Need help on estimate, please!

aquapro

I am working on an estimate for a local restaurant which has a system with a two story duct. there are three systems in this restaurant and each system has two access door and of course the 3'x3' fan assembly. The last guy was cleaning the 8',9'and 7' hoods only for $250.00. You could tell he was not there long. These access panels are sealed shut with silicone but can be accessed. Where shoud I begin on the pricing? Oh, the duct work makes a 90 degree bend above each hood then up to the roof. These systems have not been cleaned above the filters for 10 years. Can anyone offer any advice?

www.aquaprocleaning.com

David Saulque

<b>PWN TEAM - Hood Moderator</b><br<b><font color=
How many systems have you cleaned? It sound like this is your first. For a first job this will be a tall order to start with. First out I would use the search feature of this bb. The second thing I would do is buy Phil Aclands book along with his tape. Not knowing the basic will get you into issues the first hour.

As a general rule of thumb only. You should get $20 per. running foot and $65 per roof fan along with a charge for each access door and another charge for the second level.

With all of this in mind I would work the job by the hour rate of $80-$90 per hour for the two man crew. My crew would be on this job for 6 plus hours at best , if the system is as bad as it sounds

Oh yes what type of food is being cooked?

Good luck

David

aquapro

David

Thanks for the response, I am an experienced commercial Kitchen cleaner however I have only cleaned the maximum of 12' duct work before. I have never dealt with a system which has access panels. Do you use specially bent lances on these or are there any secrets?
Thanks again for the response.

John Moller
AquaPro Powerwashing
www.aquaprocleaning.com

BryanL

Wow! John if you have never had to deal with an access panel consider yourself lucky, it seems that in my area it is abnormal if a place doesn't have an access panel or at least the need for one. Apparently it is agaist the law to build a straight duct here.

Bryan

David Saulque

The door should be of a size that would lend itself to cleaning and inspection. You can make good money in installing access doors. I would recommend a Dewalt Nibbler with Flamegard doors.

In the service of the horizontal with access doors we use a combination of tools. You could drag a spinner or use a Mosmatic spinner car. We use a regular wands with 90's

Take Care

David[spin]

Douglas Hicks

I also install access panels, but I have a different approach than David. I use a Sawz All to cut the hole, because I already had one, and we use it cutting pipe and other things. I used to use a cordless, till I burned it up. I don't like the nibbler because of the little pieces of metal produced, You should drape the hood before cutting so as to capture metal pieces. Go slow, wearing glasses, and finish w/a file to smooth the metal. I start w/a 2.5 hole saw in the corners. Try to catch the larger pieces of metal before they fall into the plastic and poke holes.

I have looked at the Flameguard panels. I think they are held in place by bolts. I use panels from Ductmate (ductmate.com) I like them because they use large wing nuts to loosen the panel, no wrench to use and loose. But I do not use enough panels to buy direct, so need to go through my local sheet metal guy. I probably spend more for the product, but it is faster during service.

David, how long does it take for your guys to install a panel? I figure it takes me 30 to 45 minutes per panel, so I charge 1 hour.
I add 15 minutes time during cleaning to R&R the panel.

Douglas Hicks
General Fire Equipment Co of Eastern Oregon, Inc

David Saulque

Doug

I can put in a Duct Mate door in 10 minutes-you must get a Nibbler. We previously used a Saws All, never again-you will love it. The cost is around $400-but well worth it in labor and blades.

David

Our Sponsors