More PC problems

Mike Hughes

Well,

I still cant get connected properly. I have a good connection with my cable modem.......that has been verified. Oddly enough, I can use my AOL Instant Messenger software, but I cannot access ANY websites at all, or receive/send emails.

So, what could it be?? This problem began after I installed that different version of MS Office 2000 the other day. I uninstalled the version I had, then installed the MS Office 2000 Professional. I am using Windows XP Professional.

I am almost at the point of running the system restore disc and just starting from scratch.......but I really don't want to do that! I am losing my patience quickly! I really wish this was a desktop computer......It would make it so much easier to resist the temptation to throw it out the window!!

(Tony, I know you're saying I told you so right now, but I can't get that Ghost thing figured out......had I run that prior to this install, it would be fine right now....oh well)

Have been through many different settings, including the connections tab in IE Internet Options, and TCP/IP settings.

Jon

Mike as silly as this sounds I notice one thing you have not done, or at least mentioned, have you called your ISP and talked with tech help, it could be a simple thing of changing all the ip numbers.

Give that a try before you start all over with un and re installing things.

Jon

Mike Hughes

Thanks for the advice, Jon......however I have been on the phone with two different ISP techs, over five different phone calls........ nothing they tried has worked, and the connection is fine on their end. In ms-dos.....they had me ping a website, and it came back fine.....so, the connection is good.......and my ip address is good.

Beth

Mike,

I believe the problem lies in XP. One of the things Office Pro users encounter is problems with Outlook. Remember when Dan had problems?

I would strongly recommend going back to either Win 98 2nd edition, Win NT, or Win 2000. You will want to back everything up off of the hard drive, then you are going to have to wipe that sucker clean and reload the software. This should solve the problem.

Tony is in Florida for a week's vacation.... sorry. This is the best I can offer you.

Beth:(

Mike Hughes

Beth,

Thanks for the suggestion, but my problem is further reaching then Outlook.........Internet Explorer is affected also.

That also doesnt explain why XP has worked fine with my Outlook for the last month or so.............go figure.

I'm trying my best to avoid a system restore.....

Jon

Mike what version of Outlook are you using, remember when I put in Outlook 2002 it crashed my computer?

Why I now have Outlook 2000 and it works like a baby, no more problems.

Have you uninstalled Outlook and then tried your computer? If it works you know the problem was Outlook.

Jon

Beth

Mike,
I believe XP would effect your browser as well. I do recall that when MS released the most current browser, there was a notice that was released by MS, that stated that users of Outlook should NOT upgrade or they would have problems. I'll see if I can find the info today and post a link for you. That way at least you can determine if it applies to you or not based upon the description.

I had considered the upgrade at one point and went online to chat with a MS tech and was told not to upgrade... I hate PC problems. Good luck!

Beth:(

reedsterstl

Mike,

A suggestion I have is go to techtv.com if you can. They have a section for XP users that has fixes in it. Also, check your cookies settings. These are just suggestions, not knowing what you have tried already. Also, if security is not set to medium, some sites will not load at all. To trouble shoot start with the internet connections settings in the control panel.

Reed

Bill B

Mike, agree with Reeds Deck wrt the Tech TV site. They have a lot of good troubleshooting advice. Never used their XP info, but I skimmed last month and saw that it was significant. I also don't want to state the obvious, but have you downloaded current XP and Office patches from the MS site?
A general comment you don't want to hear - I installed @home cable modem 2 years ago and had so many problems that I discountinued. My system became so unstable that the extra speed wasn't worth the hassle. Figure to wait a couple of more years for the world to iron out these types of problems before going back to DSL or cable. B2

Mike Hughes

Ok guys.........I gave up...........I surrendered. I restored it, back to nothing. All data files are backed up, and nothing will be lost.........but man, what a pain! Like I dont have anything better to do.

My web browser and email work 100% now, thankfully.

Oh well. I better go......have lots of applications and data to restore!

Not to mention, I had 56 email waiting for me when I could finally log onto my mail server. :)

Aplus

Mike,

Just got back in pocket last night....and I find my wonderful Comcast cable is down. So I had to wait till I could get on at another location.

I guess it's too late, since you are restored and running, but I wanted to let you know I didn't ignore you.

Stay with Outlook 2000, and DON'T install the service pack that is available for it. The service pack adds the little ditty which will forever filter out attachments that end with exe, vbs, bat, com, and any other executables I have forgotten. Jon know about what a pain in the neck that is.

I guess I can't help myself here, but I have to say....ALWAYS BACKUP REGULARLY. Take the time now and get your ghost software working, or go to Best Buy and buy a copy of DRIVE IMAGE which is just as good, and get it to run.

Beth

Yo! Tony!
See what happens when you go away? EEESH.... It's like when you take a car to the shop and it won't make the noise for the mechanic.

Mike, I'm glad you are working again.
And Tony, you were missed!

Beth

Our Sponsors