Windows XP Serious Flaw

Jon

For those of you using XP I am not sure if you are aware of this or not but there is a very serious flaw in it, I kid you not, just read it in the business section of my paper but to long to copy so here is the gish of it.

It is possible for hackers to gain control of your computer without entering it, there is a program in XP that allows them to do that and Microsoft urges all to go to their web site and download a fix for it ASAP.

It has something to do with the "universal plug and play" that is in XP.

Also if you had manually added this to ME then your at risk too.

I can fax copies of this report to you if you wish, might be able to Email it if not to large for that.

Just let me know but whatever go to Microsoft web site and fix this before someone re-formats your hard drive or worst.

They can steal or destory our data across teh Internet or implant rogue computer software.

This covers both home and office versions of XP. This was discovered 5 weeks ago by independent security researchers who notified MS.

Enough said, get over to MS and download that fix be patient, it takes a few minutes to download.

Beth

If you want to run Windows, my suggestion would be either run Windows 98 (latest release) or run Windows NT. Windows 2000 is good too but I am not certain if there have been bugs reported and fixed, thus, the suggestion of NT.

We use Windows 98. At work I am running Windows NT. Between the two, I have fewer problems on Windows NT.

The other day Rod and I were out at lunch with the sales rep for one of the advertisers we do business with, and were signing next years contract. The guys at the table next to us were discussing XP and raised the same issues Jon did. They had it installed on a network then went to the trouble of uninstalling it and went back to Windows 98.

My advice.... when software is new, wait and see what happens, and let someone else work the bugs out. At least wait until Microsoft (or any other developer) has had achance to apply a couple of service packs to the release.

Beth:cool:

Jon

Beth very good advice,

Why I stick to the full version of Windows 98 SE.

What I truly do not understand is why MS would not completely test a new product before releasing it to the general public.

With their knowledge and resorces surely they could have tested for this and fixed it before, not after trouble happens.

I never upgarde to .0 program, once it has been out and has a .1 or higher I will consider it, IF it is something I feel is better then what I have.

The biggest problem is finding things for what you have once a newer version comes out.

I have Outlook 2002 and that was part of my computer problem.

Trying to find Outlook 2000, NEW, still in box unopened, anyone know of stores still selling it please get price and let me know. (stand alone, not as part of Office)

Last edited:

Beth

Why? Easy. Pressure to go to market from shareholders. Stock. Money. It's all about profits....

Also not all products go to a .1 after a .0... Many just release service packs.

I don't think you can get Outlook without office....I may be wrong, but I could never find it, so I upgraded office.

Beth

Jon

Ah finally I can say Beth is wrong, been waiting years for this, LOL

Beth you can buy Outlook as a stand alone product.

I did in 98 and again with the 2002 one which goes back for my refund.

For those that are unaware MS has a division that refunds your money IF you have all the orginal stuff, box, cd and container it came in, book and sales reciept.

Does not matter if you got it from them or someplace else.
They just don't like to tell you that but there is a time frame of a few month and it MUST be out of your computer compelety.

Yes they have the right to access your computer to verify it has been removed.

That is one thing about XP, it reads your computer without your permission unless you consider that when you said YES to agree to their license you gave them permission to read your computer at will. Ah for the hidden down right dirty tricks MS goes to in order to catch us putting in a product already in another computer.

Our Sponsors