Need some advice

poseidonpress

Okay guy`s. I need your expert advice.
I`ve been doing some sub-contracting w/ a company that does trucks. The problem is the owner/operator is young and unreliable. I on the other hand am 38 and NEED to work as much as possible.
I have a Tuff skid mounted unit, hot water,5GPM/3000PSI. Up-stream/Down-stream capabilities and a 275 gallon tank. The type of trucks we`ve worked on so far have been; Tandums, Trailer Dumps and Roll Off`s.
Here is the owner/operator`s process: 1. One worker starts cleaning off rails/frames. When he is halfway done 1 side, the second worker begins soaping the cab. Using a product from ZEP(concentrated TNT truck wash). It seems to work very well.
(2). The "wand operator" then moves to the front of the truck and rinses the cab. He then moves on to the other side of the truck. Completing the rails/frame on that side.
(3). When that is complete, Aluminum Brite (also from ZEP) is used on all required areas. All chrome is polished w/ a hand mitt, and it`s off to the next truck.
I know these questions maybe trivial to most, but you know what they say, "The only stupid question is the one not asked."
If one was to do these type of trucks solo, would this process be appropriate?
Originally, I was set to do concrete work. But it looks like, from what I`ve been reading on web-sites. If done right, Fleet washing(large or small accounts can be very lucrative).
Also (oh, so many questions, so little time). I`ve been doing some "cold calling" to trucking companies. What I`m running into is that most do thier cleaning "in house". Should I keep plugging away at these guys (direct mailers, more phone calls), or just move on to next possible customer?
Well, thanks for letting me ramble on. I think I agree w/ Bigboy. I would like to be a (1) man operation for now. NO EMPLOYEES!!! And would like to be successful. I am a hard worker and fast learner. Any and all comments would be helpfull and deeply appreciated. Thank You!!
G.

Larry L.

PWN TEAM - Moderator Emeritus
A truck can be washed in many ways when running solo,prespray,downstream,upstream,2-step,its left up to the one man team as to which would be faster for him.

Keep plugging along you'll never know when,where or who unless you do..

The in-house wash is hard to sell to but sometimes you'll hit it lucky,,,their washers breaK down,employee's no show,ect.,,always stay in touch but don't dog them to death.

Most around here are one man teams or I'd say about 1/4 has helpers.Do a search of the area around you as to trucks,open road,local haulers,deliver'y,ect.

ron

hi G.

Do your homework on this read eveything you can when you get an idea of how you want to wash. keep bigboy in mind hes good. i dont know if zep is a sponser but there stuff is big$$$. learning chems and how they work is as big a part of truck washing as anything else.
for 1 man show start by looking at duel lance and 2 stepping but thats the way i went there are others

C

candypants

Listen Up

With a one man rig on tractors is a very easy process and pretty profitable. With my method you can do about 2.5-3 tractor washs an hour or $60-75 hr. I recommend though that you book your weekends so you can afford a helper. With a good helper you can do easily 4 to 5 an hour or $100-125 hr. You seem to be on the right track with your pressure washer. Additional equipment needed to do this: 25 degree spray nozzle, 5-6 ft wand is big time, quick couplers on the end of your gun so you can have one gun and a bunch of different size wands (huge savings), a quality 2 gallon pump up sprayer of degreaser, 5 gal. bucket with a hand scrubber in it (to help keep water in bucket when filling suds put gun on hand scrubber when filling), regular size brush and extension brush for high areas, and some common sense will help too. Here's what you do with this equipment. Put some DNB 1430 from delco cleaning in your 2 gal. sprayer 50/50 mix (About half the price as Zep). Start on one side by spraying those tires and rims with 1430 and then spray them off next. Next wet down the back and climb up and spray 1430 all over it quickly and then hop down and wet it a little. Then spray behind and around the tires and rear flaps then thouroughly spray off the back without climbing up, unless doing a flattopper (spray off the tops on these). By the way chemically injection takes too long is doesn't clean as well as soap in a bucket (R109 from Delco, save $$$). Next you'll wet the one side up high and also the hood and front. Dip your extension brush and wash high side and hood, windshield, above windshield and spray off, then wet lower areas on first side along with front grill. Wash that and spray off obviously. To remove bugs spray with 1430 before washing when necessary. Now all you have left is the other side. Spray the tires and whatever crome/aluminum tanks, etc. , then wash the top, then lower part, and take your shit to the next rig. When you use two guys, use same methods but make sure both guys are always working and it will go twice as fast (12 min. per rig roughly) I have tried all these other methods and they are just simply less effective and take longer and you'll have more equipment problems with injection being just one more thing to go bad. We have landed over 1,500 pieces of equipment weekly in one year, so our methods obviously work if you take pride in your work and don't have missed spots on anything. Do good work and people will notice and talk to others.

Dan S

wow big-boy you got slammed............

With my method I can do 5 an hour all by myself and no brush!!!!sometimes more but I didnt want you to feel bad..............

I have been in this business for many years well 7 of 'em and I will not drag a brush around .... but hey it's okay if you do..........have fun !!!!!!!

Welcome to the board !!!!!!!!!!

fishguy

I'm with you guys on this 2 stepping is the way to go! I cringe every time I have to pick up a brush! I have one account that has 40 trucks (single and double axels no sleepers) I wash them 2 times a month and they stager the trucks for me so I have more space to wash . this is one of my favorite accounts becouse of that fact I can get in there and wash about 13 - 15 trucks an hour and at 14 bucks a truck that works into a nice hourly wage.

And I also agree with who ever said it that Zep is expensive you can find many other companys with great products for less.

Cold calling can be fustrating but it is how I started my comany. you will definatly here more no's than yes but dont let it discourage you you just need to keep at it. But remember dont hammer people that say no then they will remeber you as the pest that wouldnt go away. Just a quick call say every 6 months or so and a flyer and card in the mail that will at least let them know your still around and if they change there mind hopefuly you are the first one they call!

ron

hi fishguy

do you use hf acid or ph acid? or niether? im interested in your chems and how you wash.
I also 2 step but am always interested in learning new stuff.
Do you reclaim? at that price im guessing not. Any EPA problems?
use a duel lance? rottie72@aol.com or post here.

fishguy

Thanks for the welcome Ron! Actully I use both SF and HF but mostly HF. As for soap I used to use a product called trailer brite but xxxxxxxxxx quit making it so then I switched to bond breaker and now I am currently using a product from my local supply house called react 2. All chemicals are aplied at high pressure (2700psi) through a single 6 foot lance and the chemicals are controled through a 3 way toggle switch I have mounted to the side of the gun and the chemicals are run through the pump (yeah , yeah I know dont run that suff through your pump but they last me 3 - 5 years and CATS are tough pumps..lol..)

yes at this site I can not let the water into the storm drain as it runs right into a river with spawning salmon (dont want to killem I like to catch'em ..lol..) so I had custom inserts made that fit into the storm drain and here I just have to use a big sump pump to pump the water to the sanitary sewer. but in some areas I do not have to recover waste water at all yet....(cringes again).

I am full of useless information just ask and I'll tell ya!!

ron

is that

switch set-up on the lance hard wired? the remote control for a car and a dual lace is what i was thinking for a 3 chem set up the remote control units are big $$$
i have been looking to buy my acid cheaper and found a on line place that sells a drum of 47%hf and 47%ph they say it makes 5 55 gal drums of brightner that should be cut again at 50% to 75% to use its $750 a drum [55 gal] for the kit. im paying $55 per 5 gal now that i cut 1 1/2 gal acid to 3 1/2 gal water.
Ever use BROWN DERBY? is it any good?

fishguy

funny you should mention brown derby I was just looking into that the other day but seems kinda spendy though it sounds like it works pretty good from what I here.

Yes the swithch is hard wired. And all chems applied at high pressure, through a single 6ft lance. here is how I built it so I fix it almost any where from any store. 1, 3 way toggle mounted to gun 4 $ , 1 , 25ft 3 way extion cord cut ends and mount to solenoids and batery other end mount to to 3 way toggle, then use 100ft extention cord 9$ to connect to together walla you now have easy to fix in the feild two step system (this is basic description of coarse)

As for the acid I can get you the number (email of coarse) and name of a company that might be able to get you a better deall on that alot better! I havent used them in a while becasue I have supllier close to me now that I convinced to sell there product and I get it for the same price with no shipping charges. But if I remer right you could get 55 gal. drums for 180 - 220 for the stuff I normally used and some real nasty stuff for around 400.

Last edited:

Larry L.

hehehehe.............welcome guys.

Careful Candypants all trucks are not the same,1430 will do damage to chrome,alumu.,and the cheaper metals like the sheild that goes around the stacks and mirrors plus it will streeeeak paint,care should be taken at a 50/50 mix....you got more balls then me when useing that mix on trucks.There is a faster way besides pumpups,come go fishing with me and I'll tell ya....na I want throw ya in.

hey fishguy whats SF is it the same as PH.

I'm a truckwasher and fixen to pick up a fleet of polished trucks,all petes.Coulds either of you fleetwashers help a poor on truckwasher and tell him how to clean bout 30 polished rigs and what kind of price I should get.

Dan S

big boy use the brushy brushy brushy!!!!!!! carry around that bucket dip your brush in it and wooooo dont forget to lug around that ole pump up sprayer withcha ....... pump pump pump....... zoom zoom zoom .....

fishguy

Big boy I'll go fishin with ya as long as you promise not to throw me over...lol...
SF is sulfuric acid but it is mixed with HF too.

Cringes again at the thought of a fleet of polished rigs. I would say a hot water machine and some mild soap and maybe a little acid cut way down. other than that the brush idea is a good one .. god I hate polished rigs

Thanks for the the welcome Dan!!

Larry L.

Cross my fingers I want throw ya in but may throw two or three of your fish back and if you have one bigger than me you'd better set on it,its the only way its staying in the boat,,you'll be telling people about the big one that got away with a wet butt and hun'ry gut.

Yel man I used to run from them there polished rigs myself and my hair still stands up on its ends when I hear can your wash my truck its polished on the other end of the phone.They still scare me and that means every one of them which I do several polished rigs each week.I sorta learned how to washem the 2-step way or sprayon wash off way.

10-4 on the SF mixed in the HF,mine also has EB........what % is your HF,,,,,,I have gone from 70% to 49%.

Glad to see other fleetwashers joining the board,now maybe we can come up with something,,Welcome fishguy and Candypants.

fishguy

not sure on the % in the acid I'd have to dig out a msds sheet and check.

what is EB??

Well I guess I'll have to let you catch the biggest fish then...lol...dont want to go swimmin!! Looks like your a bass fisherman from your pic.

Larry L.

EB=Glycol Ether,

Doesn't make me aNY differents what kind of fish gets on my hook,like pan fishing the best.If one isn't bit'ing I try for another kind,bream,ca'ppe,wall'eye,cat and sometimes I break down and go bass fishing.I think I have more lu'ers then pro bass shops,from wittle ones to big enough to eat hard baits,know telling how may spinners and buzz baits but I love to utlra light fish,know what I mean.Only have two rods with 14 lb. test all the rest run from 2 lb. to 8 lb..I lay out 6 to 8 rods on the deck,I ready if they are,they run from jigs to bottom bumpers and it never seems I have the right lu'er one none of them cuzz have to change all of them before days up.I turn on the rad'o to the oldies goldes,turn it up and kick back and enjoy fishing,I doesn't matter to me if they biten or not I'm fishing.

fishguy

Looks like were turning it into a fishing thread!!...lol...But I'm with you on that I fish for what ever is biting when I'm on the lake. But If I'm on the ocean I'm lookking for halibut or samlon and sometimes rock bass and flounder!! As for rivers its trout , samon , and steelhead!!

poseidonpress

Man you guys have some great ideas!!! But because of my inexperience, I`m having trouble getting all the lingo down. I want to learn all this stuff but I`m afraid of looking like an idiot. But like I said before, the only stupid question is the one not asked.
So, I`ll use a line from a movie, "explain it to me like I`m a 3 year old". If anyone can name the movie that line is from I`ll buy them dinner. A gift card to a local restaurant or something or a pizza.
I know I have the right tools to do the job, it`s just a matter of using them correctly to get the job done quickly.
(1) What exactly is 2-stepping?
(2) How can I best utilize my downstream injector to speed up my wash times?
(3) If I do use my downstream injector, how do I dilute my chemicals?
(4) I do have a dual lance, what`s the best way to utilize it?
(5) Fishguy, could you please explain this set-up you have with the toggle switch. Sounds interesting.
I`m sure I`ll have more questions later. I did have a mentor I was working with. In the beggining he called me looking for help on some accounts, sub-contracting. It just so happens the vehicle he used to tow his rig was out of service. Needed new brakes and other stuff. So for a month and a half we used my equipment, my fuel, my everything. Then as soon has everything was fixed with his truck, he accused me of going behind his back and stealing an account. Which was total BULL_ _ _ _!!!!! So it seems that I was played. He needed someone to help fill in the gaps until he was up and running again and I was the sucker. I believe he feels bad though and deep down knows I didn`t back stab him. Because the following day he called me trying to set me up with some work.
Thanks for listening guys.

fishguy

poseidonpress

1. 2 stepping is where an acidic solution is applied to what you are washing and then a alkiline (soap) solution is apllied and when you rinse its clean.

2. I hate those things!! I dont think they can unless your putting your soap on by hand. I'm sure someone else can do better for ya here

3. some of them have a metering knob on them. some you just have to add water to the chemicals untill you find the right dilution

4. I used mine as a pry bar...lol... actuly I dont use them. But if I remember right one side was for appling chemicals and the other for high preasure rinse

5. the set up is used to turn solenoids on and off the supply chemicals to the pump. that way your not having to run back and forth to your rig to shut them off /turn them on or change them. I have seen untis that run 2 hoses out to the gun and the high pressure high all wrapped in a sheath and that damn thing is heavy when your dragging around 100 feet of it all day + it expensive to replace. I have also seen the same thing with wires run to a toggle in the sheath its also heavy and expensive. I will draw up a simple scmatic of how it works and post it here once I scan it.

Our Sponsors