Diesel or kerosene

Jack

I use diesel right now for the burner

What are the advantages of using kerosene
over diesel??

Do you guys store kerosene in your garage?
If so, what is a fair price per gal/per 55
Who sells it in 55 gal drums???

thanks

Dan Flynn

PWN Founder
Hi Jack,

The advantage to Kerosene is that it burns cleaner. The price issue, not sure. We can get it from a local gas station. The price is aroud 1.50 per gallon.

------------------
Dan Flynn
Flynn Service Pro
www.powerwash.net
708 715-4205

Lorin Grable

Kerosene 'burns cleaner' but what that really means is that you won't have near the soot buildup on the heating coils (which eventually requires a teardown and cleaning). However, Kero has a slightly lower BTU content so you might lose a few degrees heat output. Also, it would be best to check and adjust burner air mixture to between different fuels.

As far as STORING any combustible fluid in your garage, I wouldn't, especially if the garage is connected to the house.

THe price of Kero (no. 1 fuel oil) at the pump in my area has been in excess of $1.80/gallon. Diesel is ay about $1.45 per gallon here. You might get the Kero cheaper if you bought bulk 55 gallon but I really can't see them selling it for too much less per gallon unless you bought a GOB of it - then you have to hassle with handling the drum as well as worrying about water getting into the drum (condensation). To go through all of that AND have have the penalty of a 24% more cost in burner fuel just isn't worth it (to me)

Dan@pwwarehouse

Regarding kerosene over diesel fuel I choose the kerosene. I usually add some automatic transmission fluid for extra lubrication. kerosene is basically a dry fuel as compared to diesel. But, it is very clean burning.

So, by adding some automatic transmission fluid to the kerosene you now will end up with a clean burning fuel with the proper lubrication for the burner pump

Dan

Randy

i have found it to be easier to go to a truck stop that sells off-road deisel and stock up. here in fla it is about 50 cents cheaper. or if you have the means you can get a fuel credit for all fuels that you burn from the IRS, you just pay the extra for tax now and get it back later. talk it over with your tax advisor, there are ways to save on fuel you just have to dig them up.

MQPorter

I have found that kerosene burns much cleaner, but I can't beat the price that I can get for off-road diesel. I find that I don't lose the temps that I lose when using kerosene.

Kevin

I spoke to a mechanic at a power washer dealer with 25 yrs experience and he laughed at me when I told him I burned kerosene. He said diesel is absolutely fine and burns hotter so save my $$$$$.

Ron Musgraves

Administrator
Staff member
Jack,
Keep using Diesel fuel. Some problems that will occur are that soot will build up on the burner coil and water moisture will build up in the fuel tanks. These problems can be minimized by using a product called Red Devil. This Product must be used CONSISTENTLY or it will not help. It is not an overnight cure for these problems. You must use it with frequency or not at all.
I purchase Diesel fuel for 90 cents a gallon with no road taxes from Phoenix Fuel. I am a lucky person to live in a metropolitan area. They have pumps throughout the city. Each of my rigs have 110 gallon tanks. This is due to D.O.T. regulations that state a rig can only carry 110 gallons of fuel. If you are in a rural area, you can transport up to 600 gallons of diesel fuel on a D.O.T. approved trailer but you must obtain a permit.
De-scaling your burner and draining your fuel tanks are small problems compared to the problems connected with kerosene use. Kerosene has a higher flash point than diesel. It is also more expensive (by approximately 50 cents a gallon. An increase of 64%) and much more dangerous. Kerosene is not readily available and must be stored at specific temperatures. Certain OASHA regulations ban the use of kerosene. Other major corporations have adopted these policies as well and also ban the use of gasoline and kerosene. I realize your machine may not burn diesel to run the motor but keep in mind, some companies will only allow machines run entirely by diesel fuel.
A special note when working inside of buildings, you MUST use propane. Any machine can burn propane as an alternative fuel. I am not suggesting that you use propane when working outdoors, but as far as environment and conditions, there is no better fuel.
From someone who has years of experience with this kind of work. I am always willing to give useful advice to those starting out in the business and I always look for ways to improve my company as well.
P.S.- Will have more info on flash points later.

Our Sponsors