How to clean hoods

chad wilson

Dave,

I have a basic idea of how to clean hoods, but I've never seen it done. How do you trap the water from going every where? Plastic? If so where do you get it, and what kind or how thick? Do you just spray the whole hood, up the vent take out the filters,clean them or replace? Go on the roof and clean down the ventilation, and clean what else on the roof? These are a fwe questions I have, I don't know if I'm on the right track or not. Do you know of any schools out there or a number to call? How do you price? I know I've a lot of questions. Dan, said you where the man to ask. If you can give me help, anything at all. It would be much appreciated

Thank You,

Chad Wilson
Pressurized Results

Dominic A

I am not Dave but I have a few answers for you. Firts the schools are in Fort Worth Texas. Go to this web site to learn more about it. www.dcs1.com/del/kitsch.html .
The way we do things is we can the entire system from top to bottom. We clean the fan and surrounding area and the flue everything to bare metal. Once done we clean the filters and ther hood inside. We capture water by draping the whole hood. It looks like a shower curtian. and we run it into a 55 gallon drum. We use 2mm plastic we get ours from Lowes or home depot. Cost around $11.00 a roll. we get a roll that is 10x100 feet.
I would go to the kitchen exhaust cleaners web site also has tons of info. I would type in Exhaust cleaners on your browser and you should find loads of info. I would go back and read all the past post in this thread also. If you can I would try to hook up with an other cleaning company to see if they will teach you the ropes. Also one of the most important thing is get a hold of the NFPA code 96 Book. It will help you understand the things you should and should not do.
Phil Ackland has a good book out I would recommend buying it. It will take you through every step of the process from doing the job to bidding on them and everything in the middle. Good investment.
I know I will get knocked for this , but D*lco make s a video tape about hhod and vent cleaning. Not the best by far, but if you don't have anyone to show you then this could be of use to you. Like I said not the bast but could help you picture things better. Well I hope this helps out a little, I have also started to just clean hoods a few months ago. So I can still remember some of the questions you have I had them too. There is a lot to learn and you will always be learning new things everyday.

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
Chad

My PC has been down for a few days and the way it sounds, I will take it back on Monday. The above information is right on target, the search feature on this site is all the info you need to get started.

You should pick up Phil Acklands book and forget the tape by Delco. The tape is so bad it can only be compared to the Attack Of the Killer Tomatoes. Save your money.

I would try to go out and work with another company not within your market and learn the proper steps and process. All hood systems should be looked at in the same manner and should be cleaned and checked in the same way each and every time. Just take your time and do a great job. Each service your times will get better and the overall process will make more sense.

Good Luck

David

chad wilson

Dominic A,

Thanks for the information! I posted in the power washing area and a few guys thank I should steer clear (from hoods) because I'm a part timer to them, yet I work about 50 hrs. a week on average. (The past few weeks thats gone down). I'm still going to school two days a week. Since my business hasn't boomed since I've started I have to take odd jobs to help with the bills. I install satellite systems on the side, and my father has a plumbing company, so I can come up with money when needed. But its usually only enough to get by. Thats why I'm looking into hoods and thats why I started my on business. I like this profession and you can make damn good money when you've got the work. So once again thanks for the info.

David,

I also appreciate your thoughts too! Its great having a source you can go to to help with information that you need. Thanks for looking out for me. Hope to return the favor soon!

Thank You,

Chad Wilson
Pressurized Results

Our Sponsors