as the data you enter in to it. In other words, you stilll have to remember to use it.

For me, I don't see the value of forking over $400 bucks for something that is really not necessary.

Heck, you could pick up a used notebook computer for $400 and use that for what you stated. You'd likely get more functionality out of it.

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
Jon

Look at the Handsring Color Visor-is the unit that I use. Nice thing is that the unit is rechargable and you can add module units like GPS and so on-have a look.

David

PS Give Easy Route another look!!!!!

Mike Hughes

I have a Casio Cassiopeia Pocket PC (windows based). I love it, but I dont use it as much since I started bringing my laptop just about everywhere I go...............

The best thing about it is that it syncs with Microsoft Outlook.......so all of my notes, email inbox, calendar and contacts are right there and up to date at all times.

It is definately not for everyone, and I am truly not using it to its fullest potential..............I'm gonna have to work on that.......

Jon

Mike that is a $600 toy and your not using it to the fullest, so others do have the same problems about keeping track of things..

I know Mike you did not say you have that problem, I am sort of guessing.

Laptop and notebook computer are they not the same basic thing?

Seems that the more I hear and the more I look the less I want to buy anything, just that all those little pieces of paper with mileage and other things get lost so easily.

If only I could keep tabs on that like it was money I would have no problem at all:)

David, once I get my computer fixed if I can I will consider giving Easy Route another try.

Steven Rowlet

Jon, I have a Palm 111e that is less tha two years old. It was around $150.00. If they still have that model I would look at it. It should do what you want to do.

Jon

Thanks guys, now if this new computer behaves I can go check out the stuff you mentioned.

Still using the tried method of writing note on paper then losing them!!

oguard

There are 2 basic PDA's on the market (well actually 3 but more later); Palm based and MS CE based.

Both have tons of free and shareware programs for tracking expenses, mileage, billable hours, note/letter writing, spread sheets etcetera.

Palm tends to be a more stable OS and does have 'instant start' capabilities. Windows CE is a scaled down version of Windows with limitied functionality and 'fast start' capabilities. Both units will synchronize with you PC based computer and the Palm supports Apple computers as well.

Palm computers are as they are named, small enough to fit in your palm. They have some sort of hand writing recognition program to allow for taking notes and inputing information. The Palm OS tends to be more compact code than the MS OS and is >50% market share. MS has ~45% with the remainder being the Psion product. Psion makes a true hand held computer that is fast, reliable and stable but limited availability.

Prices range from $100 to $1000 depending on memory, screen size, colour screen, lighting et al.

Note book computers are smaller in size, feature and functionality than lap top computers. Note books would be sized like the iBook or Sony Vaio; larger units are considered lap tops.

As has been said any computer is basically a GIGO unit. Garbage In, Garbage Out. Data is data but you need to use it to benefit.

Start with a paper based system like Day-Timers, Day Runner or any others. Once you get used to doing the grunt work then you can find financial and time justification to invest is an electronic device and begin to let the computer analyze your data.

But.....remember what Confucious said, "The palest ink is keener than the most retentive mind."

I use pen/pencil and paper for any note I absolutely must have.

Hope this helps? Cheers.

Aplus

John,

Notebook and laptop are now interchangeable terms. About 8 or so years back, a laptop was just that...about a 15 pound slab that sat on your lap, and was a fully functional computer. Back then their were notebooks too, that were somewhat smaller, and less robust.

However, with todays technology and finicky customers, a laptop in the old fashioned sense would never sell. The terms have become truly interchangable.

Jon

Guess I am not ready or sold on any of the small stuff yet.

Ok so I am going to get either a Day-Timer or Day Runner and just get into the habit of logging start milage and ending milage.

Then add my stuff to the calender and ask the wife to kick my butt till I get into a good habit with it.

It is not the cost so much as knowing myself and knowing I will slip up with it.

Like others said, use it a bit then lay it down and forget about it.

Thanks for all the input here.

Our Sponsors