Carwash Windows

Sherry

We have a customer who owns about 25 automated carwashes in our area. In the last few years they have rebuilt and modernized the carwashes and someone thought it would be a great idea to put windows in them to create a cheery light atmosphere. Well after about 1 year you can't see through the fogged windows because of the hard water, soap and wax build up. We've been cleaning these carwashes for 5 years and may now loose them if we can't come up with something to get these windows clean. We've tried everything we could think of but we are powerwashers, not window washers. We can't use too hot of water or we could damage the seal around the windows. Does anyone have any suggestions or experience with this type of filmy buildup?

Desperately seeking help,
Sherry:(

outlaw

Sherry,
I wash windows for a living, (trying to break into p/w right now), unfortunatly these windows are trashed, I have tried countless products and the best one I've found is MDR, it's made by Titan products and very fine grade steel wool, the problem is these windows are under constant battery and after that amount of time are too badly etched, whilst you will be able to get some of the surface deposits off the glass wont look that much better off for it, I run across this all the time with my residential customers who have their sprinkler heads located right in front of the windows. After saying all that I have heard of such an animal as a window restorer, I've never met one or even seen one, and between me and you I think it's just a gimick, when something you can see throug is trashed It's TRASHED. Sorry I couldn't be of much help but I will keep an eye on this thread just in case I can get any pointers on this subject.
Gav

Aplus

I don't know if this will help, but the other day I was looking at the ingrediants in various over the counter soap scum removers, and here is what I found:

They are either citric acid based (lysol brand), or phosphoric acid based (the Works brand), and both claim to dissolve away scum built up from soap, and hard water deposits.

Now I don't know if this is what you are seeing, but it might be worth a try.

If the glass is not etched, then maybe one of these cleaners will work. If it is etched, I would imagine they are out of luck.

Dave Olson

Hello Sherry,

Several years ago we cleaned the front of a building using acid. The frames of the glass doors held onto the liquid and allowed the acid/water to drip down on the glass after we had left.

We used this product http://www.eastwoodco.com/cgi-bin/sgin0101.exe . We saved the doors.

In your case if you can show your customer that it will take a great effort to save (if it can be done) the glass or replace and protect in the future. Hope you can save this account!

Dave Olson

outlaw

Ok Sherry, Just for you I went and checked with the queen of clean herself! Here's what she said.... Use undiluted, heated white vinegar in a spray bottle, let dwell for 15 minutes, then using a nylon covered sponge apply dry borax and scrub. For real stubborn problems use a dry soap filled steel wool pad on a dry shower. do not allow water to become involved in this process.
Best of Luck
Gav

timplummer1

winsol is the ultimate its hydroflouric mixed with hydrocloric,winsol 550 glass clearing agent call raceinsteins 800 221 3748 if that dont fix it glass replacement is all thats left

Sherry

Thank you all for your responses. I got some good ideas out of them. Sometimes you are too close to the forest to see the trees. I never even thought of the citric acid. We have extremely hard water here and when my dishes get a buildup of "yuck" on them I throw some citric acid into the dishwasher with the rinse cycle and they come out sparkling. Don't know if it'll work for the windows, but I'll try it along with all the other great ideas. At least they'll see we tried even if the windows are finished. Many thanks all!

Sherry

Mike Hughes

Ok, well, lets say for arguement, that the customer does go and replace the windows..............what can be done to prevent this from happening in the future?? Some sort of coating, sealant, or treatment to allow easier cleaning??

outlaw

Invisible shield surface treatment, according to the source my last post on this thread came from, available at Home Depot or call 1-800-528-3149. Im not endorcing it but I will try it if it's not too expensive and let yall know how it works.
Gav

outlaw

where would I get this from, if it works I could save some of my customers some greif and make extra money at the same time

windowpro

Sherry
Glass is a porous surface like any other, so when you cleaned with and acid base cleaner you are cleaning down to the finest pore, then the glass looks cleaner than ever before,but then corrosion, humidity, acid rain, What happen those pores deep in the glass start to fill up with some other molecules later on that piece of glass looks corrode and stains start to follow.
what I have notice lower PH chemicals may clean glass while higher PH chemicals could damage the glass
This is what I will do with the car wash windows:
Clean all windows with a phosphoric acid Cleaner scrubbing every window and frame.
I would try some safe restorer this may not work all depends on the stage of corrosion.
I would polished the windows either by hand or a polisher system
Finally protect your work with a sealer.
Get the account on maintenance.

Feel free to call me or PM and I explain it step by step.

Carlos Rodriguez
Blue Bay Window Cleaning
Sugar Land, TX
281-948-9959
Window Cleaning | Window Washing Services | Clean Windows - Highrise - Residential - Commercial

Our Sponsors