Configuring PC to go from Cable modem to dialup

Mike Hughes

OK.......computer wizards out there.......I have issues.

My cable modem provider is switching some stuff around, which has made my cable service offline yesterday, today, and possibly up until the 4th.

No big deal, since I still have access to a dial up account. Problem is, I can dial up, and get connected, but I cannot access any websites in Internet Explorer. Nothing.

I know it is connected, because my AOL Instant Messenger software works......(by the way, AOL is not my ISP).

I figure the cable modem has messed up some of the configurations in my computer.......perhaps TCP/IP ?? I have been messing with this too long and can't figure it out. Any ideas?? Been on the phone with tech support, and they did no good..........of course, as soon as I get this figured out, the cable modem will be back on..........but nonetheless.........I want this to work......it's driving me crazy.

Any suggestions?

timhays

i guess a stupid question would be to ask how you got here to ask the question,but i wont ask.

i have had the same problem before and straightened it out by
removing the LAN settings from the hard drive completly and use internet connection wizard to connect using dial up.

Mike Hughes

Originally posted by timhays
i guess a stupid question would be to ask how you got here to ask the question,but i wont ask.

I'll tell you anyway. After blowing the dust off of it, I hooked up my old computer.........I forgot what a slow poke it was!!......its a Pentium 233 with MMX. Pre-Pentium II days.......

Thanks for your help.

Our Sponsors